The death of jail breaking...

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Looks like everyone better enjoy our jailbreaks on our older devices seeing as it doesn't appear Apple left a way in to unlock/jailbreak IPad 2 or iPhone 4s without limiting ourselves to never updating software... Looks like Apple finally sealed the door on jail breaking...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Um, no, not in the slightest. Your title is amazingly sensationalist.

There is always a way. There will always be a way. The thought that something is 'uncrackable' is laughable.

And if it's true, the U.S. government would have put in an order for 20,000,000 iPhone 4S'.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,341moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmhale View Post

Looks like everyone better enjoy our jailbreaks on our older devices seeing as it doesn't appear Apple left a way in to unlock/jailbreak IPad 2 or iPhone 4s without limiting ourselves to never updating software... Looks like Apple finally sealed the door on jail breaking...

This is the nature of jailbreaking. It uses operating system flaws to remove restrictions. The more exploits get patched, the harder it is to find new ones. The person who got the latest A4 5.0.1 untethered jailbreak said it took months to find the exploit. They are working on an A5 version but after Apple patches it in 5.0.2, they have to start over again.

All Apple really has to do is make it futile to keep doing it. They are doing this in two ways - by improving security, which is good for everyone and by implementing features that people use a jailbreak to get.

Yes, some people still want free 3G tethering and...

themes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moKF8YLmoxk

emulators:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmXPRMndAns

customisations:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaj2GysS0OA

but they aren't all that important to the usage of the device. It's not as if you can customise other systems entirely either. Android claims to be open but how do you change the number of home-screens? You can't get rid of the home screen and just list all your apps. You have to replace the stock Android system with custom ROMs.

As soon as you make more compromises by jailbreaking than gaining benefits, it will die out. Less than 10% of iOS owners jailbreak their devices because they are probably satisfied with what the stock system does and don't want to risk voiding the warranty on a $500 phone.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    It is sensationalist but there is a shift. Apps and better functionality in iOS5 leaves not much need to jailbreak for most people.

The iPhone 4, 4S and iPad 2 has been pretty well locked down. It's quite different from the days of the 3G and 3GS on iOS 3 and 4.

Not to mention the carrier locks, which are still very hard to circumvent.

Speaking of which, increasing availability on multiple carriers, multiple countries and fully-unlocked legal purchases of iPhones makes jailbreaking much less important than before.

It hasn't died, but the massive interest will wane somewhat, I imagine. Even for me, it's been months since I looked at the iPhone Dev Team website in any detail. Mainly because video mirroring is available on stock iPad 2 and iPhone 4S, as well as tethering where I am, and notifications and Siri does enough heavy lifting for me not to need various popular jailbreak-scene apps.