Steve Jobs asked Google to stop poaching Apple workers

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

You want the benefits of a free enterprise system? Then you have to live with its drawbacks as well. The US did not become the center of the high tech industry because they shut out all those lean and hungry engineers from overseas.

Absolutely agree with that. Many of my best colleagues were born and/or educated abroad. Nice for them. And nice for the company to be able to hire globally.

But I do find this kind of behavior -- in one of the few wealthiest industries Big Tech -- egregious. This is why I wouldn't work in tech -- I now work in banking. At least we pay our talent.
  • Reply 42 of 45
    Its pretty standard for ALL companies to ask that other companies not to poach their talent when they do co-development with each other. Its not about screwing the employee, its about it being BS for Google to make agreements to work on development projects with Apple and then turn around and target the same Apple employees they were working with and turn around and compete with Apple. I have a ton of friends who worked with the likes of Intel, Microsoft, and AMD on co-development projects.....they were perfectly free to go work for those companies if they wanted to, many of them did.
  • Reply 43 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Definitely not okay if true. If another software company offered me a larger salary and better benefits to join them instead, I would use that to:

1. Leverage to bump my salary and benefits to stay at my current company;

2. Leave if I respect the other company and believe I will have a brighter future with them.

Agreed. Not to mention some unnamed guy lost his job to Jobs' unwillingness to let free market operate on jobs. Shocking.

Now, let's talk about the NYT piece on Foxconn's employees again
  • Reply 44 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

"terminated within the hour"

That sounds like something in a movie. In the real world, you wouldn't fire someone so hastily unless egregious behaviour has already been documented, which does not sound like the case here. I think this is either an exaggeration or pure fabrication on someone's part.

If the CEO/President wants you gone, I would guess normal discipline procedures could be bypassed. Most non-union employees are "at-will" so there is a legal right for a company to stop employment for any reason. Now, he might have an argument for claiming unemployment given the circumstances.
  • Reply 45 of 45
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

if apple used just one of its hundred billions to pay out a one-time employee bonus, then every one of their 60,400 perm employees could have a roughly $16,000.00 payday.

(Deleted; I misread your comment.)