Comcast launches live TV on iPad, Amazon optimizes Kindle store for iPad

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Maybe because the content does not belong to the cable company. The content belongs to the studios, such as FOX, ABC, HBO. Cable company to pay for each channel, even over the air ones.

Umm... so they are paying NBC double when I'm watching it on my iPad and my TV at the same time?

Of course they are paying the networks- they still would while it gets streamed to the Apple Television set.

We pay U-Verse, Fios, Comcast, Time Warner or whoever has the contract(s) in your area. They pay the network. We have an integrated TV with no boxes anymore and a much slicker UI.

There is so little chance of having a "pay just what you watch" system that you'd have a better chance buying $5 on the mega millions and winning. Partnering with cable and ISP companies to deliver the content could happen immediately- allow Apple to design a sleek UI and remote control, as well as seamless transitions and beautiful design, and we could actually have a product! They would also, once again, be selling the Hardware- not the content.... which is Apple's recipe for success, is it not?

People poo poo this concept because they don't want to have to pay for cable. Well guess what, I want half the population to have a flying car to cut down traffic. Who cares if it isn't possible, its just what I "want". But we could have this television tomorrow, and it'd sell like hotcakes (I'd buy it).
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

"only one device could be used at a time to stream live TV programs"

That kills it right there.

Oh good god, it's something you didn't have 5 minutes ago that gives you a little enhanced functionality and you don't have to pay anything for it. What a bunch of crybabies.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rsands1 View Post

Current customers can lick our left nut and continue paying full price...

exqueeze me? LOL!
  • Reply 24 of 29
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

I'm thinking the fine print is something like this....

Comcast "AnyPlay" now available to HD TriplePlay Subscribers only. Some restrictions may apply. "AnyPlay" wifi receiver at $22.99/month required...

They're definitely being coy about costs, but they require something called an 'AirPlay Device", which I'll guess connects in-line to the STB, and will probably cost something like $5/mo, min.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Venerable View Post

Oh good god, it's something you didn't have 5 minutes ago that gives you a little enhanced functionality and you don't have to pay anything for it. What a bunch of crybabies.

I guarantee there'll be a monthly ding for the new box.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Umm... so they are paying NBC double when I'm watching it on my iPad and my TV at the same time?

Of course they are paying the networks- they still would while it gets streamed to the Apple Television set.

We pay U-Verse, Fios, Comcast, Time Warner or whoever has the contract(s) in your area. They pay the network. We have an integrated TV with no boxes anymore and a much slicker UI.

There is so little chance of having a "pay just what you watch" system that you'd have a better chance buying $5 on the mega millions and winning. Partnering with cable and ISP companies to deliver the content could happen immediately- allow Apple to design a sleek UI and remote control, as well as seamless transitions and beautiful design, and we could actually have a product! They would also, once again, be selling the Hardware- not the content.... which is Apple's recipe for success, is it not?

People poo poo this concept because they don't want to have to pay for cable. Well guess what, I want half the population to have a flying car to cut down traffic. Who cares if it isn't possible, its just what I "want". But we could have this television tomorrow, and it'd sell like hotcakes (I'd buy it).

Tend to agree. The fact is that ala carte can never be as cheap as bundled stations. Economies of scale apply everywhere.

I've also considered that Apple's best bet may be a 'wrapper box' into which cable box etc attach, and Apple provides an interface for the moronic experience currently provided by the idiots at cable, as well as other app-based value-adds.

We'll know soon.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

"only one device could be used at a time to stream live TV programs"

That kills it right there.

There's an easy workaround and it's been available in our household for 18 months. We have three Elgato tuners connected to regular cable - two supporting two different iMacs and the third hooked up to a MacBook. We can use our two iPads to stream separate programs from different tuners, or use the three tuners with Elgato's EyeTV software to record three different programs simultaneously. Any content recorded using EyeTV can be shared with any computer, iPad, iPod Touch Gen 3+ or Apple TV equipped television across our local network. In essence, we watch anything we want practically anywhere and whenever we like in our household. The Serve To Me and Stream To Me apps for Macs and iDevices respectively extend capability to view recordings on iDevices through hotel WiFi when we're traveling. It's really an unbounded world if you check out some of the stuff that's available.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    Quote:

I'm thinking the fine print is something like this...

...All channels not available at launch. New Subscribers can sign up now for only $129.99 per month to receive HD TriplePlay + AnyPlay Service in your home. 5 Year Contract Required. Current customers can lick our left nut...

Or something along those lines : )

Thank you. Quite hilarious and probably true!

Of course, I thought it was useful when I'm away from home... but alas... It will be somewhat useful for the reasons that "antkm1" suggested.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    Link in story needs editing (no dot after "www")

Code:

http://wwwamazon.com/iPadKindleStore