Microsoft exec admits Windows Phone was response to Apple's iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 118
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Once again, I'd like to offer my thanks and congratulations to Microsoft for making something with an original UI and use style for once in their company's existence. I wish only for Windows Phone 7 to be made better. Android as an iOS competitor isn't a stable future, and Apple needs SOMETHING in the way of professional competition to prevent monopoly whiners and keep innovation pushing forward.

I think it's better the way it is with Microsoft being squeezed out of the market with their IE browser and DirectX graphics. Now the mobile majority is on webkit, OpenGL and a unix platform. This will force a major change in desktop technology for the better.

The fact that Android has its quality issues is good because it means that it will be viewed as a cheap alternative to a better quality product.

The Windows Phone UI is innovative but it still has a lot of the same multi-touch gestures as iOS so the uniqueness feels like change for the sake of being different not for being better.
  • Reply 42 of 118
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:

Once again, I'd like to offer my thanks and congratulations to Microsoft for making something with an original UI and use style for once in their company's existence.

Is your endorsement based on the way MS's product looks on screen, or instead/in addition to the way it performs and the unique features it offers? What I'm asking really is have you used it for any appreciable time to get a feel for it, or is your opinion coming mostly from articles you've seen? Some who have praised MS mobile OS sound more like the ABA. . . Anyone But Android. On the other hand you usually have specific logical reasons for your opinions.
  • Reply 43 of 118
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

To think Microsoft chewed off their good arm (Courier) in their effort to get out.

You mean those fantasy land Photoshopped marketing images? Courier is nothing but a marketting pitch to make it look like Microsoft innovates. Anyone can photoshop images of something ... seems only Apple can actually make things.
  • Reply 44 of 118
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

You mean those fantasy land Photoshopped marketing images? Courier is nothing but a marketting pitch to make it look like Microsoft innovates. Anyone can photoshop images of something ... seems only Apple can actually make things.

This was photo-shopped?

http://www.pclaunches.com/entry_imag...ourier-mod.jpg
  • Reply 45 of 118
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

This was photo-shopped?

http://www.pclaunches.com/entry_imag...ourier-mod.jpg

Of course that wasn't photoshopped! But pretty much all the rest of the leaked material was.
  • Reply 46 of 118
    What struck me about this article was the part about SB's feelings over the first iteration of the software.

This really made me understand something about Apple.

SJ had a very good understanding of what consumers wanted and didn't want. Hence the success Apple has seen over the last 10 years.

My real question is this, is there anyone at Apple now who has that clear insight into the consumers brain that SJ had?
  • Reply 47 of 118
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    If Microsoft brought WP7 even a year earlier they might've had a chance. Still, they came so far thy shouldn't give up now. The smartphone market is still young and growing. Eventually they might grow to 10% but it will be a struggle. I used WP7 and found it really good, one day I might consider it, I will surely recommend it to others.
  • Reply 48 of 118
    basjhjbasjhj Posts: 97member
    Well, if I owned $MSFT I would certainly vote for Ballmer's ouster. He almost f*cked up completely, whereas Myerson and Belfiore seem fairly competent. Steve Jobs might have liked them
  • Reply 49 of 118
    kovichkovich Posts: 43member
    The suggestion on this thread is Ballmer and other top management at MSFT would need to leave before it can turn itself around. I would tend to disagree: good leaders rarely make bad companies good and bad leaders rarely make good companies bad. In my view organisational cultures are the primary internal reason for success or failure at companies and the world of business is littered with leaders who were unable to change the culture of organisations as large as Microsoft.

There is also a feeling that Windows Phone might benefit us all by holding Apple's feet to the fire and I can't see that happening as I can't see the OS making sufficient inroads to trouble anyone at Apple. I applaud the sentiment but can't see it happening.
  • Reply 50 of 118
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You contradict yourself. What's easier to use than a "UI designed for pre-schoolers?"

Apparently, you never watched a Harvard graduate with a Doctorate sweat it out on the game show "Are you smarter than a fifth grader?"

Preshool and easy is just assumption on your part.

And you know what hey say when you assume?!

/

/

/
  • Reply 51 of 118
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:

Once again, I'd like to offer my thanks and congratulations to Microsoft for making something with an original UI and use style for once in their company's existence. I wish only for Windows Phone 7 to be made better. Android as an iOS competitor isn't a stable future, and Apple needs SOMETHING in the way of professional competition to prevent monopoly whiners and keep innovation pushing forward.

Microsoft should also be congratulated for not taking the Google route. Microsoft took the brave step of rebuilding from the ground up. It takes a long time to create a full featured OS like iOS. Apple put the time in to making this happen. Google cheated by 1) using without permission Java as the OS underpinnings, and 2) throwing an iOS style GUI on top. It is easier to copy the leader then carve your own path. The updating tiles really is a cool feature. Parts of the OS do seem cartoony to me though.

I wish Microsoft success with the phone, but at the expense of Android, not Apple (provided Apple keeps innovating). I think Microsoft partnering with Nokia was a smart move, as most Android based phones are very cheaply made including the high end ones by Samsung, HTC, and Motorola. You just have to place one in your hand next to an iPhone to understand that. Nokia makes decent hardware. I kept a four year old Nokia phone alive on T-Mobile hoping for an iPhone announcement. Eventually I gave up and unlocked iPhones.

If Android become too costly via lawsuits, I suspect more companies will try to push windows based phones. The Windows license costs some manufacturers the same as what they are now paying in patent licensing. Further, MS indemnifies hardware manufacturers in lawsuits. Google does not.
  • Reply 52 of 118
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Yeah the pre-iPhone days were really terrible. I envy the next generation who go to grow up with all this handy technology.

Not me- in retrospect, I'm glad our phones sucked and texting hadn't really taken off yet (I'm 28)- it forced me to eat dinner and make eye contact, as well as learned how to speak with someone with words, not with emoticons and horrid abbreviations.

The communication skills of our youth are ridiculous. I don't know if I've made eye contact with anyone 12-18. Lol (for those who speak in emoticon)
  • Reply 53 of 118
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Quote:

Is your endorsement based on the way MS's product looks on screen, or instead/in addition to the way it performs and the unique features it offers? What I'm asking really is have you used it for any appreciable time to get a feel for it, or is your opinion coming mostly from articles you've seen? Some who have praised MS mobile OS sound more like the ABA. . . Anyone But Android. On the other hand you usually have specific logical reasons for your opinions.

And WP7 has some nice aspects to it. It is very fluid and responsive though the first version was slow as flowing mud when it came to opening apps. Text selection is almost as good as iOS and miles better than Android (Gingerbread. I have not used ICS enough to know if Google finally made CCP workable and useable). The WP7 hub concept of services and the UI associated with it is unique and highly functional. It is good for getting in and getting out with info. The new browser is pretty good. Again, not quiet Mobile Safari good but it beets the pants of the stock Android browser (Honeycomb. Again, I have not used ICS enough to determine if Google fixed the jerky jumpy poor finger response of the browser that is prevalent on HC and prior).

I don't like app selection on WP7 and that is its single biggest drawback. The list just does not do it fore me.
  • Reply 54 of 118
    Quote:

Is your endorsement based on the way MS's product looks on screen, or instead/in addition to the way it performs and the unique features it offers?

Both.

Quote:

What I'm asking really is have you used it for any appreciable time to get a feel for it, or is your opinion coming mostly from articles you've seen?

I've not really read any articles on Windows Phone 7, but I have used it for a few hours on multiple devices. I wrote a paper on non-Apple mobile OS' and it was one of them. I've not used one as my own actual device, but if iOS didn't exist and this did, I certainly would, even with my general aversion to Microsoft products.

In my use, I just came across impressed. Some of the finer things aren't as intuitive as iOS, but all in all, they've thought it out well.

Quote:

Some who have praised MS mobile OS sound more like the ABA. . . Anyone But Android.

To be fair, I'm sort of like that. I have no problem giving Google credit for the great things they've done in their myriad fields (dude, SELF DRIVING CARS, are you kidding me?! Why aren't they everywhere right NOW?!), but Android as a whole just isn't one of those things.
  • Reply 55 of 118
    sricesrice Posts: 120member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

In other words: "We decided we couldn't allow ourselves to be viewed as having copied the look and feel of Apple's software......again."

So I think their Metro UI design decision is much more sinister.

If they came out with a mobile OS similar to iOS/Android, they wouldn't be able to exert their monopoly desktop power to force people to use the new MS mobile OS.

HOWEVER, if they came up with an all new design -- METRO, and then aligned their monopoly desktop with the METRO UI, now they can then use the monopoly desktop power to coerce enterprises to buy both Metro desktop OS and Metro mobile OS.

It's all about leveraging their existing power. I just hope that HTML5 standards and usage are strong enough to stop the power play and not force enterprises into a specific desktop OS five years from now. Heck, I'm kind of hoping there isn't a 'desktop' OS in 5 years.
  • Reply 56 of 118
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

In other words: "We decided we couldn't allow ourselves to be viewed as having copied the look and feel of Apple's software......again."

You nailed it. There is a wonderful irony there isn't there? The only successful things Microsoft ever had was when they totally copied / ripped off Apple, now Google has repeated that but Microsoft decided not to this time. I suspect their latest effort will zune (used as a verb .. to zune: to fail miserably).
  • Reply 57 of 118
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You nailed it. There is a wonderful irony there isn't there? The only successful things Microsoft ever had was when they totally copied / ripped off Apple, now Google has repeated that but Microsoft decided not to this time. I suspect there latest effort will zune (used as a verb .. to zune: to fail miserably).

And Samsung is by far the most successful Android-based vendor, and probably only second in handset profits behind Apple.

Mimicry and theft are powerful forces throughout the biological world. Perhaps the same foundations of survival and success also permeate the business world.
  • Reply 58 of 118
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

To think Microsoft chewed off their good arm (Courier) in their effort to get out.

I hated the Courier concept as soon as I saw it. They never said how they were going to solve the battery question, b/c w/those 2 screens sucking power, it would have been gone quickly. I've heard competing talk about various aspects, like J Allard saying no email on Courier, just use your phone or your desktop and then other people in various threads insisting it did have email. Exchange, Outlook and Office are the big things MS would have wanted to make sure were supported to be able to push Courier toward the enterprise customers and people can't even agree if that was there or not.

Yes there are dual screen devices on the market like the Nintendo DS, but the DS has less RAM and a much slower processor, not to mention much smaller screens. The DS Lite has fantastic battery life, the 3DS could have definite improvements in that area, altho it has a better processor, 3D capabilities and bigger screens too, so that's a trade off.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

while i agree that Ballmer isn't Steve

Actually he IS Steve, that's his first name too

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

I have a huge amount of respect for him. Since he became CEO, Microsoft stopped being evil.

They traded evil for stupid. I don't think that's much of an improvement
  • Reply 59 of 118
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maecvs View Post

Are you kidding me? It's interesting to look back though, how monkey boy initially said the iPhone was never going to go anywhere, or be successful.

In that interview with Balmer he was referring to the iPhone when it was priced at $600. He was right (gasp!) in that sense. $600 was too high a price for high volume sales. That's what he laughed about. He quickly stopped laughing when AT&T subsidized the iPhone and Apple lowered the price to $200.
  • Reply 60 of 118
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And Samsung is by far the most successful Android-based vendor, and probably only second in handset profits behind Apple.

Mimicry and theft are powerful forces throughout the biological world. Perhaps the same foundations of survival and success also permeate the business world.

Biology doesn't work that way though does it? Mimicry in biology is usually of the kind where a weak, pathetic creature pretends to be a successful, powerful one by the use of similar looks. Oh wait a minute ...