Apple issues third beta of iOS 5.1 developers

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014


Apple on Monday supplied developers with a new pre-release build of its mobile operating system in the form of iOS 5.1 beta 3.



Little is known so far about the latest beta, which was issued to test devices as an over-the-air update. iOS 5.1 beta 1 is not yet available to developers as a direct download from Apple, and as such, there aren't yet any release notes.



The second beta of iOS 5.1 came a month ago, and gave developers the ability to delete individual Photo Stream pictures. In current, public versions of iOS, users cannot delete individual Photo Stream pictures, and must turn off the Photo Stream feature entirely if they do not want a picture to be stored on Apple's servers.



iOS 5.1 beta 3 is compatible with the iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 2, and third- and fourth-generation iPod touch.



The first beta of iOS 5.1 was provided to developers in late November. It included references to a next-generation iPhone, labeled "iPhone5,1," as well as third-generation iPad models, "iPad3,2" and "iPad3,3."

«13

Comments

  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 40,864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    iOS 5.1 beta 3 is compatible with the iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 2, and third- and fourth-generation iPod touch.



    Not the first-gen iPad?
  • ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    And now you can manually disable 3G in network settings. Modem goes up to 1.5.04.
  • suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Not the first-gen iPad?



    Wow, that was quick. Obsolete by 2012.
  • donw35donw35 Posts: 30member
    strange, 3GS is included and not the iPad first gen
  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 40,864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donw35 View Post


    strange, 3GS is included and not the iPad first gen



    Says 3GS RIGHT there in the story?
  • postulantpostulant Posts: 1,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Not the first-gen iPad?



    1st gen is supported. AI is.... Well nevermind.
  • ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Says 3GS RIGHT there in the story?



    Right and he said it WAS included, but not the original iPad.
  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 40,864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post


    Right and he said it WAS included, but not the original iPad.



    Welp, I'm a moron. Dyslexia for cure found?
  • postulantpostulant Posts: 1,270member
  • davemcm76davemcm76 Posts: 263member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post






    So essentially everything that currently supports iOS 5.0/5.01... who'd have thunk it?
  • suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post


    So essentially everything that currently supports iOS 5.0/5.01... who'd have thunk it?



    Whew. Good for another year at least.
  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post


    And now you can manually disable 3G in network settings. Modem goes up to 1.5.04.



    In the 4S and/or Verizon/Sprint iPhone 4, because this has been possible with the GSM/UMTS versions of the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4. I assume the issue was down to the new MDM66x0 chipset but with the excessive revisions to the modem firmware I wouldn't be surprised if the 4S has been given this option.
  • ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    In the 4S and/or Verizon/Sprint iPhone 4, because this has been possible with the GSM/UMTS versions of the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4. I assume the issue was down to the new MDM66x0 chipset but with the excessive revisions to the modem firmware I wouldn't be surprised if the 4S has been given this option.



    I have the 4S on AT&T. I can't speak for the others.
  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post


    I have the 4S on AT&T. I can't speak for the others.



    The GSM-based 4S is the only place it was really needed. It's mostly pointless to turn off '3G' on CDMA/CDMA2000 since the voice is still sent over '2G'.
  • mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 6,926member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


    Whew. Good for another year at least.



    The iPhone 3GS will lose support before the iPad.
  • mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    The GSM-based 4S is the only place it was really needed. It's mostly pointless to turn off '3G' on CDMA/CDMA2000 since the voice is still sent over '2G'.



    Is there a way to not receive phone calls and have them go directly to voicemail? I ask because I want to have my data but not have the incoming call override the screen while using maps or texting etc. I would rather see like a notification size info bar at the top instead of the whole screen taken over.
  • ombra2105ombra2105 Posts: 90member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post


    The iPhone 3GS will lose support before the iPad.



    My guess is that the 3GS won't live past 5.1, remember that the 1st gen only got to 3.1.x.



    I would be very surprised if the 1st gen iPad got beyond iOS 5.2.x, it certainly won't get iOS6.
  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    Is there a way to not receive phone calls and have them go directly to voicemail? I ask because I want to have my data but not have the incoming call override the screen while using maps or texting etc. I would rather see like a notification size info bar at the top instead of the whole screen taken over.



    Perhaps not ideally and this could be a bug but you used to be able to enable Airplane Mode and then enable WiFi so that the cellular chips are inactive.
  • nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,145member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    Is there a way to not receive phone calls and have them go directly to voicemail? I ask because I want to have my data but not have the incoming call override the screen while using maps or texting etc. I would rather see like a notification size info bar at the top instead of the whole screen taken over.



    Yes there is http://bit.ly/A40gvu
  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 40,864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post


    ?it certainly won't get iOS6.



    What makes you say that?
Sign In or Register to comment.