2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clefmeister View Post

"Apple's filing also notes that the mail half of a data and power cable"

I'm pretty sure you mean "male half." As in, the opposite of "female."

Do you really want to have to explain to them the concept of male and female?
  • Reply 22 of 38
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

It's a great idea, but Apple should also look into creating a replacement for the RJ-45 connector now used for Ethernet. It's large, ugly and clumsy to connect or disconnect. It hasn't been upgraded in at least thirty years and even a casual glance will tell you it was designed in the era of desktop computers to be hard for anyone but IP staff to disconnect.

Hard for anyone but IT staff to disconnect? Really? Push down the tab and pull. It's a variant of the RJ-11 which every consumer corded phone has used for decades. I know consumers can be dumb at times, but that's a pretty low bar.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I haven't looked since last summer, but I haven't seen any announcements of anything I like either. I may have missed some stuff and I may have been overly sweeping in my statements.

On the other hand even if there are a couple of solutions (like the Sony DR-BT50), that work as I described, I would have thought that there would be dozens of such solutions to chose from by now.

Aesthetics are a problem for me also. If I'm going to walk around with a set of headphones on they have to be attractive, match my outfits etc. also (shallow I know, but true).

I don't know why they are so hard to find, but Google's shopping results seem to show a good variety. One problem being a given store might stock two or three, if you're lucky enough to find a store that stocked any of them.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Quote:

It's a great idea, but Apple should also look into creating a replacement for the RJ-45 connector now used for Ethernet....A quick and easy to connect Ethernet connector would be a big plus.

Don't count on it. I suspect that the only thing you'll get in that regard is a Thunderbolt dock that has an Ethernet port on it.

What Apple REALLY needs is an inexpensive Thunderbolt dock ($99 or less) with EN, FW, USB, DP, and audio that connects to a notebook via a custom MagSafe power cord.

Set your notebook down, pop on the power cord. Done.

For $199, the dock could also contain a SuperDrive. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the SuperDock!
  • Reply 24 of 38
    Quote:

It's a great idea, but Apple should also look into creating a replacement for the RJ-45 connector now used for Ethernet. It's large, ugly and clumsy to connect or disconnect. It hasn't been upgraded in at least thirty years and even a casual glance will tell you it was designed in the era of desktop computers to be hard for anyone but IP staff to disconnect.

It was designed for use in a data center. If they disconnected too easily, servers would frequently experience outages from somebody or something brushing against the cable. For home use, use Wifi instead then.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    Quote:

True, but there care no good bluetooth headphone solutions for music, only for talking on the phone.

You either have to deal with mono and/or poor quality sound, or you have to connect a giant dongle to the phone (and even then deal with a sub par headphone connecting to it).

I will never understand how we have had the iPhone so long with built in blue-tooth and yet still there is no good quality wireless solution for sound. It seems like a natural to me but I guess there just isn't a market for it. I was assuming in 2008 that it was just around the corner but here we are years later and still nothing.

I bought a Soundfreaq table radio with bluetooth last year, from target discounted to $99. it uses bluetooth for sound and remote control, from both my iphone and ipad. A really great and functional tabletop stereo.

But I am still waiting for a nice bluetooth headphone. Best I had was a small clip-on bluetooth (with microphone) that allowed any headphone set to be plugged in. Was great for a while but the rechargeable battery failed.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clefmeister View Post

"Apple's filing also notes that the mail half of a data and power cable"

I'm pretty sure you mean "male half." As in, the opposite of "female."

Siri, begin dictation...
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Prediction: future AppleInsider headline reads, "Apple becomes world's largest buyer of magnets"
  • Reply 28 of 38
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    I can't wait for a new, magnetic data/power connector. I've been desiring this for years. I hate those headphone jacks, even though Apple's is the tightest I've seen.

The 30-pin connector is inelegant and stands out like a sore thumb on my beautiful Bose Zeppelin speakers. Plus it's hard to dock.

Friction is bad. Sealed and magnetic is good.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    MagSafe connector on iPhone "5" (or whatever the 2012 model will be called) was one of two items on my wish list for the new device. And it could happen this year. The patent was filed last July, so Apple has had plenty of time to refine the design.

My other wish list item for this year's iPhone is a slightly more rounded enclosure. Maybe a metal back like the iPod touch, plus curved edges on the touchscreen. Not sure if that's possible while maintaining chip-resistance though. Just getting a little tired of the sharp edges (and the glass back.)
  • Reply 30 of 38
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    I'm with you on rounding the iPhone out a bit. I'd also like some innovative coating or knurling around the rim that gave it a satisfying grip.

Back in the day when I lifted weights, we had this one expensive bar that had awesome knurling. It had such a satisfying grip that made other bars seem like grabbing glass.

Another product that comes to my mind is my Global cleaver. Global knives are well loved partly because they feel like they have a rubber grip. But it's just an innovative pattern etched into the steel that makes them feel so wonderful.

I bought Apple's rubber bumper for my iPhone but it's ugly.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I think it would be better if they could get wireless audio instead. Say they used something like the tech in the following mouse:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/18/27...-minute-charge

Just plug the headphones into the iPhone for a few minutes to be able to use them for even a couple of hours continuously without wires at all and transmit via apt-X bluetooth for noise-free, high quality audio.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

Don't count on it. I suspect that the only thing you'll get in that regard is a Thunderbolt dock that has an Ethernet port on it.

What Apple REALLY needs is an inexpensive Thunderbolt dock ($99 or less) with EN, FW, USB, DP, and audio that connects to a notebook via a custom MagSafe power cord.

extending that, the inexpensive thunderbolt cable will be optical (opto-isolation no conductors needed to assist retaining a watertight seal) along with mag-safe. power supplied through a mag-safe magnetic inducting interface, or even by placing the device in a charging field again no way for moisture to impede operation, and we are several steps further down the path to "the perfect wired connection"
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

... What Apple REALLY needs is an inexpensive Thunderbolt dock ($99 or less) with EN, FW, USB, DP, and audio that connects to a notebook via a custom MagSafe power cord.

Set your notebook down, pop on the power cord. Done. ...

This is almost an exact description of the Apple Cinema display (that you can already get) with the exception of the power being separate from everything else.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Keep in mind that there are numerous situations where wireless simply won't work. High-density environments, electrically noisy environments, and fields such as banking, medicine and lawyer, where security is critical. A quick and easy to connect Ethernet connector would be a big plus.

You're basically stuck with it to some degree. It could take years to test and replace that amount of infrastructure in a high security environment. I think Apple sees their market as people who run on wireless connections past the router.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Quote:

This is almost an exact description of the Apple Cinema display (that you can already get) with the exception of the power being separate from everything else.

except the inexpensive bit, unfortunately it still is the only way i can get a quality second gigabit ethernet port on the macmini server with R6 pegasus raid presently though, so at least it isn't vapourware.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    envirogenvirog Posts: 188member
    What a remarkable way to address these areas. On the headphone front I'm very much ready for wireless, I'm done with cables!
  • Reply 37 of 38
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    The current headphones have saved my iPhone from dropping numerous times. If it falls I can catch the cord. My phone may have a lot more dings in it if it had a MagSafe headphone jack
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Can't wait for sealed phones to prevent water damage. I've lost one in the rain and one in the toilet yuck! I've been using iLoc cases in the meantime. Two cases for a buck at http://www.ilocstore.com