Apple appeals Chinese iPad trademark rejection

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Landcruiser View Post

They (Chinese) freely steal everything they can from everyone else. All those jobs to build iPads are in China (the irony). What a bunch of self righteous idiots they are over there in China. I'm so tired of those cheats. Sorry all, just venting.

You can't fix Stupid (China).

Huh, yea! Sounds like you ought to lay yourself on a slab of ice for a while.

I can't see why this post enrages you so much. It's a trade mark registered in china, and a company trying to exploit this. Don't tell me this happens only in china and never in US or elsewhere.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

And then the HK scalpers would pick up the game.

From what I have heard the major issue is that IP/Apple were told they were buying the global rights. not 'all the rights we have which is everywhere but China', thus they acted in good faith and this game of 'that country belongs to a branch of the company' should be void.

I can see where Apple wants to push this issue. The last thing they need is some knockoff that can legally call itself an iPad diminishing their rep. They would probably will be willing to buy the trademark but rumor has it the company is refusing to discuss such an issue. So the courts are really the only way they can try to get that to change.

Lawyers shouldn't negotiate in good faith. They should be reading chapter and verse the agreement. Someone cocked it up. As to whom, I have no idea.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

Lawyers shouldn't negotiate in good faith. They should be reading chapter and verse the agreement. Someone cocked it up. As to whom, I have no idea.

Exactly. It's a relatively simply legal matter. Either the Taiwan subsidiary had the rights to sell the name to Apple or they didn't. If they did, then the purchase was legitimate and the Chinese parent company should lose. If they didn't, Apple messed up and has no rights to the name in the PRC (although, presumably, they do have the rights in Taiwan).

No real need to get into all the name calling that's going on, nor does it have anything to do with any claimed cultural propensity to theft.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kaipher View Post

Any system that demands corruption from its clients deserves to be flogged. If China blocks the iPad, they should suffer without it.

/agree

Though iPads will still make their way in via Hong Kong et.al. It just means that they have to import. I'm sure they would soon see the light. And the company holding out the iPad trademark for a big payday? Just say no.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    dbtincdbtinc Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

China has a bigger stick.

not really - the borrower always has the advantage in that the borrower got the money and the lender hopes for repayment. The chinese may do us all a favor if they stopped buying our debt anyway.