iOS 5.1 beta 3 hints Apple is planning deep Facebook integration

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

Evidence that Apple is building system-wide iPhone and iPad integration with Facebook, like it already does with Twitter, has been found in the latest beta of iOS 5.1.

Digging through the recently released third beta of iOS 5.1, iMore discovered evidence that Apple could add deep Facebook integration into a future operating system update. In one screenshot shown for the iOS Contacts application, there is an option to enter a person's Facebook user name right below their Twitter account.

System-wide Twitter integration was one of the most-touted features of iOS 5, which was publicly released last October. After its release, signups for Twitter grew by 25 percent.

Deep integration with the social networking service allows users to quickly post Web links from Safari or pictures saved in the Photos application to Twitter. Presumably, future iOS integration with Facebook would offer similar functionality, making it easier for users to share information with their friends on the popular website.

The pre-release build of iOS 5.1 also reportedly includes references to new iPad models named "J1AP" and "J2AP." The references corroborate with rumored code-names of "J1" and "J2" that were first reported last November, when it was said Apple was secretly working on two new iPad models.

The third beta of iOS 5.1 was provided to developers last week. It is compatible with the iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 2, iPad, and fourth- and third-generation iPod touch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    Well good for sales hopefully but I can live without this feature personally
  • Reply 2 of 78
    Anyone want to bet with me when all the social networking nonsense will fade out?

2015, maybe?
  • Reply 3 of 78
    I see we are still stuck with the horrible Address book interface.

Glad to see Apple REALLY working hard to improve iOS 5.1 with meaningful crap like "deeper FaceBook integration".

BFD.
  • Reply 4 of 78
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I wonder what the AP after J1 and J2 could stand for.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Anyone want to bet with me when all the social networking nonsense will fade out?

2015, maybe?

Social networking will become more ingrained over time, not less.
  • Reply 5 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

• Reply 6 of 78
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Presumably, Facebook integration with Facebook would offer similar functionality, making it easier for users to share information with their friends on the popular website.

I know it is just a typo, but it falls into the funny category.
  • Reply 7 of 78
    Quote:

2015, maybe?

That far off?
  • Reply 8 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

There is a risk (I resisted saying 'hope' there) it becomes badly tainted by nefarious organizations and scams and goes the way of AOL or .... perhaps evolves into something less f%^%^*^%&*g annoying?
  • Reply 9 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I know it is just a typo, but it falls into the funny category.

Wouldn't that be a seriously dangerous endless feedback loop that could bring down the entire internet?
  • Reply 10 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That far off?

Well, you know me. Pessimist all the way. I actually thought that was a pretty optimistic date by my standards?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

There is a risk (I resisted saying 'hope' there)

I was going to say; SURELY you mean hope!
  • Reply 11 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

I see we are still stuck with the horrible Address book interface. ...

I don't mind the interface, but I'd like to see them make it a bit more functional.

So many of the iOS apps or widgets have only a subset of the functionality of the desktop version which is itself really just a placeholder. Address book is one of them.

Very minimal functionality at best even on the desktop, and the mobile version doesn't even have half of that.
  • Reply 12 of 78
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Well, "Tweet" context menu item here and there already irritates me. Why should I see it if I never gonna use it? Now "Facebook"?
  • Reply 13 of 78
    Quote:

Anyone want to bet with me when all the social networking nonsense will fade out? ...

I don't see them fading out at all.

For better or worse, Facebook & Twitter are merely modern, mobile extensions of email and text chats, and forums on websites, which are themselves newer versions of the BBS or IRC, which come out of previous incarnations like Telex and telegrams etc.

People have a need to chatter at each other and while the methods may get faster and more immediate, the need for such chatter will always be with us as long as we are human IMO.
  • Reply 14 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Well, "Tweet" context menu item here and there already irritates me. Why should I see it if I never gonna use it? Now "Facebook"?

I do agree that Apple should allow you to remove these from the system if you aren't going to use them. They could even make it automated by not showing up if you haven't input any Twitter or FB account info in Settings.
  • Reply 15 of 78
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

seems like, and that's gonna be darn funny...

not!

Hi Apple, how about opt in/out for Twitter, Facebook, and all those related context menus, huh?! How you "Like" me now?
  • Reply 16 of 78
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:

2015, maybe?

Around that time, I think. It's just a product of SMS being so limited. Now we have messaging-over-IP services like iMessage they can begin to incorporate features of social networking. Integrating this stuff is a great strategy for Apple though. They can integrate Facebook but provide similar features as extensions to their existing apps, like messaging, contacts, etc, and slowly migrate people away from Facebook. Facebook will just become a website for people without smartphones to see what smartphone users are doing and interact with them. It'll be a second-rate experience.
  • Reply 17 of 78
    Where do I sign up for total Facebook disintegration?
  • Reply 18 of 78
    On thing 5.1 (at least on the iPhone) needs to fix is the inability to address an iMessage to a person who uses an email address from within iMessage. You have to go to contacts and create a new iMessage. This is a work around and prevents you from using more than one email address if addressing to multiple people.
  • Reply 19 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Where do I sign up for total Facebook disintegration?

I've tried that several times after I initially joined and tried to leave but it seems near impossible to achieve. One accidental click and it comes back just as you left it ... no deletion possible. It's like a twilight zone episode! Also now I see distant mad and insane relatives I have leaving unbelievably dumb comments on Facebook pages of people I know well saying things like they just burned the toast and I know I'm responsible for the connection.. aaaggghhh.

Could someone please write an app that goes back through all the connections and connections of connections you started and delete them all as if you never joined ... ? George Bailey in reverse?
  • Reply 20 of 78
    maecvsmaecvs Posts: 129member
    Quote:

2015, maybe?

That's what the buggy and whip makers said about the horseless carriage......