10.7.2 Mission Control app and icon DISAPPEAR!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
The icon was first in the dock as a translucent question mark, so I dragged it off and went to applications folder to bring it back but the app in question is completely mission. I verified the disk and it appears to be OK, and I also verified and repaired permission.

There was a message about something to do with Applications something_something differ. I completed the permission repair and return to from desktop from recovery partition to no good results.

Help.....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    I have been using 10.7.2 extensively on my iMac and Macbook Pro and haven't faced this issue. Try reinstalling 10.7.2 with a combo update?
  • Reply 2 of 28
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    How do I reinstall it when it's already installed?
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

How do I reinstall it when it's already installed?

download and run the combo installer.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagicFingers View Post

download and run the combo installer.

The 10.7.2 combo installer won't work on an installation of 10.7.2?
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The 10.7.2 combo installer won't work on an installation of 10.7.2…

Strangely enough I tired it and it seemed to install fine. It changed one thing, the Mission Control app came back. The bad news? It's still corrupted.

I dragged it back onto the dock myself.

• Reply 6 of 28
    Quote:

The 10.7.2 combo installer won't work on an installation of 10.7.2?

i have always been able to re-run the installer for the system I have. Usually one can't go in reverse though.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    you may have to do a recovery install. I think you can do that and have the install keep your user accounts and files.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagicFingers View Post

you may have to do a recovery install. I think you can do that and have the install keep your user accounts and files.

How do I do that on Lion though? I bought Lion on the Mac App Store.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Anyone?
  • Reply 10 of 28
    It's a shame I can't get more help on this one.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

It's a shame I can't get more help on this one.

Yeah, it's pretty bad but hey, it's a recession. Help is scarce. Potatoes on the other hand...

You could always extract the app from the combo disk image using a nifty little app called Pacifist:

http://www.charlessoft.com/
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Yeah, it's pretty bad but hey, it's a recession. Help is scarce. Potatoes on the other hand...

You could always extract the app from the combo disk image using a nifty little app called Pacifist:

My gosh, I'm an idiot. Why didn't I think of that?! I have the darn thing sitting on my computer, too?

Yes, this is exactly what you do. Should work perfectly.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Quote:

I thought Pacifist might work, but assumed it wasn't Lion compatible and I didn't know it it was safe. Pacifist is now a plastic box.
  • Reply 14 of 28

Quote:

You can't open the application mission control because it may be damaged or incomplete.

The funny thing is; the Mission Control key works. This is mega-puzzling and quite annoying.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

The funny thing is; the Mission Control key works. This is mega-puzzling and quite annoying.

Mission Control and Launchpad seem to be apps that toggle the behaviour of the Dock so the hotkeys should be able to address the Dock process directly and do the same thing. If you erased Launchpad and Mission Control, the functionality should still exist in the Dock app.

If you right-click the Mission Control app you extracted and go to Contents/MacOS, can you double-click on the Mission Control file? It should open a terminal window and toggle Mission Control.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:

If you right-click the Mission Control app you extracted and go to Contents/MacOS, can you double-click on the Mission Control file? It should open a terminal window and toggle Mission Control.

• Reply 17 of 28
    Hey, just update to 10.7.3. That should fix it!
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Quote:

Hey, just update to 10.7.3. That should fix it!

Didn't fix it.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    I just fixed the problem, I had same thing happen to me seemed to happen when i updated my mac.

What i did is used Pacifist which was mentioned in previous posts (it supports lion).

1.On the main window of Pacifist Select Open Apple Installers and choose "OS Install - Mac OS X and standard applications (Mac OS X Install ESD). "I had my Lion OS on Dvd inserted"

2.Go in Contents of EssentialSystemSoftware/Contents of EssentialSystemsSoftwareGroup/Contents of Essentials/Applications and you will see Mission Control.app (Or just search for Mission control)

3.Select Mission Control.app and press Extract To (i just put in my documents)

4.Then when on the New Mission Control.app and right click for show package contents and copy the Contents folder and paste inside the Damaged Mission Control app and it will ask you to replace the folders so yes and continue, after that mine worked fine i just did the killall Dock to get the icon back on properly.

Now everything fine just deleted the MissionControl.app in my documents after it was done.

Hope that helps
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Azza2988 View Post

I just fixed the problem, I had same thing happen to me seemed to happen when i updated my mac.

What i did is used Pacifist which was mentioned in previous posts (it supports lion).

1.On the main window of Pacifist Select Open Apple Installers and choose "OS Install - Mac OS X and standard applications (Mac OS X Install ESD). "I had my Lion OS on Dvd inserted"

2.Go in Contents of EssentialSystemSoftware/Contents of EssentialSystemsSoftwareGroup/Contents of Essentials/Applications and you will see Mission Control.app (Or just search for Mission control)

3.Select Mission Control.app and press Extract To (i just put in my documents)

4.Then when on the New Mission Control.app and right click for show package contents and copy the Contents folder and paste inside the Damaged Mission Control app and it will ask you to replace the folders so yes and continue, after that mine worked fine i just did the killall Dock to get the icon back on properly.

Now everything fine just deleted the MissionControl.app in my documents after it was done.

Hope that helps

I didn't every you just said step by step. That didn't work either

BTW, does anyone know why the icons for the apps in the Applications folder in Pacifist are like this?