Very Best Video Card?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
What is the best Video card out there? I'v heard of nForce and GeForce 4, and even ATI 9700. But is there still a card which is better than all of these popular cards?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    [quote]Originally posted by Master:

<strong>What is the best Video card out there? I'v heard of nForce and GeForce 4, and even ATI 9700. But is there still a card which is better than all of these popular cards?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think nForce/nForce2 is a chipset from nVidia. GeForce 4 Titanium is probably the best video card currently available for the Mac. The ATI 9700 is supposed to kick the snot everythig out there, but isn't released yet. Next month I think.

[ 07-24-2002: Message edited by: Tulkas ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 5
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    sorry, double post

[ 07-24-2002: Message edited by: Tulkas ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 5
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    nForce is indeed a motherboard chipset that integrates a geforce2 chip into the motherboard and controls proc/mem/videochip interaction (it is not a video card, it is a mobo with good on-board video). GeForce 4 is the highest nVidia card out for Macs ( and PCs. Personally I don't know the differences between the ATI and nVidias first hand. I used to have a ATI Rage Pro but it had dookie for drivers, but this was years ago. ATI should have improved at least to 'high-class sh!t' if not better drivers. From what i have heard though, the GeForce has more raw power, but the ATI renders prettier. Either test them yourself or believe other people is all you can do.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    The ATI Radeon 9700 is supposed to be the best that's currently been reviewed/tested. If you go to PC enthusiast sites like Anandtech and Tom's Hardware, I believe their benchmarks show the 9700 to be much faster than the current NVidia

Geforce4 Ti cards. The Matrox Parhelia is a pretty cool card for multiple displays, but it's PC only as far as I know, and not the absolute best performer.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    The new Matrox didn't have drivers yet, the last I heard. It is cool though, in that it support triple monitor display.