CES: Acer unveils new cloud service, copies Apple's iCloud presentation

Comments

• Reply 41 of 84
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    No... no... you see, the trolls, whiners, and copyist will simply say that Apple doesn't own the patent on blue backgrounds, white text, position of identical graphics, or grids, or <insert self-fabricated whining item here>, etc...

Personally, this explains why pre-Apple "innovations" where just the same beige-box mentality and no one had a clue how to do anything.
  • Reply 42 of 84
    I can't really think of another way you actually put it on a slide. But even still the concept is a complete copy of Apple.

What I really don't get though is the 30 days thing. I have a hard enought time understanding Apples limit on photo's let alone a 30 day version. The cloud service I use for syncing my photos needs to sync all of them as its also doubling up as a backup. Limiting it is just making is useless, you'll be showing someone some photo's of a wedding that was months ago only then to find half way though you've reached photo 10,000 and the rest are missing.
  • Reply 43 of 84
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

I can't really think of another way you actually put it on a slide. But even still the concept is a complete copy of Apple.

What I really don't get though is the 30 days thing. I have a hard enought time understanding Apples limit on photo's let alone a 30 day version. The cloud service I use for syncing my photos needs to sync all of them as its also doubling up as a backup. Limiting it is just making is useless, you'll be showing someone some photo's of a wedding that was months ago only then to find half way though you've reached photo 10,000 and the rest are missing.

Very true indeed.

As for acer, well, what to say? this is beyond pathetic, it's surreal.... and kinda sums up what they are about...
  • Reply 44 of 84
  • Reply 45 of 84
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"It's not identical, they reversed the position of the phone and computer!"

They DID outright steal Apple's Wi-Fi icon, though.

Actually the reason it is reverse is someone set a picture of the actually side and it got reverse when it was share, they actually though the did it the same way, the problem is the apple brushed metal looking cloud it not available out on the web so they have to steel that somewhere else.

The thing that kills me about these companies, they somehow think they can recreate what apple is doing, Acers somehow thinks he can create a cloud service and we can somehow sync various competing products from various companies and make it all work well together. We all know how this is going to end, Acers will pay millions of dollar to rent server space only to loose on it. I do not think anyone believe for a minute they built their own data centers. If they did that's losses of millions more.
  • Reply 46 of 84
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

...the presenters heard of any of the gazillion photo sharing services,....

So which of these "gazillion photo sharing services" require no user intervention whatsoever, apart from entering a user name and password as part of the initial set up, to have photo's shared seamlessly across a multitude of devices?
  • Reply 47 of 84
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So which of these "gazillion photo sharing services" require no user intervention whatsoever, apart from entering a user name and password as part of the initial set up, to have photo's shared seamlessly across a multitude of devices?

Picasa. Dropbox. SugarSync.

Apple did not invent cloud computing, period.

Quite possibly, they did not invent the slide in question either:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by markvdrheijden View Post

Apple, shameless copycats: http://www.ontwerps.nl/wp-content/up.../sugarsync.jpg

• Reply 48 of 84
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Apple did not invent cloud computing, period.

Quite possibly, they did not invent the slide in question either:

Those are not the same PhotoStream. I love how just doing something with internet storage means it's somehow stolen. In that case you need to argue that Dropbox, SugarSync and Picasa all stole from iDisk as it predates all of them. Or... you could look at the service being introduced by AcerCloud to see how there is a very strong similarity to an Apple product.

You might want to check out Samsung's SwipeIt while you're at it. You and others will need some time to find ways that it's nothing like AirPlay.

PS: Dropbox didn't copy from iDisk.
  • Reply 49 of 84
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:

Exactly.

I've never understood what's in it for AI to dumb down its users.

I get it, the slide looks like Apple's (not worth an article IMO) by I don't get why they then try to pretend that Apple invented the cloud?

All that happens is readers end up looking like idiots when they don't know other cloud services existed before iCloud.
  • Reply 50 of 84
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member
    You have to be a fool to copy iCloud... it sucks big time
  • Reply 51 of 84
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    The only similarities are 3 devices under a cloud, the devices are different plus the cloud is different. Apple has neither coined nor copyrighted the term cloud and a icon for it. Does it look similar, yes, is it a direct copy, no.
  • Reply 52 of 84
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Exactly.

I've never understood what's in it for AI to dumb down its users.

I get it, the slide looks like Apple's (not worth an article IMO) by I don't get why they then try to pretend that Apple invented the cloud?

All that happens is readers end up looking like idiots when they don't know other cloud services existed before iCloud.

You guys honestly can't see how Acer has blatantly copies Apple's PhotoSteam here or are really that unobservant?
    Canned reply: "Not uh! Acer removes photos after 30 days and Apple keeps the last 1000 on devices. That completely different."
  • Reply 53 of 84
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Those are not the same PhotoStream.

I never said they were.

Quote:

I love how just doing something with internet storage means it's somehow stolen.

It is stolen? That's news to me.

Quote:

In that case you need to argue that ...

In what case? I don't believe I need to argue.

Quote:

... you could look at the service being introduced by AcerCloud to see how there is a very strong similarity to an Apple product.

I could, but I won't, since I don't give a rat's behind for most services that come bundled with hardware purchases.

Quote:

You might want to check out Samsung's SwipeIt while you're at it. You and others will need some time to find ways that it's nothing like AirPlay.

I do expect companies to continue working on DLNA development. If Samsung are developing their own proprietary protocol instead, then I couldn't care less about it, whether it is similar to AirPlay or not...

Quote:

PS: Dropbox didn't copy from iDisk.

Okay.
  • Reply 54 of 84
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

You have to be a fool to copy iCloud... it sucks big time

Other than the fact that it's quite good, doesn't suck, and has far fewer problems with it than most major cloud services, yeah, it "sucks".
  • Reply 55 of 84
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You guys honestly can't see how Acer has blatantly copies Apple's PhotoSteam here or are really that unobservant?
    Canned reply: "Not uh! Acer removes photos after 30 days and Apple keeps the last 1000 on devices. That completely different."

Because only PhotoStream allows a user to save pics to the cloud and displays them in horizontal/vertical lines. Photos were used in both cases because it makes for a better presentation than say files, folders, music, etc...
  • Reply 56 of 84
    palominepalomine Posts: 362member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drumrobot View Post

OMG you're all such fanboys! First Apple patented the rectangle and now they're patenting the powerpoint slide! How many ways can you make a powerpoint slide? The only logical way is with a cloud icon above three devices, each with a different time/content limit!

jk... but I bet someone will say that somewhere!

OMG you're all such fanboys! first Apple patented the rectangle and now they're patenting the PowerPoint slide! How many ways can you make a PowerPoint slide? The only logical way is with a cloud icon above three devices each with a different time/content limit!

jk... But I bet someone will say that somewhere apple does it the only logical way, so thats the only way we can do it! There isn't any other way, I mean really, how could we possibly say the same thing in a different way since Apple has already said it?
  • Reply 57 of 84
    tinman0tinman0 Posts: 168member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palomine View Post

OMG you're all such fanboys! first Apple patented the rectangle and now they're patenting the PowerPoint slide! How many ways can you make a PowerPoint slide? The only logical way is with a cloud icon above three devices each with a different time/content limit!

jk... But I bet someone will say that somewhere apple does it the only logical way, so thats the only way we can do it! There isn't any other way, I mean really, how could we possibly say the same thing in a different way since Apple has already said it?

You can do it different ways - for instance, you could put the icons round the cloud for a start.

You could even not display the main cloud window with the same 4 * 5 pictures as well. You could use 5 * 5, or 3 * 6, but to copy the number of icons as well is just slavish.

And as for the Wifi logo - you have to admit - that it was a stroke of genius to use a logo that looks exactly like the one on a Mac, except upside down. They've even retained a very similar proportion to the design, and used 4 bars (not 3 not 5 not 6, but 4).

AcerCloud vs iCloud

PicStream vs PhotoStream

No one is saying that Apple has a monopoly on this slide, they could well have seen how other people did it, and adapted it.

But this IS a BLATANT rip off.
  • Reply 58 of 84
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simtub View Post

I thought ASUS was always the king of the netbook market?...anyway

I am so sick of these SHAMELESS, CLUELESS, COPYCATS!!!

They are, unfortunately that is like being king of my downstairs bathroom.

Sure the whole photo stream concept was clearly copied. The sad part was they could not even bother to come up with their own marketing materials. None of this will lead to lawsuits, but it is sad. I did not put much stock into the people claiming a culture of blatant copying, but it is starting to look like that is the case.

When you can't even be bothered to make your own slide...
  • Reply 59 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

copy a slide is easy ... but invest in the Data Center to support this service is another story ...

LOL -- true that.

The fact that some graphic artist would copy Job's keynote presentation is hardly a surprise. Icons and symbols in presentations are lifted all the time. Just go look at some clip art for ideas and "leader" -- how many lightbulbs or little guy in front of a pack are you going to find?

This is just a presentation, not a Samsung iPhone knock-off, after all.

>> But the DATA CENTER -- that's what is key here. Apple took their time and invested heavily in some huge data centers and locations to speed access.

Acer is probably safe until they get some measure of success. On the other hand; Apple had 54% of all phone data traffic BEFORE the iPhone 4GS came out -- and it increased 40% from there -- so does that mean it's about 73% by now of traffic -- I'm not sure. It's just that Apple and Siri and iCloud is transferring a BOATLOAD of cell data, and that's a big part of this "cloud" service.

A few hacked sites, some data losses -- we'll see if Cloud services keep customers happy or backfire for some poorly implemented schemes in about a year. Anyone rushing into this is going to have a stock that needs shorting.
  • Reply 60 of 84
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

I can't really think of another way you actually put it on a slide.

I take it you won't be applying for any jobs in graphic design in the near future?