Survey shows Apple offers most-satisfying mobile shopping experience

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

Respondents to a new survey gave Apple the highest satisfaction scores for its mobile commerce experience, with online retailer Amazon coming in second.

The study from ForeSee (via VentureBeat) collected responses from 3,000 visitors to apps and mobile sites for the top 40 U.S. retailers' websites based on revenue. Apple received the top score of 85 for its mobile experience, faring better than its own Web experience, which scored 83.

Amazon was a close second with a satisfaction score of 84. Dell came in third with a score of 78, and Netflix and eBay tied for fourth with 77.

As the adoption of smartphones increases, more consumers are using them to access retailer websites,” said Larry Freed, President and CEO of the analytics firm. “More and more, there is expectation that companies will address the mobile environment in ways that are effective and user-friendly. Mobile commerce is still relatively new and there is a lot of room for innovation and improvement."

Respondents generally ranked their mobile commerce experiences as less satisfactory than Web experiences, though Apple was a rare exception.

“The gap between mobile experience and web experience is an opportunity for retailers as much as it is a liability. We know consumer expectations will only continue to grow, and right now Amazon and Apple are setting a very high bar,” he continued.

Credit: ForeSee

The survey also found that 34 percent of online shoppers use their mobile phones to research purchases. 15 percent of respondents said they made purchases directly from their phone, up from 11 percent last year.

19 percent of shoppers said they used their mobile phones to compare prices while shopping in a store. Amazon sparked a controversy last month when it began offering discounts for items to customers who used its Price Check shopping app to check prices while at a physical store.

An earlier report from ForeSee released late last month found Apple to be the top computers and electronics retailer and the second overall in terms of customer satisfaction.

A separate study revealed that iOS users account for the majority of mobile e-commerce transactions. Retail analysis firm RichRelevance noted a whopping 92 percent of online non-desktop sales last December as having been made from iOS devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    If you average out the two Amazon wins. That said, I don't find Amazon's site near as satisfying due it being so busy and question the results when Dell is ranked so high despite one of the most unsatisfying experiences you can create.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Respondents generally ranked their mobile commerce experiences as less satisfactory than Web experiences, though Apple was a rare exception.

Is this the part where SlickMe will say Apple is in the minority? (sorry 'bout that)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If you average out the two Amazon wins. That said, I don't find Amazon's site near as satisfying due it being so bust and question the results when Dell is ranked so high despite one of the most unsatisfying experiences you can create.

Well, Dell uses flash on their lap/desktop site, but when accessed from my iPhone it offers a native app, and after I choose 'no thanks' I was presented with an iPhone optimized page. (this is the consumer site, not business) Stupid thing is, when entering 'Tablet' in the search field I get a 'page not available' - LOL. <edit, the search field always gives an error on my iPhone, except for their 'business website'>

But Dell doesn't have a monopoly with CrapWeb, look at www.bearflagwine.com

Cheers
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Is this the part where SlickMe will say Apple is in the minority? (sorry 'bout that)

Well, Dell uses flash on their lap/desktop site, but when accessed from my iPhone it offers a native app, and after I choose 'no thanks' I was presented with an iPhone optimized page. (this is the consumer site, not business) Stupid thing is, when entering 'Tablet' in the search field I get a 'page not available' - LOL. <edit, the search field always gives an error on my iPhone, except for their 'business website'>

But Dell doesn't have a monopoly with CrapWeb, look at www.bearflagwine.com

Cheers

I don't think I have any experience ? at least none I can recall positively or negatively ? for Amazon for their mobile site but I have enjoyed the level of service they have offered for being a faceless, internet-only warehouse store.

I have used Apple's mobile app and it's simple to use. The ability to buy a product in a store with the app without interacting with any employees was very handy. I'm not sure if this would get counted in the survey but the mobile app is a great way to set up Genius appointment.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:

If you average out the two Amazon wins. That said, I don't find Amazon's site near as satisfying due it being so bust and question the results when Dell is ranked so high despite one of the most unsatisfying experiences you can create.

If you're averaging then you should do a weighted average, where mobile is assigned a smaller weight corresponding to its smaller share (which wouldn't change the results in this case, but could in principle).

You question the results of a survey with 3000 respondents based on what, your own experience? Yeah, you have a solid point there...
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Amazon has the ugliest website.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Yes, how unsatisfying. Every time I want to look at something pretty, I open a merchant website...
  • Reply 7 of 24
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

But the price is right.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

If you average out the two Amazon wins. That said, I don't find Amazon's site near as satisfying due it being so busy and question the results when Dell is ranked so high despite one of the most unsatisfying experiences you can create.

Actually, if you average the scores, the two companies are identical. Differences smaller than the margin of error don't count.

They got 3000 responses for mobile and 8500 responses for online. There is no reference to how many of those responses were for each store, but it is unlikely that more than 10% visited either Apple or Amazon. That means 300 visitors for mobile and 850 for online reported for each vendor.

For a 95% confidence level, the margin of error for the mobile numbers is over 5% and online is about 3.5%. Even if you use the combined numbers, the error is plus or minus 3%.

And that assumes that the samples are random.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Yes, how unsatisfying. Every time I want to look at something pretty, I open a merchant website...

A site doesn't need to be ugly at all...visuals serve function as well as form
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:

That is absolutely true. Then again; it's already in your username.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:

What I hate? Apple's new store pages.

You can still see the old design because Apple never updates everything at once, be it product info pages or store pages.

The new pages have that big image of the product and the button to click to spec a machine out. This after you've ALREADY CLICKED THE BUTTON TO GET TO THE MACHINE'S PAGE on the home Store screen.

The old design just brought you to the screen where you'd pick your size. The middleman is completely pointless.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:

Agreed. But then again, one has to be an impressionable idiot to pass on a good deal just because one doesn't like the looks of the vendor.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Quote:

Agreed. But then again, one has to be an impressionable idiot to pass on a good deal just because one doesn't like the looks of the vendor.

Or even a… moderately intelligent person who knows a poorly-made scam website when he sees one…
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:

lol, well yea...I use Amazon all the time...but ugly site is ugly.

Speaking of ugly...I had to make a logo for this DJ friend of a friend of mine...I was procrastinating so when he hit me back up I threw something together in like 2 minutes...hideous IMO...amatuerish...too amateurish even for a halfhearted job ...so once he saw I was back on track I took more time to make an IMO better one.

He chose the rush job -_-

Just a rant..

rush on the left.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:

"All this DJ equipment could be yours if the price is right!"

Oh, they're one image. Whoops.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"All this DJ equipment could be yours if the price is right!"

lol, exactly.

And his name is dumb too...then again these dudes don't know anything about design at all. Guess it was my mistake for taking on a strip club promoter as a client...shoulda known better.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:

Nouw nouw, you know better than that TS! Yes, LOL.

Seriously, it's not bad AD (sorry for the abbreviation; in a rush)
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:

What I hate? Apple's new store pages.

You can still see the old design because Apple never updates everything at once, be it product info pages or store pages.

The new pages have that big image of the product and the button to click to spec a machine out. This after you've ALREADY CLICKED THE BUTTON TO GET TO THE MACHINE'S PAGE on the home Store screen.

The old design just brought you to the screen where you'd pick your size. The middleman is completely pointless.

I agree, I don't understand the point of the middle page they've added in. Does anyone know what they're aiming for with this? Like you said, is there some other coming change that will allow this to make sense?
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

I agree, I don't understand the point of the middle page they've added in. Does anyone know what they're aiming for with this? Like you said, is there some other coming change that will allow this to make sense?

I was showing someone an iMac the other day on their work PC. They clicked on Store, the iMac, then Buy Now (which should lead them to the configuration) but they get they mis-splash-page that requires to press Select an iMac to continue.

It didn't work with their version of IE. Nothing happened when you clicked the link. The best I could do was have them hit Tech Specs to see a comparison which lists the base prices, but even that wasn't accurate because the Education Store had already shown then a lower price. It made Apple look bad and ruined the point.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:

It didn't work with their version of IE.

Makes sense; that's not really a browser.