Reacting to Apple at CES 2012, part three: Sony, Motorola, RIM, Nokia

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeepBlade View Post

Cut The Rope HD on iPad is $1.99.

Cut The Rope HD on PlayBook is $2.99.

And $4.99 on Win8. What's wrong with this picture?
  • Reply 22 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Windows 8 is a "full" OS, not a "watered-down" OS, so you have to pay more.
  • Reply 23 of 46
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Always nice such a big electronics show. I remember one in 1991 (1992?) in Amsterdam: the Firato.

Apple was nowhere to find back then, but they did have 3D glasses with a 3D world you could enter.

Worked perfectly.

J.
  • Reply 24 of 46
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Cool cars!

Wait.....

Haha, I was about to comment on that too. Damn, guess I wasn't the only one thinking ROFL when I read that those companies decided to demo cars instead of technology
  • Reply 25 of 46
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:

Cut The Rope HD on iPad is $1.99.

Cut The Rope HD on PlayBook is $2.99.

You actually bought a Playbook?!
  • Reply 26 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

You actually bought a Playbook?!

Yes. I like the form factor.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    Quote:

Yes. I like the form factor.

Then you'll love the iPad.
  • Reply 28 of 46
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Twice the display area, 50x better construction, 1000x better support, and an ly better user experience.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    Quote:

x-axis: Number of users

y-axis: Price per User

According to that analysis,the game seems to be a steal on the PB and Win8. Underpriced by a factor of 1,000,000x (or something thereabouts).
  • Reply 30 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mausz View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dillger

Successive versions of Windows Phone plan to add support for NFC hardware (along with features such as front facing cameras), and Nokia is hoping to add increasing amounts of its own differentiating feature to its Windows Phone models.

I know it doesn't matter as no one is reading these articles for accurate information at this point, but FFC was in 7.5, which is a few months old now.

Pay attention Dillger, or you'll continue to get this stuff wrong.

You are correct, and might I add NFC has been added in Mango update as well (although currently not used by any hardware vendor, but as the statement suggest Mango is lacking support, this is 100% false)

I didn't even know about the NFC support, so I can't mock Dillger for not knowing that.

The fact Dillger didn't even know the basics of the Lumia 900 shows how much attention he was paying.

I don't even sure what the point of Dillger being at CES was.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wins the thread!
  • Reply 32 of 46
    envirogenvirog Posts: 188member
    CES seems like a really big waste of time!
  • Reply 33 of 46
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Aside from copying files around the local area the added speed would be of little use unless your Internet connection was also smoking fast. At my house, I'm supposed to be on 10 Mbs but in reality in the evenings when there is a lot of network traffic in the neighborhood, I get around 5 or less. Therefore in my situation .11ac would not add any benefit. Sure it would be nice to have but I might as well wait until my next MBP upgrade when it will be standard.

Try FiOS, I have close to 30 Mb/s up and down. I pay extra for the high upload as I use it for business. The beauty is no contention ratio issues like cable. The speed never drops due to local traffic as with old fashioned copper.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    Quote:

As of right now those are the only products I could find for 802.11ac. I'm sure there will be USB dongles sometime this year.

Apple is more systematic so I would expect some updated Macs supporting this the day they release new or updated AirPort products. They have also been ahead of the curve when adding new wireless standards to their wireless products. They aren't the first, but historically they are the first to go all in with support, and good news for consumers 802.11ac is moving much more swiftly than 802.11n ever did.

I agree Apple will go all in. I can go for a new AE but not a new MB just yet, having just bought one, so I'd like a dongle.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    jahonenjahonen Posts: 364member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

I know it doesn't matter as no one is reading these articles for accurate information at this point, but FFC was in 7.5, which is a few months old now.

Pay attention Dillger, or you'll continue to get this stuff wrong.

And included in the nokia lumia 900 http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_900-4275.php

Regs, jarkko
  • Reply 36 of 46
    Quote:

Twice the display area, 50x better construction, 1000x better support, and an ly better user experience.

Twice the display area but not as portable.

Both the iPad2 and PlayBook have really good hardware. I find that Android tablets' hardware construction is the worst... The speakers on the PlayBook have much better bass and are much louder than the iPad2 though.

Yes, better support (I'm assuming you mean app support)... It feels like there are no apps worth downloading on the PB, except for the games.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    Quote:

You get the "full PC experience" on Win8.

You must now reboot your tablet.

Press F8 to enter safe mode.

Contact your system administrator.

Your copy of Windows 8 is not genuine.

You must enter your product key again.

Outlook is not responding.

Warning: Terminating a process can cause undesired results including loss of data and system instability.
  • Reply 38 of 46
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You get the "full PC experience" on Win8.

Don't forget:

"Windows setup did not detect any keyboard, press F6 to continue"
  • Reply 39 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Don't forget:

"Windows setup did not detect any keyboard, press F6 to continue"

I did not know that one. In all the years I owned a Windows PC, I never knew what F6 was for. Now I know: it's what you press when you don't have a keyboard.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

Interestingly, P2i states that Motorola has already begun coating the Droid RAZR phone and XYBOARD tablet with its technology, something that Motorola refers to as "splash guard."

iOS users will have to wait for Apple to adopt the technology, because P2i doesn't offer the process to consumers. Be sure to check out our Weekend Review tomorrow for footage of Aridion's magic in action.

This could be big. Think of all the products it might extend the life of. If they've got good patents, either a possible investment (if listed) or takeover target.

Most interesting thing in the whole article - even if an article about how nothing at the show was interesting.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The Aridion process looks very cool. It would be nice to have clothes that behave like that in the rain.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

http://www.liquipel.com/

Liquipel also had a booth and has a consumer front end as well. They will treat about anything but you will have to be away from your phone for a week. Tech looks cool.