Pegatron reportedly lining up orders for third-gen iPad ahead of March launch

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Apple manufacturer Pegatron is believed to have received a "small volume" of orders for the third-generation iPad, which is rumored to launch in March, according to a new report out of the Far East.

Upstream supply chain sources claim Apple has shifted its outsourcing strategy to have Pegatron focus on production of future generations of the iPad while Foxconn focuses on iPhone manufacturing, DigiTimes reported on Tuesday. Pegatron will serve as an auxiliary for iPhone products in 2013, while Foxconn will continue to make a small amount of iPads, the publication noted.

"Pegatron Technology has reportedly already landed a small volume of orders for the upcoming "iPad 3" (generally called by supply chain players)," the report read, adding that Pegatron declined to comment on the rumor.

The publication also added a less credible detail that Pegatron will see a "significant increase" in orders when Apple readies a so-called "iPad 4" for launch in October with an initial volume of 7-10 million units.

The Taiwanese industry newspaper had originally reported last week that a high-resolution third-generation iPad was coming in March and a fourth-gen iPad with "killer applications" was planned for October. John Gruber of Daring Fireball described the March launch rumor as "completely accurate," but dismissed the "iPad 4" claim as "completely made-up nonsense."

According to the report, insiders went on to allege that the Cupertino, Calif., iPad maker's new strategy is intended to decrease risk while improving the quality of its products. Apple representatives have reportedly visited Pegatron's facilities "several times recently" to check up on the shipment process.

DigiTimes reported last July that Quanta and Pegatron were vying for orders for Apple's next iPad. Apple was believed to have been prompted to engage a second iPad manufacturer after a deadly explosion occurred at a Foxconn iPad plant earlier in the year.

Some reports have suggested that Foxconn will begin producing the next iPad this month, with large-scale production set to ramp up in February.

The third-generation iPad is widely believed to feature a doubled resolution of 2048 x 1536. The device is also expected to sport a faster A6 processor. Recent rumors have suggested that Apple may diversify its iPad lineup by selling high-end and mid-range models.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    So when do the iPad 5 & 6 rumors start?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Kaspar and the AI crew, maybe you guys need to disclose the full nature of your relationship to DigiTimes.

I've never seen any blog pimp one "supplier" of rumors like I've seen you guys pimping DigiTimes unless there was a financial reason for doing so.

We already know their rumors are no good, so what is the nature of your relationship with DigiTimes?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    I hope iPad 3 launches on time (March/April) and isn't delayed like the iPhone 4S was. I'm getting me one, I just hope it has a CPU, GPU and memory upgrade. I don't care too much about the camera but a camera upgrade is always a plus.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The publication also added a less credible detail that Pegatron will see a "significant increase" in orders when Apple readies a so-called "iPad 4" for launch in October with an initial volume of 7-10 million units.

Could be the rumoured 7" version rather than an iPad 4.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member
    Still waiting for the iPad 2 and they're already mentioning the iPad 3?

The one they brought out is the iPad 1.2!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

Still waiting for the iPad 2 and they're already mentioning the iPad 3?

The one they brought out is the iPad 1.2!

Get over this.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    DigiTimes believes that it is important to provide a constant flow of iPad rumours. As such, the publication deems it necessary to insist that Apple is on a schedule which calls for the iPad to be redesigned twice a year. The reason is that if it were the case that the iPad is redesigned once a year (now where would that idea come from) then as soon as the new version is released there is a dead zone, so to speak. By that I mean, there would be a period of a few months when it would seem rather lame to be pumping out rumours for a product that is a year away from being introduced.

I have no inside info, obviously, but my take on this is as follows. We all know there will be no iPad 4 in October. I'll go one step further and bring into question the notion that the iPad we will get in March will sport a Retina-style display. Questionable gain and a whole lot of drawbacks is how I see dramatically increasing the resolution of the iPad's screen. No other competitor appears close to bringing out a product like the iPad with a resolution anywhere close to what the iPad would have with a so-called Retina display. Look at this another way. What would happen if Apple kept the current resolution? Would it hurt sales. My guess is not in the slightest.

Where Apple is in need of reconsidering what it has done is with the Touch. Sony is applying pressure with two new devices aimed at that the Touch, including the Vita and a new Walkman coming with a 4.3-inch screen. The Touch is in desperate need of an overhaul based around a larger screen. The last revision in September was virtually not a revision at all. That leads me to speculate that we may just see a new version of the Touch coming up as a surprise update with the iPad in the next couple of months. There is no reason why the Touch, being a pocket computer, needs to maintain the same size as the iPhone. With a smartphone, going much larger than the iPhone simply doesn't make sense. Yet a pocket computer would benefit from more screen real estate with no downside, provided the device remains reasonably pocketable. Something in the range of the upcoming Walkman, i.e. 4.3 inches, seems to me to be closer to the ideal form factor. If Apple were to unleash a new Touch with a 4.7-inch screen in March, this would give Apple a better device to take on Sony's upcoming portable entries. It would also provide a unit with a large enough screen to satisfy customers who want a tablet that is more portable than the iPad.

So if I were Apple I'd set aside a Retina display for the iPad and instead continue to make the current form factor better in terms of weight, battery life, price, processing power all of which would take a hit to accommodate a technology few of us need, per se. Meanwhile, the Touch needs an overhaul and it shouldn't wait until September. The competition, especially Sony, is closing in. The Touch has been on auto pilot for a couple of years now and it's time to shake things up a little.

As for DigiTimes, no one takes that publication seriously because it's obvious that there is no journalistic integrity in play here. It's a sad thing that consumers with no contacts can come closer to determining what's going to happen than a publication in the business of finding out what will.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

DigiTimes believes that it is important to provide a constant flow of iPad rumours...

As for DigiTimes, no one takes that publication seriously ...

A.I. and other sites apparently are hooked on the DigiTimes drug and can't help themselves. It's not a pretty sight to see (and read).
  • Reply 9 of 9
    That's it. I'm getting in line at the Apple Store for the iPad 3 before anyone else gets the same idea.