just got cable, how do i connect two computer?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
have high speed cable connected to a modem and then ethernet to my imac 800....i have an iMac dv in the room next to the computer room....how do i run cable from the iMac 800 to the iMac DV....trying to avoid the wireless route for now, maybe when we move to portables in a couple of years....i need a router right?? which type? etc...thanks, looking for a cheap and easy way to have both on high speed cable....g

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Moving to Genius Bar...
  • Reply 2 of 12
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    jamie i will honor your esteemed scottish wisdom (myself being about 50% scottish), but really not sure this simple problem needs the Genius Bar...and it does involve current hardware...g
  • Reply 3 of 12
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    But it's purchase advice and just advice overall, that's why it belongs here and I'm sure that's why Jamie moved it
  • Reply 4 of 12
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    What EmAn said

J :cool:
  • Reply 5 of 12
    fishboifishboi Posts: 22member
    Well, I bought a D-Link DI-704 router, and it was pretty painless....... I paid @$70 for it at the time and my Wintel friends ragged me for it.... I guess you can get routers cheaper than that. Basically, you plug your modem into the router, and then run your network cables to each mac.... then you have to configure the router via the internet..... it was quite easy. I checked macmall, macconnection, and maczone since they usually have a large inventory and ship extremely quick.

[quote]Originally posted by thegelding:

<strong>have high speed cable connected to a modem and then ethernet to my imac 800....i have an iMac dv in the room next to the computer room....how do i run cable from the iMac 800 to the iMac DV....trying to avoid the wireless route for now, maybe when we move to portables in a couple of years....i need a router right?? which type? etc...thanks, looking for a cheap and easy way to have both on high speed cable....g</strong><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 6 of 12
    cool, thanks for the info...so cable goes to modem, modem is connected to router, router branches to both machines? what line do i use to connect modem to router? guess i'll head to macmall....g

could i use either one of thesethen?

<a href="http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=793320"; target="_blank">belkin router</a>

or

<a href="http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=330678&options=S"; target="_blank">d-link</a>

[ 07-07-2002: Message edited by: thegelding ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 12

<strong>have high speed cable connected to a modem and then ethernet to my imac 800....i have an iMac dv in the room next to the computer room....how do i run cable from the iMac 800 to the iMac DV....trying to avoid the wireless route for now, maybe when we move to portables in a couple of years....i need a router right?? which type? etc...thanks, looking for a cheap and easy way to have both on high speed cable....g</strong><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 8 of 12
    does anybody have this router??

<a href="http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=814256"; target="_blank">web page</a>

will likely get the d-link since fishboi has it and it works for him....g
  • Reply 9 of 12
    maelssonmaelsson Posts: 8member

I would recommend the router I have. SMC Barricade 4-Port Broadband Router . I used it to connect a PC and an iBook. Works great. Has all the typical stuff, but also has a WAN port. I bought it because C|NET and a bunch of other sites recommended it for home use. It was very easy to configure, and has never given me a problem. Best of all, it was one of the cheapest.

I configured it on a PC, but the documentation for mac was included, and it was a snap.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    I'd say take the D-Link. I work at an ISP and work on dozens of them all the time. Only advice is they HATE moisture (ANY MOISTURE!!). Other then that they are sweet. As for the cable you need? Standard ethernet cable should do. Some routers allow USB but I would forbid it. Why bottle neck the system?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    don't think i have to worry about moisture here in the high desert of New Mexico....when i first moved here from very muggy maryland i thought the newscasters where joking as the first 8 days the humidity as 9%...then on the 9th day the humidity was 11%...so they didn't just say 9% all the time as a joke....anyways, thanks will pick one up and grab some cable too....g
  • Reply 12 of 12
    last question...what is the difference between the d-link 704 and the d-link 604?