Briefly: Sony iOS music service, Tim Cook, Adobe CS6

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Sony will be offering an iOS version of its "Music Unlimited" service for iPhones and iPods, while Tim Cook claims "money is not a motivator" and Adobe offers a discounted CS6 upgrade for current CS3 and CS4 users.

Sony's "Music Unlimited"

At a media gathering at CES on Wednesday, Sony announced it will debut a free iOS app that gives iPhone and iPod users access to the company's Music Unlimited streaming media service, reports Venture Beat.

Head of Sony Entertainment Network Tim Schaaff said that the upcoming app, scheduled for launch sometime in the first quarter of 2012, will offer users 15 million tracks piped through the company's servers.

According to Sony, its subscriber-based service has garnered one million users since its U.S. debut in 2011, though that number may rise as the Japanese company hopes to tap into the vast population of iPhone and iPod owners.

At launch, Music Unlimited was in fact limited to home use via a PlayStation 3, a PC or other internet connected set-top devices. Recently, however, access has been granted to select Android handsets after Sony-Ericsson released its own Xperia phone built on Google's mobile OS, and the company plans to continue adding to its list of compatible products.

Music Unlimited will operate like existing services, and will offer offline caching when users are away from a data connection. Competing programs like Spotify and Rdio boast identical feature sets and have already amassed a strong user base.

Schaaff said that instead of directly targeting the subscribership of competing products, Sony will use its retail and international presence and focus on wooing those who have yet to choose a cloud music service.

Pricing has yet to be announced, and there have been conflicting reports as to which iOS devices will be granted access to the service as some report that the iPad will be left out. All sources confirm that the iPhone and iPod lines will be compatible.

Tim Cook described as frugal

In an excerpt from the upcoming book "Inside Apple," Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook is described as "extremely frugal," and focuses on work rather than money, reports Fortune.

Despite a recently reported $100 million stock option and ownership of one million restricted stock units (RSUs), Cook lives a relatively spartan lifestyle for a multi-millionaire and states that "money is not a motivator" for him.

A paragraph from the book illustrates just how strict Cook is with his money:

According to Apple's proxy statement, half of the RSUs will vest in 2016 while the other half will vest in 2021 "subject to Mr. Cook's continued employment with the Company."

"Inside Apple" by Adam Lashinsky will be released on Jan. 25, 2012.

Adobe CS6 and Adobe Creative Cloud

A press release published on Wednesday by Adobe details an upgrade program in which owners of the company's Creative Suite line of professional products can upgrade to the newest version of the software at a discounted price.

In a post on the Creative Suite FAQ web page, Adobe notes that CS6 will be available later this year and current CS3 and CS4 owners are obliged to take advantage of a discounted pricing program that will be active from launch until Dec. 31, 2012.

Adobe claims that CS6 will be a major release that will bring "huge improvements for every type of creative professional" and ushers in Adobe Creative Cloud, a $49.99 monthly subscription service that features CS products, services and tools with no-cost upgrades.

Users can choose between the standard perpetual program licenses or the new Creative Cloud service, allowing a more flexible pricing plan for those who don't want or need all the tools included in CS6.

Adobe Creative Cloud | Source: Adobe

More details on pricing as well as how existing users can move to Adobe Creative Cloud will be announced alongside the release of CS6.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    It's a sad day when a 1.9 million dollar house is described as "modest."
  • Reply 2 of 33
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Well, Adobe revised their policy on upgrade options. CS3&4 users were left out on special upgrade prices, but they just changed that view:

From Adobe website:

With these great new releases coming in the first half of 2012, we want to make sure our customers have plenty of time to determine which offering is best for them. Therefore, we?re pleased to announce that we will offer special introductory upgrade pricing on Creative Suite 6 to customers who own CS3 or CS4. This offer will be available from the time CS6 is released until December 31

Which wasn't the case before this news hit; from prodesigntools.com
  • Reply 3 of 33
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    "money is not a motivator" for him.

Sure, that is why he has donated 99% of his enormous fortune to release millions from poverty. More than 30 million people die each year of hunger. For them money is not just a motivator, it is a desperate need!
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

"money is not a motivator" for him.

Sure, that is why he has donate 99% of his enormous fortune to release millions from poverty. More than 30 million people die each year of hunger. For them money is not just a motivator, it is a desperate need!

Sadly it's not as simple as just throwing money at the situation...There is so much corruption, locally and globally, that pretty much HAS to occur for such worldwide hunger to go on unimpeded...not to mention the out of sight out of mind mentality of a lot of us...myself included.

We are fooled into thinking we need a lot of shit we don't...damn who is fucked in the process.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    Of course Adobe is going to update to CS6 now... I just bought the update to 5.5
  • Reply 6 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Of course Adobe is going to update to CS6 now... I just bought the update to 5.5

You are not alone, look at the comments over here.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

Why? Economies of scale. What is the typical home:income ratio? What's the typical home:net_worth ratio? And it's California real estate - not some desert plot in west Texas.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Sadly it's not as simple as just throwing money at the situation...There is so much corruption, locally and globally, that pretty much HAS to occur for such worldwide hunger to go on unimpeded...not to mention the out of sight out of mind mentality of a lot of us...myself included.

We are fooled into thinking we need a lot of shit we don't...damn who is fucked in the process.

Fooled or willing accomplices in denial. Your post got me thinking.

OK, done thinking and back to converting food into fuel to move my 12 MPG Jeep.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Quote:

And that's why you don't spend money updating to a point release. It was a crime Adobe ever charged for that to begin with, IMO.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    For those of you mocking the 'LOL at $1.6 million modest' quote, there's nothing laughable about it. This is an area where $20 million homes are common. For someone as wealthy as Cook (the wealthiest individual of one of the most successful companies on the planet) that IS modest, and is definitely below his means. No need to mock that concept. Everything is relative. Cook could probably afford 100 of these homes and more. He sounds like a grounded individual, and the point is that $ doesn't get to his head.

Also, Cook sounds like Jobs in this respect, which is a good thing. I believe him when he says $ isn't a motivator. He's consistently been described as the hardest working person at Apple, starting his day at 5am or so. He has enough $$ to retire and live the rest of his life in utter luxury. Money is not what motivates him to get up in the morning and go to work. It doesn't motivate his work ethic. He's obviously extremely passionate and serious about Apple. For me, this is reassuring, and is a relative rarity with CEOs.
  • Reply 11 of 33

Money may not be a motivator...

...but lack of money certainly is!
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

He's consistently been described as the hardest working person at Apple, starting his day at 5am or so.

Even half an hour earlier. From the biography (yes, I can't help it):

At Apple his role became implementing Jobs?s intuition, which he accomplished with a quiet diligence. Never married, he threw himself into his work. He was up most days at 4:30 sending emails, then spent an hour at the gym, and was at his desk shortly after 6. He scheduled Sunday evening conference calls to prepare for each week ahead. In a company that was led by a CEO prone to tantrums and withering blasts, Cook commanded situations with a calm demeanor, a soothing Alabama accent, and silent stares. ?Though he?s capable of mirth, Cook?s default facial expression is a frown, and his humor is of the dry variety,?
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Quote:

Call them and rant a bit. I bet the CS reps (pardon the pun?) have some leeway.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    It really is fascinating. Those that grew up frugal and then made it big usually tend to be conservative in their spending. I mean, relative to that level of income.

They might indulge in one or two of their dreams and do some extravagant stuff, but perhaps not oftent. Tim Cook, Zuckerberg... Steve Jobs probably died with about probably hundreds of million dollars as purely disposable income ~ as in even after stuff set aside in trusts, charities, for his kids, and so on.

If I hit $50 million by 50 years old I'll get a Lamborghini, but I may not get every latest Mac unless I'm working in Apple-related areas. Might still get most furniture from Ikea. As for owning a house, jeez, can't even think about that right now.

Hey, who knows, the Lambo will probably be hybrid and maybe, maybe electric. Given in 17 years oil will be, what, $200 to $500 a barrel???

Edit: Assuming Lamborghini, Apple and Ikea still exist in 17 years time, and that USD, EURO, PoundSterling, Renminbi, Rupees, AUD or whatever that $50 million is, isn't the equivalent of $500 today. (And assuming the human race aren't enslaved by aliens)
  • Reply 15 of 33
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

Did you read the article?

It's relative to the area he lives in.

Just like someone who earns $10,000 a year could live like a king in many parts of the world but couldn't even afford rent in many other parts of the world.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    This Tim's Photo has proved that he is frugal. Why? coz he is just wearing a pair of Silhouette glasses, not Lindberg rimless !!!
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Adobe continues to pissed off their creative customers. How do they expect average designers to spend a few hundred every 18-24 months for software upgrade makes no sense.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    You have to have a lot of money and then have it all taken away from you to appreciate that all your material things mean almost nothing.

I came from a family where I had to drink sugar water as a child because we couldn't afford milk. In my 30's I came into a lot of money, didn't work and blew it all and ended up with nothing to show for it. That taught me that you can have a lot of money and still have nothing. Now I have my work. I work 7 days a week in total appreciation that I have a good job in this economy and I don't complain.

Live within your means. If you get rich, live within your means. Why does Tim need a $20 million mansion? To prove to everyone that he makes that much money to afford it? That much house is a waste of space for one person and irresponsible. Unless you have lived that life, you won't understand.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    It seems to me that most people have the type of attitude as Tim Cook only when they become a millionaire accidentally after attempting to create something amazing and then succeeding. They create something which the world then rewards them for. It's the guys who get into a job specifically because they think they can make a lot of money that you have to watch out for. The pursuit of money will often get the better of them and they start thinking "more money" is the ultimate goal instead of better product being the ultimate goal.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    mrrmrr Posts: 69member
    I love it!

ADOBE is asking people to upgrade and pay $$$$ for Adobe CS6 and they haven't even detailed what benefits and the features of CS6 are yet.

Pay first, and then pay again later.

Way to go Adobe.