Samsung to take on Apple's MacBooks in bid for notebook dominance

Comments

• Reply 61 of 93
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Won't these pc makers just end up taking market share from each other? I mean there are so many ultrabooks coming out I feel like they'll eat each other up, not Apple. Just like this reported Google tablet. Won't its biggest competition be the Kindle Fire, not the iPad?
  • Reply 62 of 93
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member
    Its funny how the tech world works, Apple design a phone, it changes the game, all the other manufacturers scramble to copy get in on the trend that apple created then say they either did it first or did it better :S takes them years to catch up with apples original release no less.

Same thing happened again with the macbook air.

I work with PCs its very much my job, but i gotta say, im going to be one of the first people to order the next gen air, (Hopefully Ivy bridge processor) i7 Sexiness :P

side note, i have a samsung smart tv & blueray player, so if im not buying apple tech i guess it is samsung.
  • Reply 63 of 93
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The Ultrabooks shown at CES by Samsung are really nice. I don't think anyone had a better overall design. I didn't care for the HP with the glass on the top case or the 360° foldable notebook to tablet from whomever.

I think Samsung has a chance of being the most profitable non-Mac PC vendor.

I would agree with that statement. They have some nice products coming down the line. But they still have a long way to go to catch up the Apple laptop line.
  • Reply 64 of 93
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    This guy should know:

Similarly, Dell CEO Michael Dell told an audience in Bangalore, India, on Monday that tablets and smartphones are not a preferable way to browse the Web compared to computers. Dell has not had success in the smartphone market and failed in its brief foray into tablets, though the company plans to return this year, Reuters reports.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/01/12/te...tml?hpt=hp_bn9

\
  • Reply 65 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Won't these pc makers just end up taking market share from each other? I mean there are so many ultrabooks coming out I feel like they'll eat each other up, not Apple. Just like this reported Google tablet. Won't its biggest competition be the Kindle Fire, not the iPad?

If you replace "ultrabook" with "laptop" or "desktop" that's exactly what happened before. (and is still happening today)

All "WinTel" manufacturers are competing with each other. The Windows PC has been a commodity for a very long time.

It doesn't matter if you buy a Dell, HP or Acer... you're still getting a Windows computer.

There's nothing wrong with that... it's been like that since the days of the IBM PC clones. Hell... I remember reading Computer Shopper magazine in the early 90's, and it was 700 pages thick because there were 500 different companies selling computers.

Thankfully that's been whittled down to a dozen or so companies today... but they are all in the business of selling computers that run Microsoft operating systems.

And then there's Apple... who does their own thing.
  • Reply 66 of 93
    hzchzc Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

The problem is that they can copy the look, the material used, and even the same chips and components, but in the end, it still runs Windows. It's still one of a thousand others that also run Windows. There's nothing special about it. It might be a better laptop than the others, but they'll never compete a long as it runs Windows. Windows PC buyers generally shop for the lowest price, and that means high-end products like these are sunk.

True about it running Windows, but on the same note, their Galaxy smartphones run Android and they were able to do well. Now that they have a MacBook Air-ish notebook that they can slap Windows on, they may attract much of the same crowd... the crowd who is finally warming up to the idea of buying decent-ish products, but who do not like the Apple brand.

It will be interesting to see what patents they have violated with this notebook. Didn't Apple patent the unibody process, for example?

Last point, I find it a really stupid metric to say how many items of a product a company sold with no regard for how much profit they made, or didn't make. All the reports say that Samsung is ahead of Apple in smartphones sold, but isn't the whole point of selling a product to make money? How much profit has Samsung made vs. Apple? Are there such reports?
  • Reply 67 of 93
    hzchzc Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

side note, i have a samsung smart tv & blueray player, so if im not buying apple tech i guess it is samsung.

Yeah, I have 3 Samsung LED TVs... can't wait for an Apple television ... I wonder if the Apple TV will continue to bare the same name if/when there is an Apple television. It's going to get a little confusing.
  • Reply 68 of 93
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hzc View Post

Yeah, I have 3 Samsung LED TVs... can't wait for an Apple television ... I wonder if the Apple TV will continue to bare the same name if/when there is an Apple television. It's going to get a little confusing.

Haha good point, iTV ? iPannel iViewer, Apple TV sounds the best tho.

I have the current gen Samsung LED 3D tv, the way apple usually goes they make something everyone either had or something they never knew they wanted even better, now that CES is on, everyone is doing gesture based TVs & some with voice commands, wonder what apple will do?

Also, they will probably use a samsung OLED tech in an apple tv anyways (I think)
  • Reply 69 of 93
    The problem with copying is that they are always one step behind.
  • Reply 70 of 93
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    Must really suck to be a spokesperson for a company that virtually copies every move of the competitor. And over here we have the "lighted keyboard"! Ohh aaahhh. And guess what folks, this next laptop will have a completely all aluminum chassis! Ohh aahhh.

I'd have to quit that gig.
  • Reply 71 of 93
    Quote:

You got me. I'm a Samsung fanboy through and through.

I knew it!!!!

Finally you are outing yourself!!!

• Reply 72 of 93
    Since about 90% of the world uses Windows, and since Apple discovered a style that consumers like, this is clearly going to be a big hit. And like all Windows hits, everybody and his brother will start selling super skinny portable machines with SSDs in the next six months or so. Nothing wrong with that.
  • Reply 73 of 93
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arjaosx View Post

We have figured out how to copy the Macbook Air in a way we can get away with.

Only so far though ... The snag is everyone seems to be forgetting is a rather large fly in Samsung's ointment ... Even if they rip off Apple's harware design down to the last aluminum corner, the thing runs Windows! A MacBook Air has OS X and when you really must get down and dirty, VMWare, Parallels or Bootcamp. given these things are not dirt cheap why would anyone shell out for such a limited device, limited to a crappy OS? Please no one suggest Chrome As an second one
  • Reply 74 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

This guy should know:

Similarly, Dell CEO Michael Dell told an audience in Bangalore, India, on Monday that tablets and smartphones are not a preferable way to browse the Web compared to computers. Dell has not had success in the smartphone market and failed in its brief foray into tablets, though the company plans to return this year, Reuters reports.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/01/12/te...tml?hpt=hp_bn9

\

Yes, Michael, and soon we'll all be going back to hard wired phones...

Just give the money back to the shareholders...
  • Reply 75 of 93
    radarradar Posts: 271member
    Samsung might actually have a chance at this IF:

1) They allow their notebook division to be taken over by Apple;

2) Apple totally redesign those lame Samsung notebooks so that they're identical to MacBooks in form and function, and oh, they ditch Windows for OSX.

• Reply 76 of 93
    radarradar Posts: 271member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

I knew it!!!!

Finally you are outing yourself!!!

This board has become infested with Samsung employees over the past few months. They just keep changing their names.

Note: It's not working boys. Try something else.
  • Reply 77 of 93
    Quote:

The Ultrabooks shown at CES by Samsung are really nice. I don't think anyone had a better overall design......

I think Samsung has a chance of being the most profitable non-Mac PC vendor.

Hmmm, actually I thought the unit looked nice.... I did notice that there was no price given???

How is cost compared to MBAir.???

Also, it runs Windows.... OMG please. I have enough drama in my life with out that. LOL

Just a thought,

en
  • Reply 78 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Since about 90% of the world uses Windows, and since Apple discovered a style that consumers like, this is clearly going to be a big hit. .....

90% of the world uses windows cause the super cheap junk that they can afford only comes in windows...!!!!

If the cost of these machines is the same as a MBA and from what I am seeing it will be the same or higher, then my guess is that they will fly like lead balloons... Sure some will buy them, some.

2012 will be in interesting year.

en
  • Reply 79 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Samesung: "We're almost as good as Apple. You might even mistake our products for Apple's. Just ask our lawyers."

) good one. samsung is simply nothing.
  • Reply 80 of 93
    8002580025 Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Consumer electronics maker Samsung has voiced its goal of becoming the No. 1 notebook maker

Saying it doesn't make it so.