667 DVI or PC Laptop, need advice

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi guys, I already wrote a similar message in other forums but I need to get serious advice.

I am a student (college), I need a laptop that will last AT LEAST 3 years. I've been dreaming and looking the PowerBook for a long time now. The DVI seems to be a good revision but I don't know why I have the fear that Apple will make me regret it by releasing anoter powerbook in the next 4-5 months that will basicly ruin my investisment. I have a good deal here for a 667 DVI for 3600$ CAN which is about 2250 USD$. I got a Apple care for about 75$ too. But I've been looking for a PC Laptop too. Here is what I found:

Toshiba Satellite 5100, P4-M 1.7ghz, 512MB DDR, 64mb Geforce 2 440 DDR, 40gb, 15.1inch 1600x1200 screen, Combo drive, nice little remote for DVD etc... for the same price of the TiBook. But I don't get a 3 year warranty at that price.

I also found the Dell Dimension 8200 (1.6ghz P4-M, 256Mb DDR, Combo drive, 15.1inch (1440xSomething), 30gb, Nvidia Geforce 2 Go 32mb DDR. For 2800$ CAN ( 1,768.96 USD). That includes a 3 year ON SITE CompleteCare plan (24hr service).

Here are my needs : A durable laptop that I can run a unix on it, browse, mp3s, DVD but mainly UNIX stuff. I will also run Office and a couple of Mathematics programs. My main interest in the TiBook is the OS. I need PCMCIA so no iBook for me.

I know that I am writing this in an Apple forum but please use your good judgement.

I am buying in a week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    ok, let's narrow things down a bit.

first, you're missing the two most important specs on a laptop.

what's the respective weight and battery life for each machine.

weight always matter because anything over 5.5 - 6.0 lbs. gets damn heavy in a hurry.

battery life matters because you never know when you're going to need to use your machine for an extended period without a power outlet.

now comes the screen res. not sure how good your eyes are, but 1,600x1,200 is just too damn high for me to see nicely. since the machine is an LCD, dropping the res. down makes them look crappy/fuzzy.

find the machine with the most comfortable, natural res.

looks like the toshiba is a hair over 7 lbs., the dell looks like a desktop, so that's a totally different category.

personally? i'd go with the mac. especially if you're looking to do a lot of Unix work. ever try installing Linux on a laptop? good friggin' luck. read some message boards about it before you do. IIRC, most of the time half the hardware doesn't work.

with the Mac Unix is what the OS is based on. nothing weird or funky gonna happen when you work in Unix on your Mac.

plus it looks a damn site better, weighs less and has a better battery life.

the TiBook is a tight machine. no brainer in my book.

but then again i might be a bit biased.

-alcimedes

btw, i'm a longtime (and still) pc user, so i'm not a total mac zealot. it's just that i work on pc's all day long, i like a machine that just keeps working, w/o my working my ass off to keep it up and running.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    babarbabar Posts: 28member
    I looked at a working Satellite 5100 at 1600x1200 and it was damn fine.

For the battery life, it's not THAT important for me.. i will mostly be plug in an outlet.. but the life on the TOshiba really sucks, toshiba says 1:30.. so imagine in real life ... i Think 1h max .. lol that's ridiculous.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    josephgjosephg Posts: 111member
    My Wallstreet 266 lasted me 3.5 years through architecture school till I got...

...my 667 TiBook (non-DVI). I got it refurbished for $2450 in February, so I envy a new DVI for $2250. Regardless, I can tell you I am completely happy with it, and wouldn't trade it for a PC.

This is largely because of the OS, but the TiBook also feels solid--not rugged, but precisely built. I'd rather have that than a creaky plastic notebook.

I did have a defective screen, but the factory warrantee took care of that. Definitely get Applecare...I'd get a warrantee for any laptop...but you knew that already.

The only feature on the PC side that I envy is a higher resolution screen, and that's cuz I do graphics work and I love my palettes. But extended desktop serves my needs there, and the DVIs have higher resolution than mine.

So I vote for the Ti, as long as it can run the specific programs you want it too. The Dell is stiff competition, but you're giving up a smooth OS and equally tight industrial design.

Happy purchasing!

By the way--where can you get Applecare for $75? I still need to get mine before the warrantee expires.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    That's a special University deal they have for students only.. and it's in Canada... I doubt you can get it.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    I would go for the TiBook. I have had to decide whether to get the mac or the pc and i have decided on the mac. I love the powerbook. It's nothing but impressive. The PCs have TONS of power, but I think a lot of pc companies cut edges on producing their computers in order to get the edge over their competiters. Then they throw huge numbers at the consumer. So if you are going on numbers alone, go with the pc (I would go with dell, I think Toshiba sucks). If you are going for a great stable OS, awesome display, and good enough power for most users, go with the legwarming TiBook!
  • Reply 6 of 10
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Try joining Apple Student Developers for $99. You get a one time discount from the Apple Store and it's something like 20% off. The 667 DVI is $1999 with the discount.

<a href="http://developer.apple.com/students/"; target="_blank">here</a> is some info on the Student Developer Program and <a href="http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ADC?qprm=38839"; target="_blank">here</a> is the Apple Store with the discounted prices.

Remember that your discount is a one time deal, but the Student developer subscription last a whole year. You can get other software discounts, and you can get free OS updates on CD, which is usefull for Jaguar if you want your TiBook before Jaguar is released ( ie you don't have to pay 129 for it and it's LEGAL ). <a href="http://developer.apple.com/students/discount.html"; target="_blank">here</a> is a list of benefits of joining the program. Honestly you'll save yourself some dough on the initial purchase plus on OS updates for the next year. That alone is worth it.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Is this available to CAnada students?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    I don't know. I think so, but you'd have to ask them. Drop a line to apple on it, it's worth at least inquiring.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    I will call them tomorrow morning... man that would be an awesome deal!!! here it will be a 800$ rebate from Retail.

And I would be an ADC member
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Ok ... I found it , ADC Student discount is available to canada, here is the pricelist : <a href="http://www.emj.ca/apple/adc_hw_purchase.html"; target="_blank">http://www.emj.ca/apple/adc_hw_purchase.html</a>;

the problem is that I can't open the damn file, even with Stuffit for PC ( I dont have Mac (yet)

Can somebody download the full price list and post it here or send it to me by email : [email protected] ? Thanks.