Massive holiday quarter pushes iPhone sales past Android in US

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

Apple's share of smartphones sold in the U.S. doubled in the fourth quarter of 2011, pushing iPhone sales just past the myriad of devices that run Google's Android platform.

With just three different iPhone models available for sale, Apple reached a 44.9 percent share of U.S. smartphone sales last quarter, according to research firm Kantar Worldpanel ComTech. That was good enough to just barely edge Google's Android platform, which is available on all major carriers and from a wide number of handset manufacturers.

Apple's 44.9 percent share was twice that of a year prior, according to Reuters. And Apple's gains were Android's losses, as the platform slipped from 50 percent of sales to 44.8 percent.

Kantar covers nine key markets across the globe, and Apple's iPhone grew at a faster rate than Android in all nine countries. Microsoft's Windows Phone platform failed to crack 2 percent of sales in all nine markets, even with the launch of the Nokia Lumia.

The latest mobile market share data comes just as Apple posted a record quarter in which it far exceeded analyst expectations for the iPhone. The company blew away its previous best and sold 37 million iPhones, a number that easily topped the estimated 32 million smartphones rival Samsung sold in the same period.

Apple's feat of edging out Android came with just three models available for sale: the new iPhone 4S, the 2010 iPhone 4, and 2009's iPhone 3GS. In addition, Apple's iPhone lineup is not available on T-Mobile, the fourth-largest carrier in the U.S., and the iPhone 3GS, which is free with a two-year contract, is only available on AT&T.

In contrast, Android smartphones are available on all four major U.S. carriers from a number of manufacturers in a variety of sizes and styles, with different features like high-speed 4G LTE connectivity, large 4-plus-inch screens and physical keyboards.

Commenting on the race between the iPhone and Android, Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook said on Tuesday that while it's a close battle, other competitors like Microsoft cannot be counted out either. He also noted that while the iPhone and Android are neck-and-neck, Apple has a considerable lead in other markets with its iOS mobile operating system, which is found on both the iPad and the iPod touch.

"iOS, you look at phones, tablets, the iPod touch, we've sold over 350 million iOS devices," Cook said. "Over 62 million of those were done in the last quarter alone."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    That image is just going to make Slapppy think he's right.
  • Reply 2 of 73
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    This confirms visual evidence. I go weeks and only see iPhones in the adult world. Most of the Androids must be in kids bedrooms. I see a few high end Droids etc. now and then but the owners are willing to say that they are horrible and they are just waiting for their contracts to expire and they are definitely going iPhone. I even saw A Blackberry a few weeks back!
  • Reply 3 of 73
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Maybe if the Android was sweating a bit...
  • Reply 4 of 73
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

This confirms visual evidence. I go weeks and only see iPhones in the adult world. Most of the Androids must be in kids bedrooms. I see a few high end Droids etc. now and then but the owners are willing to say that they are horrible and they are just waiting for their contracts to expire and they are definitely going iPhone. I even saw A Blackberry a few weeks back!

Having seen the same in the wild, and assuming Google isn't just outright lying about activation numbers, my only conclusion is that there are a LOT of Android devices gathering dust in drawers somewhere, uncomfortable reminders of buyers' remorse.
  • Reply 5 of 73
    Quote:

... with different features like high-speed 4G LTE connectivity, large 4-plus-inch screens and physical keyboards.

No kiddin'.

And the iPhone 4S was such a disappointment because it didn't include all of the above.
  • Reply 6 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Having seen the same in the wild, and assuming Google isn't just outright lying about activation numbers, my only conclusion is that there are a LOT of Android devices gathering dust in drawers somewhere, uncomfortable reminders of buyers' remorse.

I wonder what will happen over the next year to Google, I suspect a slippery slope has steepened. No Android tablet whatsoever making any progress other than low end devices which are not hurting at iPad sales and will wet the owners' appetites to upgrade I'm sure. The truth about the Android phone sales now becoming obvious. Meanwhile every iOS device on the Internet damages Google's web ad sales bottom line as apps neatly bypass them. This year we will see Apple's own mapping system I am certain. None of the aforementioned is good for Google.
  • Reply 7 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sticknick View Post

No kiddin'.

And the iPhone 4S was such a disappointment because it didn't include all of the above.

Hmmm... and I said that in the 2012 holiday quarter Apple would steal market share from Android because of those added features...

... never would I have guessed that it would happen this holiday quarter with the 4S. Steal from Symbian and Blackberry, yes... but not Android.

So, now I'll predict with absolute confidence that when Apple adds those features Android will lose substantial market share (... and iPhone sales of 40+ million will be common place... and possibly 50+ million).
  • Reply 8 of 73
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:

Just about everyone I know that owns an Android device has nothing but hatred for them. Pick a reason. Horrible build quality, sluggish OS, battery life, breaks after 6 months, the list goes on. They are all waiting to qualify for a phone upgrade so they can move to an iPhone. That's the reality.

And yet the Android shills will inevitably spin this story to make it sound like a non-event. Shame on them in accepting such low standards.
  • Reply 9 of 73
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    The time of poets is upon us and Apple is its leader.

There is justice in these times of lies and prognostic failures.

Steve is alive and well in the hearts of those with clear sight.

I could go on with more platitudes, but I have articles to read and plans to make for a festive night.

Who is Slappy?
  • Reply 10 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Just about everyone I know that owns an Android device has nothing but hatred for them. Pick a reason. Horrible build quality, sluggish OS, battery life, breaks after 6 months, the list goes on. They are all waiting to qualify for a phone upgrade so they can move to an iPhone. That's the reality.

And yet the Android shills will inevitably spin this story to make it sound like a non-event. Shame on them in accepting such low standards.

I wonder what the repair cost must be like, I assume the crap has warranties! That can't be helping!
  • Reply 11 of 73
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

The time of poets is upon us and Apple is its leader.

There is justice in these times of lies and prognostic failures.

Steve is alive and well in the hearts of those with clear sight.

I could go on with more platitudes, but I have articles to read and plans to make for a festive night.

Who is Slappy?

Slappy = Android Fanboy

He is the same with

Apple ][ = Apple Fanboy
  • Reply 12 of 73
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    "iOS, you look at phones, tablets, the iPod touch, we've sold over 350 million iOS devices," Cook said. "Over 62 million of those were done in the last quarter alone."

Yep and according to this article...production of the iPhone 5 is underway......

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/25/...summer-launch/
  • Reply 13 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Slappy = Android Fanboy

He is the same with

Apple ][ = Apple Fanboy

Slappy is, at the very least, civil.
  • Reply 14 of 73
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Slappy = Android Fanboy

He is the same with

Apple ][ = Apple Fanboy

uuuuh! (Cheech & Chong grunt)

Apple ][ good

Slappy bad

All clear. Maybe.
  • Reply 15 of 73
    It's no fun when slapppy doesn't come to participate in these discussions
  • Reply 16 of 73
    Quote:

I doubt Google is lying about activation numbers, but I have to wonder how many of those activations (presumed sales) are for actual new users?

Just judging from the attitudes seen across discussion forums on the Internet, it would seem there is a significant number of Android fans willing to buy new Android phones before their contract is up just to have the latest and greatest. Meanwhile, my 3-and-a-half year old iPhone3G is still doing its thing just as well as it has ever done. Still no pressing need to replace it. I suspect Android users are buying new, replacement phones more frequently than iPhone users, thus the outpacing in terms of activations. I don't put a lot of weight in Andy Rubin's tweets. If he wants to start showing us user base figures and growth there, then I'm interested. Activations is a weird metric to brag about and I would not assume high activations means equally high numbers of new users.
  • Reply 17 of 73
    Guys, what do you think will happen when iPhone 4 becomes free on contract on all carriers?

It's going to be crazy!
  • Reply 18 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why is there a green trashcan in the "O"?
  • Reply 19 of 73
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

...[/URL]

I'm slightly surprised he didn't mention that Apple TV is also an iOS device which also numbers in the millions and with the lower price might eventually have even higher volume. My guess is that Apple is holding off until there is an app store for Apple TV.
  • Reply 20 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kriskkalu View Post

Guys, what do you think will happen when iPhone 4 becomes free on contract on all carriers?

It's going to be crazy!

That will be this year, when iPhone 6 drops. Yes, it will be crazy indeed.