54% of future smartphone buyers say they'll choose Apple's iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

A new survey has found Apple has "explosive momentum" at the beginning of 2012, with more than half of people who plan to buy a smartphone in the next 90 days choosing Apple's iPhone.

The latest data revealed on Monday by ChangeWave Research comes from a survey of 4,000 North American consumers. Among imminent smartphone buyers, 54 percent said they will get an iPhone.

Though that number is down 11 points from the 65 percent who said they planned to buy an iPhone just after the iPhone 4S launched, ChangeWave noted the numbers show Apple has held on to much of that launch momentum.

"Apple has never dominated smartphone planned buying to this extent more than two months after a major new release," the research firm said.

The poll, conducted in December, also reveals a strong showing for Samsung, which saw its purchase intent grow from 5 percent in the previous survey conducted in September to 13 percent in December. Samsung's surge puts it well ahead of Motorola's 7 percent, HTC with 3 percent, and Research in Motion with just 2 percent.

And as in previous surveys, the latest ChangeWave poll once again revealed that customer satisfaction with the iPhone handily trumps the competition. Among those surveyed, 75 percent said they are "very satisfied" with Apple's iPhone.

Samsung and HTC were in a dead heat for second place among customer satisfaction, with 47 percent of users of each company's devices saying they are "very satisfied." In fourth, 45 percent of Motorola customers were "very satisfied," followed by 31 percent for LG, 23 percent for Nokia, and 22 percent for RIM.

The survey shows little good news, if any, for RIM and its struggling BlackBerry lineup. While demand for the iPhone has grown and customer satisfaction has remained high, RIM hit new lows in the latest ChangeWave survey. Even the BlackBerry operating system could only muster a 22 percent satisfaction rating.

Among mobile operating systems, the poll found that Microsoft's new Windows Phone platform, which the company admits was a response to the success of the iPhone, ranks higher than Google's Android. The survey found 55 percent of Windows Phone users were "very satisfied," compared to 47 percent of Android users. But Microsoft's previous generation Windows Mobile operating system dragged down the company's overall score, as only 12 percent of Windows Mobile users said they were "very satisfied."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    The iPad 3 and the iPhone 5(or whatever they call it) will send Apple's bank account North of 100 billion. I'm saving for the psp vita, the iPhone # and the iPad 3. Hell yeah!!!!
  • Reply 2 of 48
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member
    Or for a different view based on the same data.

Interest in iPhone drops 17% in 3 months, while the number of people planning on buying samsung has increased 160% in the same period.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    Yeah to me it looks like a number of perspective buyers have basically switched from wanting an iPhone to wanting a Samsung (probably Android) phone. Although the number of people wanting an iPhone is still amazingly high, such a considerable decrease/increase should be well noted. Samsung is very quickly becoming synonymous with Android.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Yeah to me it looks like a number of perspective buyers have basically switched from wanting an iPhone to wanting a Samsung (probably Android) phone. Although the number of people wanting an iPhone is still amazingly high, such a considerable decrease/increase should be well noted. Samsung is very quickly becoming synomonous with Android.

I would also like to note that people who 'claim' they will buy a device has no direct relation to people who actually buy them.

For instance http://psvitaplanet.com/sonys-survey...l-buy-ps-vita/

Even higher than these numbers

Additionaly, these statistics do not show these people will 'choose' the iPhone, as there will be people who will buy for instance both an iPhone as well as a galaxy s2/note. Choosing implies something different....
  • Reply 5 of 48
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    What was the interest drop over the same period for past iPhone releases? Changewave says this is App,e hanging on to momentum, but the first commenters say bad news for Apple. Which commenters looked up that important past info? I bet changewave did...
  • Reply 6 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mausz View Post

I would also like to note that people who 'claim' they will buy a device has no direct relation to people who actually buy them.

For instance http://psvitaplanet.com/sonys-survey...l-buy-ps-vita/

Even higher than these numbers

Yeah it's typically the case that what people say they will buy is different to what they actually buy. But it's still a shift regardless.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shen View Post

What was the interest drop over the same period for past iPhone releases? Changewave says this is App,e hanging on to momentum, but the first commenters say bad news for Apple. Which commenters looked up that important past info? I bet changewave did...

I suspect that the September 2011 results were artificially high in expectation of the new iPhone. The December results might just be that stabilising.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Interest in iPhone drops 17% in 3 months, while the number of people planning on buying samsung has increased 160% in the same period.

Or alternatively, many of those intending to buy the 4S have now bought it, leading to a dip in those planning to buy. There are presumably dips and troughs in sales as new models of phones from the various manufacturers are released.

It would be much more interesting if sales figures for the same market were available to compare. If these data are representative then they should approximately equal the forward 90 day rolling average sales share. Since there is very likely to have been a spike in iPhone sales after the 4S was released, the numbers don't seem unreasonable.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    Despite the "decline", iPhone demand is not going down if you exclude the pent-up demand. Although no solid previous data shown, the logic is pretty straight forward (emphasis mine):

Quote:

While down slightly from a September survey, iPhone demand remained unusually high in December, according to new ChangeWave Research poll data. Of people planning to buy a smartphone in the next 90 days, 54 percent in the most recent survey said they were aiming to get an iPhone. While the number is down from 65 percent in September, ChangeWave remarks that Apple has never held such solid control more than two months after a major product release; the iPhone 4S shipped in mid-October.

Read more: http://www.electronista.com/articles...#ixzz1iyP6w1Ud

• Reply 10 of 48
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member
    Except that the current buying trends don't support any of these "future buying predictions". Apple is nowhere near even 50% of current smartphone purchases even considering just the US, it's strongest market.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    A percentage of them will buy Androids, because they will either get cheap at actual purchase time, or a Fandroid will convince them to. I know a handful of people who fall into one of the two categories. A number of them are females persuaded by their boyfriends/husbands.

They all regret not getting an iPhone.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

A percentage of them will buy Androids, because they will either get cheap at actual purchase time, or a Fandroid will convince them to. I know a handful of people who fall into one of the two categories. A number of them are females persuaded by their boyfriends/husbands.

I also know lots of people who got an android phone and absolutely love them. They also bought them for other reasons than the 2 you mentioned.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Two years from now I'm replacing my iPhone 4S with another iPhone
  • Reply 14 of 48
    Quote:

I do think AppleZilla is right, the people who buy Apple products (including me) are low educated or female.

It's not about specs, it's not about the brand, it's about the status you get with an iPhone.

That's the reason I bought my iPhone.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Don Pedro View Post

…low educated or female.

And I'm neither, so there goes your argument.

Quote:

it's about the status

For the first week, perhaps.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

Or they say they are going to buy an iPhone because that's what people talk about, but once they walk into the carrier's store or visit their web site and see all other choices they can't considered before that, and then they decide they want a bigger screen or something like that.

But contrary to your last statements, I have yet to meet an Android owner who regrets their choice. They usually have specific reasons why they chose Android, and it's never been about price. And the comment about females being pursuaded by their boyfriends/husbands to get Android is very curious since I think a higher percentage of female friends have Android vs the men, including the women's significant others who have iPhones. One reason: women often carry purses so it's easier to carry around a larger screened device. (I know one couple where the husband will ask his wife to carry his "small" iPhone in her purse when they are out together because he doesn't want to carry it in his pocket.)
  • Reply 17 of 48
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Except that the current buying trends don't support any of these "future buying predictions". Apple is nowhere near even 50% of current smartphone purchases even considering just the US, it's strongest market.

It's not about a direct correlation to buying habits. It's more about mindshare, and control thereof.

As long as Apple controls the mindshare, they're in a very good position.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Well, Apple has likely already sold about 25 million 4S's, so the number of people wanting to buy one soon has dropped, and Samsung has just come out with new models, so that number has grown. It's still a small number though.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Where do they find these future people?
  • Reply 20 of 48
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Yeah to me it looks like a number of perspective buyers have basically switched from wanting an iPhone to wanting a Samsung (probably Android) phone. Although the number of people wanting an iPhone is still amazingly high, such a considerable decrease/increase should be well noted. Samsung is very quickly becoming synonymous with Android.

Other Android manufacturers have to worry about Samsung more than Apple does. HTC in particular, from articles in the business sites, has problems.