12% of iPad owners in the enterprise no longer use their laptop

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mkral View Post

I did a little experiment last year where I used an iPad only for a week (no computer). By the end of the week, I was really good at it & now I actually prefer the ipad to the computer for many tasks. I think that the two big shortfalls onthe ipad (I use an external keybaord) are excel and the inability to view more than 1 item at a time. Pages & Keynote are good enough (in my opinion) to fill in for word/powerpoint. Numbers is just not as full-featured as excel and is a big limitation. Not being able to view multiple windows at once is the other big downfall. I see the logic with the 10" screen, but I would hope that at some point, you could plug in an external monitor & run 2 apps (one on each screen). Aside from that, the ipad really does all that I need it to do already. Pretty impressive for a device that's only a few years old.

One of the Windows 8 Tablet demos (x86) showed the ability to drag from the left side of the display (landscape) and split the display into 2 windows. Then they could run another app in the new window...

I assume that this would running the same app with another document would be possible.

I like the idea if it can be done within the constraints of the device (RAM, CPU, etc.).

At some point we are going to see large screen multitouch devices that will be able to approximate or exceed today's desktop.

The whole desktop paradigm needs to be rethought and reimplemented to seamlessly support touch and kb/mouse UI.

Lion and Windows 8 appear to be initial steps in this direction.
  • Reply 62 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

So SolipsismX and DED are the same person?

Nah! She's whoring for MS
  • Reply 63 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mkral View Post

I think that the two big shortfalls onthe ipad (I use an external keybaord) are excel and the inability to view more than 1 item at a time.

Add in "a better way to share data between different applications" and you just described Windows 8.

Even if it tanks in the consumer space it's not hard to see it finding a place in business.

Except if Microsoft release Office on the iPad... then all bets are off.
  • Reply 64 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Add in "a better way to share data between different applications" and you just described Windows 8.

Even if it tanks in the consumer space it's not hard to see it finding a place in business.

If the so called experts are correct, Windows 8 will flop in the enterprise. There care tons of computers that are still on XP and in the process of moving to Win 7. From my initial preview of a Win 8 machine, once you get past the initial interface, it is Win 7. Looks like lipstick on a pig or whip cream on a turd.
  • Reply 65 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nastybrit View Post

I work in a maintenance department and use my personal iPad often. Have loads of building plans with locations of vital services, sub boards and stop valves that are hidden above ceilings. Also used it on equipment that we no longer have plans for and needed wiring diagrams to repair, google search and done. Saved me loads of time. Management are now thinking of using them now to issue jobs also. Fantastic tool.

Admittedly I use my iPad at home for email, news, browsing and other activities while having breakfast or watching TV.

At work, however, I use my iPad for one thing - storage of thousands of pages of wiring diagrams which are all in PDF. I carry it with me instead of several huge 3" binder filled with paper versions. It's do damn convenient that if the only thing it did was display PDF's I'd still spend $500 on one.

When a friend of mine saw that (he's in preventative maintenance for a factory) he got an iPad right away and installed all the technical manuals for all the equipment he maintains so they're always with him when he does his rounds. I thought of him as soon as I read the first sentence of your post.
  • Reply 66 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

I would be interested to see a breakdown on how they were using the iPad for work-related purposes. Web browsing and news article reading stats does not tell me much.

Add me to the iPad user list, use an iMac at work for the heavy lifting. As for what I do on my iPad, I use it primarily for remote or on the go support of our network infrastructure. I have yet to run into a support situation it isn't suited for and I find more & more ways to use it every day. In fact there are even some things I can now do with my iPad that I could not with my laptop, though nothing I'd consider major.

Fact is when Apple says there's an app for that, the truth is there really is. As my only computer, no, would never go fully iPad. However, I have no plans to ever go back to a laptop, especially since I can get a lot more power in an iMac for the same price point. There are a few jobs out there that I believe don't have this luxury though, but certainly I think they will begin to become the exception instead of the rule. The world of computing is changing.
  • Reply 67 of 79
    x38x38 Posts: 97member
    I would love to be able to replace my laptop with an iPad and a number of my coworkers have tried, but with limited success. The main problem in the work environment is that it REALLY needs a file browser that can be accessed by the user and third party apps. There are some third party solutions, but they aren't out of the box and a kludgey enough that most of folks I know have given up.

It's a shame as this would be absolutely trivial for Apple to fix - just release an app version of the Finder for ios. Surely it would only take a minimal effort to port it.

The other thing it needs is an option for external pointers, like a wireless mouse, especially when used with an external screen. Again, since this capability already exists in the iOS SDK simulator, it should be trivial to implement.

Those are really the only two things holding it back. Since they would be so easy to fix, I can only assume Apple deliberately wants to hold it back from being a full laptop replacement. Shame, my back would really appreciate it.
  • Reply 68 of 79
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by X38 View Post

I would love to be able to replace my laptop with an iPad and a number of my coworkers have tried, but with limited success. The main problem in the work environment is that it REALLY needs a file browser that can be accessed by the user and third party apps. There are some third party solutions, but they aren't out of the box and a kludgey enough that most of folks I know have given up.

It's a shame as this would be absolutely trivial for Apple to fix - just release an app version of the Finder for ios. Surely it would only take a minimal effort to port it.

The other thing it needs is an option for external pointers, like a wireless mouse, especially when used with an external screen. Again, since this capability already exists in the iOS SDK simulator, it should be trivial to implement.

Those are really the only two things holding it back. Since they would be so easy to fix, I can only assume Apple deliberately wants to hold it back from being a full laptop replacement. Shame, my back would really appreciate it.

So you're suggesting they should have Mac OS X on the iPad, not created iOS for devices that mostly rely on touch-based input. No! Those things won't happen... ever. They would damage everything Apple has down to make the iPad the first widely usable tablet.
  • Reply 69 of 79
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Except it looks like Windows 8 will be a bifurcated beast, running Metro only on ARM tablets, with a Metro start screen appended to Intel machines.

So instead of a tablet that "runs Windows" (and everything that entails) what you actually get is something like what Apple has done (albeit more conceptually muddled): a subset of Windows tuned for tablet use, with some limited interaction between traditional Windows apps and Metro apps, plus a certain amount of "tabletification" of the traditional desktop.

And, of course, a certain number of Intel tablets that run Windows in the same sense that MS tablets have always run Windows-- awkwardly, in that just because you can make desktop apps respond to touch doesn't make them useful.
  • Reply 70 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nastybrit View Post

I work in a maintenance department and use my personal iPad often. Have loads of building plans with locations of vital services, sub boards and stop valves that are hidden above ceilings. Also used it on equipment that we no longer have plans for and needed wiring diagrams to repair, google search and done. Saved me loads of time. Management are now thinking of using them now to issue jobs also. Fantastic tool.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Admittedly I use my iPad at home for email, news, browsing and other activities while having breakfast or watching TV.

At work, however, I use my iPad for one thing - storage of thousands of pages of wiring diagrams which are all in PDF. I carry it with me instead of several huge 3" binder filled with paper versions. It's do damn convenient that if the only thing it did was display PDF's I'd still spend $500 on one.

When a friend of mine saw that (he's in preventative maintenance for a factory) he got an iPad right away and installed all the technical manuals for all the equipment he maintains so they're always with him when he does his rounds. I thought of him as soon as I read the first sentence of your post.

A few questions for you guys:

1) How you get the "plans and diagrams" into PDF format?

2) How are they inputed and stored on the iPad?

3) Are these documents indexable and searchable?

4) What apps, if any do you use?
  • Reply 71 of 79
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I too, am impressed with OnLive... and agree that "it is scarily good".

My problem, though, is that I don't use any of those apps (or any MS Office apps). And the menus and controls are too small for finger touch accuracy -- a stylus would be OK.

I have dreamed of a BackToMyMac app for the iPad to provide similar function for OS X.

Then there is this:

FCPX on the iPad

OMG I just got Splash Remote thanks to your link. It is on a special offer price too. To heck with FCPX, I'm running the real Final Cut Pro 7 on my iPad no problem!

Thanks for the link. Seriously, Splash Remote is the most amazing thing I have ever played with. I can now litterally do anything on the iPad!

I just took a screen shot of my iPad's screen running Aperture on my Mac on the iPad and saw the image via Photo Stream appear in a few seconds ... It's like a mirror in a mirror in a mirror .... This is mind blowing.
  • Reply 72 of 79
    Quote:

Print anything on a Mac to PDF it's a built in option of OS X.

Use GoodReader for iPad to get anything you want onto the iPad via iTunes or email the PDFs to the iPad and select open in iBook. As to searchable, use Bento for iPad maybe? Not tried that yet.
  • Reply 73 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

OMG I just got Splash Remote thanks to your link. It is on a special offer price too. To heck with FCPX, I'm running the real Final Cut Pro 7 on my iPad no problem!

Thanks for the link. Seriously, Splash Remote is the most amazing thing I have ever played with. I can now litterally do anything on the iPad!

I just took a screen shot of my iPad's screen running Aperture on my Mac on the iPad and saw the image via Photo Stream appear in a few seconds ... It's like a mirror in a mirror in a mirror .... This is mind blowing.

I understand that you're not a convert to FCP X...

But, I have been fiddling around to try and understand how it works, advantages, etc...

So here's something I did:

1) turned OFF background rendering

2) created an empty event on external drive (Promise Pegasus Thunderbolt RAID)

3) created a new project on the same drive

4) setup the event to import files by reference (do not copy files just link to them) -- no transcoding, no analysis, no nothing!

5) imported several files from my iDisk... yes, I said iDisk

With me so far?

So, I've got 12 clips with about a GB of data stored on my iDisk.

The space used on my local Pegasus drive for both project and events is less than 80 MB -- yes, 80 MegaBytes.

In FCP X, the clips show up in the event browser where I can do pre-edit work (metadata, collections, rate shots, rejects, rough-cut ins/outs...)

So, I start editing...

Everything plays, is editable, add effects, transitions, color corrections, titles, transforms, Ken Burns yadda, yadda, yadda...

I am editing fricking video that doesn't even exist on my computer -- it's down at the bottom of some iDisk well, being streamed by what usually performs like a D.C. Hayes 300 Baud modem... I never render... just edit.

But, it edits as if it were on my built-in SSD.

I don't understand all I know about this... yet... Nor do I appreciate all the implications...

But there's something pretty profound about this...

I am connected and detached at the same time...

I am doing complex manipulation of files that don't exist [on my computer]...

And I am doing it with speed and ease!

...And it's fun!

• Reply 74 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Except it looks like Windows 8 will be a bifurcated beast, running Metro only on ARM tablets, with a Metro start screen appended to Intel machines.

So instead of a tablet that "runs Windows" (and everything that entails) what you actually get is something like what Apple has done (albeit more conceptually muddled): a subset of Windows tuned for tablet use, with some limited interaction between traditional Windows apps and Metro apps, plus a certain amount of "tabletification" of the traditional desktop.

And, of course, a certain number of Intel tablets that run Windows in the same sense that MS tablets have always run Windows-- awkwardly, in that just because you can make desktop apps respond to touch doesn't make them useful.

Well you made that sound complicated!

How about this instead... Windows 8 runs Metro apps. If you want access to a Windows 7 style desktop you need an Intel machine.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macclone View Post

If the so called experts are correct, Windows 8 will flop in the enterprise. There care tons of computers that are still on XP and in the process of moving to Win 7. From my initial preview of a Win 8 machine, once you get past the initial interface, it is Win 7.

So Windows 8 will flop in the enterprise because they are moving from XP to Windows 7, and from what you can tell Windows 8 is just like Windows 7.

Read that over and get back to me.
  • Reply 75 of 79
    So in other words the majority of people used to use a computer (now an iPad) as a modern day replacement for the newspaper, the telephone, and maybe the TV; and not much else. Now we see why the $500 PC really kicked off 6-7 years ago. It's hard to justify $1,000+ just to be able to read more stuff.
  • Reply 76 of 79
    Quote:

I understand that you're not a convert to FCP X...

But, I have been fiddling around to try and understand how it works, advantages, etc...

So here's something I did:

1) turned OFF background rendering

2) created an empty event on external drive (Promise Pegasus Thunderbolt RAID)

3) created a new project on the same drive

4) setup the event to import files by reference (do not copy files just link to them) -- no transcoding, no analysis, no nothing!

5) imported several files from my iDisk... yes, I said iDisk

With me so far?

So, I've got 12 clips with about a GB of data stored on my iDisk.

The space used on my local Pegasus drive for both project and events is less than 80 MB -- yes, 80 MegaBytes.

In FCP X, the clips show up in the event browser where I can do pre-edit work (metadata, collections, rate shots, rejects, rough-cut ins/outs...)

So, I start editing...

Everything plays, is editable, add effects, transitions, color corrections, titles, transforms, Ken Burns yadda, yadda, yadda...

I am editing fricking video that doesn't even exist on my computer -- it's down at the bottom of some iDisk well, being streamed by what usually performs like a D.C. Hayes 300 Baud modem... I never render... just edit.

But, it edits as if it were on my built-in SSD.

I don't understand all I know about this... yet... Nor do I appreciate all the implications...

But there's something pretty profound about this...

I am connected and detached at the same time...

I am doing complex manipulation of files that don't exist [on my computer]...

And I am doing it with speed and ease!

...And it's fun!

I am a convert as well as using 7 still ... I also love iPhoto but depend on Aperture for work ... if you see the parallel there?

In truth I use both, I was just amazed how badly the whole thing was handled and felt bad for production suites with long established work flows that simply could not migrate in the middle of long on going projects. Heck imagine if you had a two year contract for a major TV show and were told the software was no longer available if you needed more seats, would not be updated and no guarantee it would work on newer hardware ... The replacement was radically different and couldn't open existing work, i,e, all your openings and endings for the weekly show . I could go on. .. The folks that screamed the 'pros' were just being luddites simply had no idea what a difficult situation it was. As I have stated many times, Apple could have simply run the two versions in parallel for a few years and eased the specs of X up over time and given everyone time to adjust ... but what they did was pretty un Apple IMHO. But I don't want to open that wound again in this thread ... sorry for digression ...

Back to your use of X (and on the iPad too if required) BTW ... loving Splashtop more and more

I am fascinated by your set up, I will see if I can replicate it. I am not 100% sure I understand, I assume you never saw high quality previews when editing data via iDisk did you? If so I wonder if somehow the files were rendered locally without you realizing.
  • Reply 77 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Back to your use of X (and on the iPad too if required) BTW ... loving Splashtop more and more

I am fascinated by your set up, I will see if I can replicate it. I am not 100% sure I understand, I assume you never saw high quality previews when editing data via iDisk did you? If so I wonder if somehow the files were rendered locally without you realizing.

Well...

It's not really a "setup" -- I was just experimenting!

I was editing un-rendered and un-transcoded -- the original source media from iDisk was displayed as I edited and played.

There were only 75 MB in the Event folder and 5 MB in the Project folder.

If I turned WiFi OFF (removing access to the iDisk) then all the clips and thumbnails (event & project) showed as missing -- Turn WiFi ON and the missing files were reconnected.

Then I rendered the project (about 6 clips stacked over the the full-length movie Bella. The project file ballooned from 5 MB to over 25 GB.

I had just grabbed some random files to see what would happen....

I will do some more methodical experiments with clips of varying quality & post results and/or PM you.
  • Reply 78 of 79
    ronsterronster Posts: 153member
    Quote:

I too, am impressed with OnLive... and agree that "it is scarily good".

My problem, though, is that I don't use any of those apps (or any MS Office apps). And the menus and controls are too small for finger touch accuracy -- a stylus would be OK.

I have dreamed of a BackToMyMac app for the iPad to provide similar function for OS X.

Then there is this:

FCPX on the iPad

On our iPad, I setup VNC to log into the Vista laptop or the Mac Mini and X2 for my wife to log into her work Win2008 Remote Desktop if she is out (home office). The mouse functionality is kinda funky but you get used to it.

The Onlive app is not available on the Canadian store yet, but it looks pretty slick. Too bad the free version you cant use RDP on it (no internet options, only on the $9.99 per month version).

That Splashtop app looks neat too...may have to try that one...
  • Reply 79 of 79
    Quote:

Easy - I use Evernote & a snapscan scanner. Evernote has a client for every device you have & allows pdf & jpg searching. If your hand writing is good enough, it will also search that! Plus clipping websites & desktops, it's a life saver! Free as well! Have a look...