Apple earns record $13B on sales of 37M iPhones, 15M iPads and 5.2M Macs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonfj View Post

Why are iPods still mentioned? The world has moved on, and it's upgraded to the iPhone.

While the iPod market is declining, the iPod product line is more popular with a younger demographic, the 13-24 year old group that often can't afford a smartphone cellular contract. There will always be some kids who need to start with a relatively inexpensive device.

A lot of iPhone users will also have a shuffle or nano around anyhow for exercising (running, cycling, the gym).

Note that over half of Apple's iPod sales are the iPod touch. Steve Jobs said that the iPod touch was training wheels for the iPhone. The kid with the iPod touch today is next year's iPhone user.
  • Reply 22 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Can't wait for Amazon to release actual numbers this week. It will be fun to watch their stock plummet.

? Will they actually do that? Amazon hasn't ever released numbers before?
  • Reply 23 of 90

Apple's swiming in money
  • Reply 24 of 90
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    The rate of increase of the rate of increase is falling!!! Apple is DOOMED.
  • Reply 25 of 90
    I knew the analysts were full of shit when they lowered their iPad numbers. They started saying 13 to 13.5 million but a few of us kept saying 15 million.

Way to go Apple!
  • Reply 26 of 90
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    After-hours trading has given me a few heart-attacks.

It's a really good feeling to be an AAPL owner. My office colleagues got out ages ago because they didn't have thick-enough skin. It's funny watching them right now kicking each other.

I had an opportunity to buy more a couple months ago when it was in the $380 range but even I got a little conservative. My current holdings definitely has me being a happy camper!!

Go APPLE!! It's quite relishing to see Slappy and all the other iHaters getting b!tch-slapped yet again.

Oh, and by the way.... Apple is doomed.
  • Reply 27 of 90
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    I just made 30 000 $ in one day. WoW.

and this is my first week trading options.

Go Apple
  • Reply 28 of 90
    Quote:

Why are iPods still mentioned? The world has moved on, and it's upgraded to the iPhone.

They have to give Slappy a place to hang his hat. He'll be all over that iPod number.
  • Reply 29 of 90
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    I wish Steve lived to see these numbers.
  • Reply 30 of 90
    No doubt this has to be one of the best blowout quarters ever seen by anyone. Well done.

A few things that did jump out at me personally,

- Nearly 60% of the business this quarter was not in the US. Interesting.

- Comparing YoY for the quarter doesn't make sense since they moved the iPhone launch this year.

- The sub $9 target for Q2 suggests to me on wild speculation there won't be an iPad 3 until Q3 or at the earliest very end of Q2.
  • Reply 31 of 90
    Still laughing, Monkey Boy!

After this announcement the board at MS might be taking some ideas from RIM...
  • Reply 32 of 90
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:

I hope Apple continues with the iPod line. My car has an iPod interface and I bought an iPod nano simply to plug it in my car and leave it in there. I certainly don't want to use a more expensive iPhone or iPod Touch that I will never really handle since I can control it from my dashboard.

Can't beat the nano/shuffle for true portability if you're jogging or at the gym.

There's a market for these kind of devices. Selling tens of million units is still nothing to cry about. There is still a huge market for a non-touch iPod.

Go APPLE!
  • Reply 33 of 90
    If I could I would quit the stock buying club I quit 19 years ago because they voted down my choice of Apple for a tech stock. $10,000 in Apple stock would have gone a long way when it was trading around $30. Instead we bought some lame-o company that tanked the following year. I was so pissed and am reminded each time Apple breaks records.
  • Reply 34 of 90
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ry.html&page=2

Andy Zaky and Horace Dediu called it almost right on the money over a month ago
  • Reply 35 of 90
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I knew the analysts were full of shit when they lowered their iPad numbers. They started saying 13 to 13.5 million but a few of us kept saying 15 million.

Way to go Apple!

In previous quarters, the non-professional analysts were closer to final results in almost all cases (with Q4 2011 being one of the few exceptions). In this case, even the non-pros greatly underestimated the results and the pros were WAY off.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/compani...2012-earnings/

It's really funny how far off most of the 'expert' analysts were. Just like every quarter but one for the past 2-3 years.
  • Reply 36 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

I wish Steve lived to see these numbers.

As do all of us Alumni who know what he'd say. To Steve this would just be the start of the conversation and how more resources will go into Apple reinventing and inventing new markets for years to come.
  • Reply 37 of 90
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    So why can't other company do what apple does, they proven that a tech company can make money without have to figure out how to make it for less.

SO what does wallstreet start hamming Exxon for losing their number one position in the world. Apple just made Oil company profits.
  • Reply 38 of 90
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
  • Reply 39 of 90
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Apple revenues more than double Microsoft's. Ten years ago nobody would have predicted this.
  • Reply 40 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Apple revenues more than double Microsoft's. Ten years ago nobody would have predicted this.

That's just a rounding error...