Blu-Ray vs iTunes and the Mac [2012]

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Okay, it's been awhile since we had one of these BR threads in Future Hardware.

Truthfully, I don't really want to start the old arguments all over again. I just noticed this:

Pioneer Announces BDR-XD04 ? The Smallest Blu-Ray Burner

It says that Macbook and MacBook Air owners can write to BR using this drive. The drive releases next week.

Did I miss a memo? Has Apple enabled native BR capabilities in Lion? I presume if you can write to BR you can play one as well?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Did I miss a memo? Has Apple enabled native BR capabilities in Lion? I presume if you can write to BR you can play one as well?

Reading/writing has been possible for quite some time. Movie playback is a totally different matter, with only one single application offering it, and that not very efficient.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    You've been able to write to Blu-ray discs since at least Leopard. Movie playback requires third-party applications, but has also been possible for years.

Apple themselves will never add the drives nor OS-level movie playback support.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Ah, thanks. So this is good for data backup only. Got it.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I have to say that since now we know that Apple will never implement BD playback in the OS AND it's possible to implement playback without their help, I'm more than a little surprised that another third party hasn't stepped up and delivered a solution. Roxio, El Gato, or even the PC makers like CyberLink could make the software for OS X and really fill a big hole.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Okay, it's been awhile since we had one of these BR threads in Future Hardware.

Truthfully, I don't really want to start the old arguments all over again. I just noticed this:

Pioneer Announces BDR-XD04 ? The Smallest Blu-Ray Burner

It says that Macbook and MacBook Air owners can write to BR using this drive. The drive releases next week.

I think this is an external burner. Apple macs dont have built in blu ray players. You can write to blu rays with programs such as Roxio Toast and Compressor from Final Cut Pro. Also, check out Mac blu ray player: http://www.macblurayplayer.com/
  • Reply 6 of 8

The truth is Apple may never support BD playing but some third party blu-ray player can achieve this, like Mac Blu-ray Player, Windows Blu-ray Player , etc. A blu-ray driver would be necessary to watch a blu-ray movie on Mac. Mac Blu-ray Player is recommended for this. Free trial with a watermark on screen which would disappear once purchased, 33% off during Halloween Day.

http://www.macblurayplayer.com/mac-bluray-player-offers-discount-on-halloween-day.htm

• Reply 7 of 8

The truth is Apple may never support BD playing but some third party blu-ray player can achieve this, like Mac Blu-ray Player, Windows Blu-ray Player , etc. A blu-ray driver would be necessary to watch a blu-ray movie on Mac. Mac Blu-ray Player is recommended for this. Free trial with a watermark on screen which would disappear once purchased, 33% off during Halloween Day. For your convenience, go here

http://www.macblurayplayer.com/mac-bluray-player-offers-discount-on-halloween-day.htm

• Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PogoStick29 View Post

I think this is an external burner. Apple macs dont have built in blu ray players. You can write to blu rays with programs such as Roxio Toast and Compressor from Final Cut Pro. Also, check out Mac blu ray player: http://www.macblurayplayer.com/

I don't think Apple company will solve Blu-ray playback problem on its Mac machines in recent years, so you may look for other solutions. MacGo software works fine on my MacBook Air.