Planned landmark Madrid Apple Store to be larger than Fifth Ave location

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple is set to construct a third retail outlet in Madrid's famous "Tio Pepe" building, with floor space at the Puerta del Sol location expected to exceed that of the company's large Fifth Avenue store in New York.

Spanish publication TeleCinco.com reported on Thursday that Madrid city officials announced that the historic structure has been approved for renovations, and will include the construction of an Apple Store that is expected to occupy the first and second floors as well as part of the basement, according to ifoAppleStore.com.

Although the exact square footage of Apple's rented space is unknown, a report by El Pais claims that the new store will most likely exceed the size (machine translation) of the company's iconic Fifth Avenue location in New York. A source for the publication also claims that the renovation is being sponsored by the Cupertino, Calif. company.

The "Puerta del Sol #1" project will restore the facade of the building built in the 1860's to retrieve much of the luster lost since the Hotel Paris left the building four years ago. The French-style structure is listed in Spain's Catalogue of Protected buildings and plans for the renovation took nearly a year to reach approval.

?[The project] is one more link in the process of downtown revitalization, which will contribute to increasing commercial and tourist attractions of Madrid,? said Deputy Mayor Manuel Cobo.

Conceptualization of Apple's planned Madrid store at Puerta del Sol | Source: City of Madrid

Cobo notes that among the various structural upgrades, the renovation will add a vertical shaft for elevators, cabling and air conditioning to all levels of the building. The courtyard will be covered with glass to incorporate the space into the ground floor retail area, and will serve as a large central skylight.

As seen in Apple Stores around the world, the Puerta del Sol location will feature open-spaces and the melding of existing architecture with modern glass and steel designs.

Usually sitting atop the seven-story structure is the famous "Tio Pepe" lighted billboard, which advertises the best-selling sherry (jerez) in the world, however the famous sign has been removed temporarily as renovations take place.

Construction underway at "Tio Pepe" building | Source: El Pais

The Puerta del Sol is a landmark plaza in the Spanish capital which sees yearly New Year's Eve celebrations and was the staging area for the 2011 Spanish Revolution. Apple's new store will be located near the iconic Casa de Correos, and is within walking distance to one of the largest underground rail station in the world.

With renovations planned to finish by Fall 2012, the location will become home to the sixth Apple store in Spain and the third in Madrid.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I love Madrid. I love Spain. I love Spanish women.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    This is the Heart of the city. the best place for the new Store. Is going to be very big Success for sure!!!.

I know. I live there
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Yes, perfect place, This year the Movimiento de los Indignados, something similar to the 99% Movement took this location for months, I wonder how Apple as a symbol of USA and Capitalism will fall in a 2012 Spain of austerity measures!
  • Reply 4 of 15
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Like that's difficult.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:

I love the wine. I lived in Spain for two years in L'Escala near the French border ... Love Madrid too ... awesome place.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I love the wine. I lived in Spain for two years in L'Escala near the French border ... Love Madrid too ... awesome place.

I spent of my month in Alcalá de Henares .
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Mmm... Spanish women... (drool)...
  • Reply 8 of 15
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Hope they have an exit strategy from all this real estate. Apple is certainly doing well today. In 6-7 years, there is just no telling. Anyway, Apple has more money than I do so they are doing something right.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Hope they have an exit strategy from all this real estate. Apple is certainly doing well today. In 6-7 years, there is just no telling.

So you're a calmer version of slapppy, then.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So you're a calmer version of slapppy, then.

• Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Like that's difficult.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Well I'm more of a Barcelona kinda guy than Real Madrid, hipster that I am (not). But one day I will make it to Spain. Closest I got was a Spanish wine festival in London, and it was pretty interesting. A rather drunk Spanish lady was raving to me about her grandmother's recipe being served from one of the food stalls. It was pretty cool overall.

I recall overhearing a British guy say something like, "That's interesting how so many Spanish [obviously those living in England and others] come to this Spanish festival in London, if there was a British festival in Spain I'd avoid it like the plague".

That said, the Spanish economy is pretty bad. At least this Apple Store will employ a few of the almost 40% under 25 that are unemployed in the country.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Hope they have an exit strategy from all this real estate.

Yeah, I dunno... There's these things called leases, and I hear that you have to like, read them before you sign them and what not.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Well I'm more of a Barcelona kinda guy than Real Madrid, hipster that I am (not).

The you will like the new App Store that will open in the whole center of Barcelona. Also in a protected building
  • Reply 14 of 15
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Hope they have an exit strategy from all this real estate. Apple is certainly doing well today. In 6-7 years, there is just no telling. Anyway, Apple has more money than I do so they are doing something right.

Apple's retail space challenge is that some of their original spaces are too small...the location at the Westfield Shopping Center in Paramus NJ is one example. That location can easily increase by a third
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Apple's retail space challenge is that some of their original spaces are too small...the location at the Westfield Shopping Center in Paramus NJ is one example. That location can easily increase by a third

And here... Perth, Western Australia. Only one official Apple Store within, oh, 2000 miles in any direction. It's fully packed every day, and it's a decent medium-sized Apple Store.