RIM strangely charging same $299 for 16GB, 32GB & 64GB PlayBook models

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Landcruiser View Post

It's just a clear the inventory strategy. They will sell them all off just as fast as HP's fire sale. Starting with the 644GB, then the 32GB, then the 16GB (for the slow decision makers). Get 'em while you can. And don't expect any support down the road from RIM.

But it shows they just couldn't be bothered to even price them differently, degrading the company image and clearly saying, "We don't give a toss about this product, just give us money and take whatever you want". Notwithstanding even at 64GB it's still $299 right down the toilet. This is getting so farcical it's just sad.
  • Reply 42 of 46
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

And how many years did it take RIM's board to figure out that there was a problem?

RIM's board did nothing for years. HP's board did many stupid things for years.

Which is worse?

Yeah, for the past 10 years, I just don't know what the purpose of a board is. In most cases where the company sucks, either the board controls the company and just parades CEOs in and out... or, in the case of RIM, and Microsoft, founders or CEOs are also on the Board, and it's just as bad.

What exactly is the Board of Directors supposed to do? The only thing I understand is how Steve did it, when he came back to Apple he cleared out the board, and even then, a Judas betrayed him several years later!

Personally, I think the rate of change of technology means that tech and soon, other non-tech companies cannot have a useless, bloated board.

I suppose the role of the board is to have somebody that can replace the CEO and COO without mutiny from other C-level executives. But how do you completely gut the board if you're a CEO or COO? From Steve's biography, it's not clear how he did it, though we do get some insight into the process.

The board - what is it good for? Sing it with me...
  • Reply 43 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Lol, shipping an unpolished tablet without an email app. That's how RIM defines amateur hour being over.

Of course it makes perfect sense. All us babies need to have everything organised in rows and columns and a specific little picture to click on to see our emails. We are amateurs.

On the other hand, if you want to check your emails on a Playbook, you need to sync your Blackberry phone with it via bluetooth or something and make sure everything is perfect and stuff, looking at the settings and all that and then you can get your emails! That is something only a pro can do.

What is sweeter? Something served to you on a platter, or something that you work hard for with blood, sweat and tears? We amateurs need our platter. The pros, they want to do it the old fashioned way.

See, it makes perfect sense. With the Playbook, amateur hour is truly over.

Now, to figure out if one is an amateur or a pro, one needs to answer a simple question - can you rootz ur phon?
  • Reply 44 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

Of course it makes perfect sense. All us babies need to have everything organised in rows and columns and a specific little picture to click on to see our emails. We are amateurs.

On the other hand, if you want to check your emails on a Playbook, you need to sync your Blackberry phone with it via bluetooth or something and make sure everything is perfect and stuff, looking at the settings and all that and then you can get your emails! That is something only a pro can do.

What is sweeter? Something served to you on a platter, or something that you work hard for with blood, sweat and tears? We amateurs need our platter. The pros, they want to do it the old fashioned way.

See, it makes perfect sense. With the Playbook, amateur hour is truly over.

Now, to figure out if one is an amateur or a pro, one needs to answer a simple question - can you rootz ur phon?

The meaning of "amateur" has evolved to be one of derision or ineptitude.

However, the word is derived from the Latin amare 'to love' and describes someone who does something for the love of doing it -- rather than being paid for doing it.

In the early days of microcomputers, amateurs like Woz and Jobs set the direction for all that followed.

Likely, both remained "amateurs" in their endeavors since...
  • Reply 45 of 46
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

In the most recent quarter, HP's profits were $240 M. You're saying that a number equal to 40% of a quarter's profits is nothing to a company? Remind me never to invest in a company that you run.

Thank you! Thank you for providing an illustrative example of cherry-picking numbers to salvage a false thesis, hoping no one would notice.

HP's typical quarterly profits are greater than $1B. Their annual revenues > $100B. They purchased WebOS/Palm for >$1B. They wrote off WebOS products to the tune of > $3B. Their typical operating cash flow .... Well, I could go on. But the point is that, with all these numbers, you pick the solitary figure that apparently supports your argument.

In truth, there are many more numbers, including the ones I just listed, that helps one understand/appreciate the (in)significance of $100M. To cite $240M is misleading, for it is not only a blip but also provides insufficient context.

I'm sure you'll find a way to disagree, just as a recalcitrant person might insist crossing the ocean on foot after taking the wrong turn. It's the norm around here. But you'll still be all wet ... and salty too.
  • Reply 46 of 46
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    This is a bad pricing strategy. They could charge more for the 32GB and 64GB models. Now they just ruined their brand image.