OSX & Lexmark...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have read that Lexmark is one of the best companies out there that supports OS X in their driver development. Yet the 2 printers that I use all the time, I can't seem to find a solution for. Does anyone know how to get either a Lexmark Z11 or X63 to print in OS X? The problem with the Z11 is it's a parallel printer and I would have to share it over my WinTel box as my iBook doesn't support that connection. The X63 is USB, so that solution should be an easier one. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    cyko95cyko95 Posts: 391member
    Does anyone use Lexmark in OS X?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    mandricardmandricard Posts: 486member
    I have an e312, and it would not print in x unless I set it not to use Binary when talking to the printer (whatever that means.) once I did that, it printed in X beautifully, but I have to switch it to Binary Yes when I use OS9.

A bit of a drag.

Mandricard

AppleOutsider

p.s. Here is the readme that accompanied the DropPrintUSB application from Lexmark:

[quote]

BINARY NO = OSX

BINARY YES = OS 9

The purpose of this archive and the files contained therein is to disable the filtering of Binary data on a Lexmark printer attached via a USB connection to a Macintosh.

This archive file contains five files :

BINARY.YES\t\t\tThis will disable binary filtering on the printer and should allow you to print binary data

BINARY.NO\t\t\tThis will undo the above and re-enable filtering (should you need it or want to start over)

BINARY.QRY\t\t\tThis will show if filtering is active or not by printing a page saying "NONE" or "INTERPRETER BASED"

DROP PRINT USB\t\tThis is an Apple-written application which will send the above files to the printer over a USB connection.

README\t\t\tThis instruction file

INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE :

Click on the file and it should extract to a folder containing all of the files.

Double-click on DROP PRINT USB and select your printer.

Click on File - Select File and choose the BINARY.YES file.

The printer should blink and go back to ready. Nothing should print out. The DATA light may remain on solid. If this happens, wait 5 seconds then press the button quickly and release.

After the printer goes back to READY and the data light goes out, click on File - Select File and choose the BINARY.QRY file.

The printer should blink and print out one page. If everything went correctly the page should say NONE in the center. If the page says INTERPRETER BASED, then the BINARY.YES file did not work and you should retry that step. If it still fails, please contact Lexmark Customer Support at 1-800-LEXMARK.

This procedure needs only be done once UNLESS the printer is reset to Factory Defaults. If this happens, it will need to be done again.

<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 3 of 3
    gmongmon Posts: 13member
    [quote]Originally posted by cyko95:

<strong>I have read that Lexmark is one of the best companies out there that supports OS X in their driver development. Yet the 2 printers that I use all the time, I can't seem to find a solution for. Does anyone know how to get either a Lexmark Z11 or X63 to print in OS X? The problem with the Z11 is it's a parallel printer and I would have to share it over my WinTel box as my iBook doesn't support that connection. The X63 is USB, so that solution should be an easier one. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

One solution for the Z11 would be to get a broadband router with builtin print server such as a Linksys or SMC Barricade. That way both the iBook and the wintel box could print to it and you wouldn't have to dedicate a computer to serve as a print server.