Verizon's 4.2M Q4 iPhone activations were more than half of its smartphones

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    when will we see the numbers?
  • Reply 22 of 31
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Great. Now the analysts will latch on to this information and predict that Apple sold 42.731 billion iPhones last quarter and if they sell a single unit less, the stock will plummet.

Actually, it turns out that it's already happening - shares are down more than 1% so far today.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    It's also funny that the resident trolls that infest AI are (as usual) convenient quiet about this and certain Android-centric sites don't make a single mention about this article.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Forget Siri, which I find completely unhelpful. What's MOST impressive about the iPhone 4S is something that is based on Siri: SYSTEMWIDE VOICE DICTATION (in every single app). Now THAT is truly awesome.

I just wish my telephone dialing and music playing commands could be done locally. The lag that was introduced when that went onto the cloud is really annoying.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

It's also funny that the resident trolls that infest AI are (as usual) convenient quiet about this and certain Android-centric sites don't make a single mention about this article.

Actually other sites are talking about this, but they give even more information than AI gave. If you get past the headline, which I suspect many of you would call biased, you'll see that the article lists full annual sales as well as sales for the fourth quarter.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/01/24...11/#more-59339
  • Reply 26 of 31
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Great. Now the analysts will latch on to this information and predict that Apple sold 42.731 billion iPhones last quarter and if they sell a single unit less, the stock will plummet.

Actually, it turns out that it's already happening - shares are down more than 1% so far today.

This is what happens when you don't understand the stock market.

Expectations are all that matters. Apple hit an ALL TIME HIGH this past month. That's because people are really optimistic. If Apple doesn't meet the most optimistic expectation, the people who shared that expectation will be disappointed, and they will sell their stock.

That will cause the stock to drop back to where it WOULD HAVE BEEN if expectations had been lower.

To give a simple, numerical example:

Apple starts at $350, and expectations for earnings are $8 per share. Say expectations increase to $10 earnings, and drive Apple shares to $400, and then expectations increase to $11, driving it to $425.

When earnings come out, and they hit $10, the stock falls back to $400. People who don't understand the world and think everyone is out to get them complain that Apple PLUNGED because expectations were too high.

People who do understand the world (they call them "smart money") see that Apple rose from $350 to $400 and are very happy with that. They understand that if someone is disappointed, they will sell. But if they had never bought between $400 and $425, the stock would have stayed at $400 and not fallen after earnings.

I don't understand why more people aren't ashamed to be dumb money. It's like finding a family that sacrifices virgins to make the sun keep rising. Being ignorant of something so simple and easy to learn about should be shameful. It's not complicated, how this all works.

Overexcitement causes the stock to rise too much, then reality sets in and it falls back to reflect reality. The end result is the same, just because there's a quick round trip from 400 to 425 and back, doesn't change the value of the shares - $400.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Yep. Their silence is deafening. In 2 quarters, the iPhone has become 1/2 of Verizon's smartphone market. The same can probably be said for AT&T, and it might be close for Sprint.

It's too bad that Apple is doomed.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

Yep. Their silence is deafening. In 2 quarters, the iPhone has become 1/2 of Verizon's smartphone market. The same can probably be said for AT&T, and it might be close for Sprint.

The silence is refreshing to say the least. I wonder if iMessage will still work next year when Apple is out of business.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

I'm actually surprised it's not higher. Most of the people that bought a Droid were up for an upgrade and many of those really wanted an iPhone. Yes I'm an Android user but also own Apple devices. I see the plus and minuses in both. I've never bad mouthed the iPhone, in fact I often recommend it to those I believe would benefit from its ease of use and user experience. I don't get into the iOS vs Android arguments because they're simply childish. A Android user will never make you see things his/her way and vice versa.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iPhone sales are greater at AT&T

But do we know that is still true? Has ATT announce their numbers yet? 4.2 of 7.7 million Verizon smartphones were iPhone. ATT said they sold a total of 6 million smartphones, but I didn't see in the article that they've said how many of those were iPhones. 70% of their total smartphone sales would have to have been iPhones to top Verizon's 4.2 million.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    This is interesting: Despite AT&T and Verizon being on "equal" footing with the release of the iPhone 4S AT&T managed to sell 7.6 million iPhones compared to Verizon's 4.2 million iPhones. That's 80% more iPhones. Granted, AT&T also has the iPhone 3GS to sell but there is no way that accounts for such a wide gap. So what happened to everyone jumping ship from AT&T as soon as Verizon gets the iPhone?