Apple issues third beta of iOS 5.1 developers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    My own modest wish is that they fix the mobile Safari back-button bug that reloads a version of the page out of some point in the past rather than the actual one that was just displayed.
  • Reply 22 of 49
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    I'm all for new features but I hope they are fixing bugs first. iOS 5 lags on my iPhone 4 and my sister has been complaining for awhile about severely decreased performance on her iPod. I'm also getting problems with volume... click and tap noises suddenly becoming really loud even with volume turned way down, or certain sounds not playing at all. Restarting the iPhone solves it temporarily.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

My own modest wish is that they fix the mobile Safari back-button bug that reloads a version of the page out of some point in the past rather than the actual one that was just displayed.

I've never seen that happen.
  • Reply 24 of 49
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:

This is a symptom of web pages, not Mobile Safari.

Often, AJAX rich sites will change content without reloading the page and instead add a hash to the URL to make the page "back"-able. MS's webkit engine is working as intended if you go back and it reflects the change to the URL hash and reloads the previous state.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post

My guess is that the 3GS won't live past 5.1, remember that the 1st gen only got to 3.1.x.

I would be very surprised if the 1st gen iPad got beyond iOS 5.2.x, it certainly won't get iOS6.

By a strict reading of their self-imposed upgrade rules, the 1st gen iPad doesn't *have* to get anything past 5.0 (and all the updates).

On the other hand, by those same rules, the 3Gs should have been unsupported after iOS 4.0 (and all the upgrades), but it got 5.0 anyway.
  • Reply 26 of 49
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

And now you can manually disable 3G in network settings. Modem goes up to 1.5.04.

Awesome!!

This should help improve battery life enormously (just like on my old iPhone 3G)

• Reply 27 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What makes you say that?

Just that if my memory serves (and I may be wrong), no iOS device has received more than two upgrades by which I mean major updates, e.g. iOS 3 to 4 for example and disregarding .x releases, from the iOS version they were originally brought to market on.

Consider:

iPhone 1st Gen: iOS 1.x - 3.x

iPhone 3G: iOS 2.x - 4.x

iPod 1st Gen: iOS 1.x - 3.x

iPod 2nd Gen: iOS 2.x - 4.x

Now I freely admit that I'm no expert, I'm actually a Windows user (probably in the minority here ), but that is certainly suggestive of a trend.

What's more my first gen iPad is already slowing down, and I doubt that Apple wants a repeat of the iPhone 3G upgrade to iOS 4.0.x fiasco...
  • Reply 28 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

On the other hand, by those same rules, the 3Gs should have been unsupported after iOS 4.0 (and all the upgrades), but it got 5.0 anyway.

Haven't they always received two upgrades? I suppose I expected that the 3GS receive iOS5.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

Just that if my memory serves (and I may be wrong), no iOS device has received more than two upgrades?

No, you're absolutely right and that's the standard by which I go?

But the first-gen iPad only had iPhone OS 3.2, not a .0 version, and it was only for a few months before iOS 4 came out. I dunno; it might get iOS 6.
  • Reply 30 of 49
    Quote:

Not the first-gen iPad?

Software Update on the iPad 1 installs the beta 3 (if you have an earlier beta installed).
  • Reply 31 of 49
    Quote:

Glad you mentioned that. It's not just me

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

This is a symptom of web pages, not Mobile Safari.

Often, AJAX rich sites will change content without reloading the page and instead add a hash to the URL to make the page "back"-able. MS's webkit engine is working as intended if you go back and it reflects the change to the URL hash and reloads the previous state.

Is there a way for apple to fix the issue? I'm not saying its their fault (I'm clueless on the tech of it) but one of the places I find it happening still is on google news and I'm thinking they may not view it as a priority.

I've also experienced it here but not recently, and on a handful(at most) of other sites.
  • Reply 32 of 49
    Quote:

No, you're absolutely right and that's the standard by which I go?

But the first-gen iPad only had iPhone OS 3.2, not a .0 version, and it was only for a few months before iOS 4 came out. I dunno; it might get iOS 6.

Yeah, it's impossible to say whether the iPad's iOS 3.2.x release was just meant as a temporary operating system before the iOS 4 upgrade or as a stand-alone. However, I'm inclined to think that it might be the former considering that Apple felt it necessary to write into their terms and conditions that all iPads would get an iOS 4.x release free of charge.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    Has anyone else found their original iPad become a lot more prone to crashing since they upgraded to iOS 5?

I've found that Safari in particular is very prone to crashing, especially when it's just finished loading a new page. I re-open it, and that same page will load fine, and it will be OK as I click through a few more pages, then it will crash again. I think it's happening on all apps though, it's just that I use Safari far more than any others.

I tried doing a clean install of everything (i.e. restore to factory settings and start from scratch), but still I see problems.

It's more a nuisance than anything else (and not enough of a nuisance to make me goto the Apple store to have them take a look), but if anyone else has seen the same and has a fix, that would be great!
  • Reply 34 of 49
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Has anyone else found their original iPad become a lot more prone to crashing since they upgraded to iOS 5?

I've found that Safari in particular is very prone to crashing, especially when it's just finished loading a new page. I re-open it, and that same page will load fine, and it will be OK as I click through a few more pages, then it will crash again. I think it's happening on all apps though, it's just that I use Safari far more than any others.

I tried doing a clean install of everything (i.e. restore to factory settings and start from scratch), but still I see problems.

It's more a nuisance than anything else (and not enough of a nuisance to make me goto the Apple store to have them take a look), but if anyone else has seen the same and has a fix, that would be great!

We have 3 iPads, two of them are first generation, and I'm yet to experience this. I'm gonna look at my crash logs because I can't even remember Safari crashing on me.
  • Reply 35 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

We have 3 iPads, two of them are first generation, and I'm yet to experience this. I'm gonna look at my crash logs because I can't even remember Safari crashing on me.

Thanks, appreciate you taking a look.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    Quote:

Haven't they always received two upgrades? I suppose I expected that the 3GS receive iOS5.

Maybe I read the dates wrong when I looked it up?

The "rule" (direct from Apple's mouth), is that all devices get the full version of the OS that ships on the device, plus all the upgrades, plus the next full version, plus all the upgrades for that version as well.

Anything beyond that isn't officially supported.

I thought the 3Gs shipped with iOS 3.0 which would make 5.0 an unsupported bonus to users, but maybe I got the dates wrong as I said.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    garamondgaramond Posts: 109member
    Quote:

I'm actually a Windows user (probably in the minority here)

Probably?
  • Reply 38 of 49
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Maybe I read the dates wrong when I looked it up?

The "rule" (direct from Apple's mouth), is that all devices get the full version of the OS that ships on the device, plus all the upgrades, plus the next full version, plus all the upgrades for that version as well.

Anything beyond that isn't officially supported.

I thought the 3Gs shipped with iOS 3.0 which would make 5.0 an unsupported bonus to users, but maybe I got the dates wrong as I said.

My understanding was that they would guarantee two full versions PAST the shipped version. So 3GS shipped with 3.0, and should be supported up to 5.0. Remember that the original iPhone went to 3.0 and some updates (not all), the 3G went to 4.0 and some updates (not all), so I would expect the 3GS to probably go to 5.2 (or whatever) and then stop. Seems to keep in line with the past experiences.
  • Reply 39 of 49
    I suspect the 3GS will get (a probably feature-reduced build of) iOS 6 if and only if Apple is still selling it within a year of release, because Apple won't want to alienate first-time customers with a 3GS and more than a year left on their contracts, and that iOS development will take this into account.

As for the iPad 1, probably no chance.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasomill View Post

I suspect the 3GS will get (a probably feature-reduced build of) iOS 6 if and only if Apple is still selling it within a year of release, because Apple won't want to alienate first-time customers with a 3GS and more than a year left on their contracts, and that iOS development will take this into account.

As for the iPad 1, probably no chance.

No way will the 3GS get ANY form of iOS 6. Whereas the iPad is perfectly capable of it.