SHOUTcast OSX: Quality, Streaming MP3 Questions

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey there,

Being a Mac user, I never really got into SHOUTcast streaming (as a provider that is). So, I have a few questions for those who've ventured into streaming with SHOUTcast from OSX (v1.8.9 being the latest available):

1) How's the quality... I know it's originally dependent on the MP3's quality, but is it comparable to a stream from a PC?

2) I have a G3 hooked up to my stereo system: can I run a SHOUTcast server from that G3 *and* have that very same G3 (with Audion, iTunes, etc.) listen to the stream it's "streaming" (can the G3 point to itself for a stream source)?

That way I can create a Playlist with Audion on my iBook, send the Playlist to the G3's SHOUTcast server, and have that G3 listen to its own stream so that the music plays through my stereo system (and not the iBook I'm walking around with). Also, if you have any tips, websites, faqs for the SHOUTcast OSX install, since I saw it's CONSOLE - NO AQUA INTERFACE.

Thanks a ton in advance!

BD

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    I don't know much about shoutcast but I've been streaming MP3's from OSX with Apple's Quicktime Streaming Server which is free. I've read somewhere where Apache has a Shoutcast module that you can download..