Apple posts full video of iBooks 2 education event

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Wow! I bet he thinks lawns are also gotten off of less these days, too.

The concept that kids are inherently more dumb today than in years past is bigotry unless one has some evidence to show why one thinks they are less capable of comprehending what he calls simple math and spelling. Note that neither of those activities are unlikely to be "seen" in others "walking around". I fathom how one can make such a harsh judgement with no evidence to back it up.

Maybe he meant they are ignorant in ways that he prides himself in not being, but ignorance is something we are all afflicted with for our entire lives. We may know certain subjects well but the vast majority of knowledge can't be known by our finite minds. Very few people throughout history are credited with being the pinnacle expert in multiple vocations. I only wish I was able to focus on one skill to hone more than the others that I could be the top of that field. That simply isn't going to happen.

I do think today's children are more learned about the world than the previous generations because of the information they have access to. They are inherently better with digital age concepts that took us much longer to learn, especially if we didn't learn them until well into our adult years. I look forward to what the world will do with all this knowledge.
    I hear babies crying, I watch them grow

They'll learn much more than I'll never know

And I think to myself what a wonderful world

Yes I think to myself what a wonderful world

I like that post! That seems to me very insightful with a healthy portion of optimism, that I can completely share.

Yes despite economic crisis everywhere, I think we have a great future ahead of us! And more and more it turns out, that Apple plays a central role in brightening up the future for us.

Steve Jobs wanted to change the world?

Well he did it. And although he parted from us, he somehow continues to do so.
  • Reply 42 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I think it should be called iBooks Composer not iBooks Author. Because, watching the presentation, all the content is authored in other apps (Word, Keynote, Photoshop) and in iBooks Author you just compose it all together.

Some hair splitting you do?

I think from what I have seen so far, it's a great tool. Whether they call it this or that doesn't really matter. The ease of use makes me wonder why has nobody done anything alike before.
  • Reply 43 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Hmm..

WIth all due respect, I'd shudder if those parents were half as horrible as you, in terms of passing on stuff like the above to their kids. I'd can only imagine how much more horrible of a world we'd live in, with more people sharing your utter disdain and contempt for those less fortunate than they are. I'd worry for any child raised this way and having this type of filth passed down to them. If I were you I'd refrain from talking about stupidity or ignorance. You flaunt them in spades.

Hey, for once I agree with you!

edit ... My Bad Slurpy ... I didn't have my glasses on and read that as Slappy! Forgive me
  • Reply 44 of 44
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I think it should be called iBooks Composer not iBooks Author. Because, watching the presentation, all the content is authored in other apps (Word, Keynote, Photoshop) and in iBooks Author you just compose it all together.

Good observation but that is as it should be because that is where the astounding power of this application really shines. The text is the foundation of the iBooks but the rest of the multimedia elements are best created in applications specialized for that purpose. I think they did a pretty good job of integrating everything together. Initially I was complaining about the lack of linking to rather than embedding which I still see as an issue with large files along with outputting to an uneditable binary file format but I now understand that they really didn't have any choice if they were going to provide compatibility with all of the various widgets that can be imported.

We just need to get up to speed with Dashcode and Quartz composer because that is where the customization is. I have a lot of questions as do many developers based on the number and types of questions on the Apple discussion forum. The coming weeks will be interesting.