New photos hint Apple may still have plans for new iPod nano with camera

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014

A new set of photos published this week may hint that Apple is still exploring the possibility of adding a digital camera to a new iPod nano that largely maintains its diminutive clip-on form factor.

The , which first appeared on the website apple.hs and were republished by Apple.pro when that site fell offline, show an iPod nano with a rear-mounted iPhone-style camera peering through a circular recess in its clip.

It appears from the photos as though a portion of the camera module sits outside the rear of the nano's casing, wedged between its backside and the clip, which would provide Apple with necessary real-estate to equip the player with a camera without compromising its tiny footprint.

Evidence that Apple has been exploring the possibility of returning camera functionality to iPod nano isn't new and dates back to last April when the same publication published photos of a prototype iPod nano casing with space reserved for rear-mounted camera but no clip.

A similar photo appeared a month later, appearing to show a completely assembled version of the nano with with what was claimed to be a 1.3-megapixel camera module, leading to speculation that Apple introduce such a model last fall at its annual music and media event.

Instead, Apple in October chose to introduce no changes to the existing iPod nano's hardware design, but equipped the players with new software and expanded fitness features while dropping the price of the 8GB model by $20 to $129 and the 16GB model by $30 to $149.

While its unclear if the latest photos are indicative of plans by Apple to bring such a device to market this year or simply represent the remains of an abandoned project, patent filings from the company published as recently as this past November on a new nano speaker design included diagrams showing the same circular recess in the nano's clip seen in this weeks photos.

A camera on the iPod nano wouldn't be a completely new concept. A couple of years ago, Apple introduced an elongated 5th-generation iPod nano with a low-resolution video camera but later removed the feature when it redesigned player with its current form.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    I don't care about a camera on my Nano. I think I'd fall into the majority of people who use a Nano primarily for Some sort of exercising. How about Apple focusing on more Nike+ stuff instead of deciding what to do with their unused supply of iPhone 3G cameras (I know it's a 2MP but these are just rumors anyway)?

How about GPS? Or 3G OTA syncing for run tracking? Speaker could work but would never be loud enough. and Bluetooth could be cool to hook up for bike rides.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    Craziness. What's the point? Everyone uses these as watches. Even Apple acknowledged that. You can't use a camcorder when you're using it like that, much less NORMALLY. How would you even hold it?

I just want Bluetooth 4.0 and the ability to act as a notification screen. Granted, I already have one of the current ones and won't be upgrading, but to see that be available to others would be neat.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

I don't care about a camera on my Nano. I think I'd fall into the majority of people who use a Nano primarily for Some sort of exercising. How about Apple focusing on more Nike+ stuff instead of deciding what to do with their unused supply of iPhone 3G cameras (I know it's a 2MP but these are just rumors anyway)?

How about GPS? Or 3G OTA syncing for run tracking? Speaker could work but would never be loud enough. and Bluetooth could be cool to hook up for bike rides.

Agreed GPS would be better then a camera, but battery concerns maybe the prevent that feature
  • Reply 4 of 38
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    My 5th gen nanos with video have been insanely useful. They've flown on kites at 100 ft., been mounted on bumpers, put on poles to look at bees' nests and high-up cactus flowers, and I have plans for more mounting schemes than I have time for. They still record for 1 1/2 hours after two years of more or less steady use, maybe a few times a week. Fantastic devices, with the proviso that the viewing screen be only so big. The iPhone and the touch are about right.

A wearable, square version would be far more useful. Easier to mount, so I hope this one is true. Been waitin' for it.

Apple knows we're headed toward wearable from portable.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

My 5th gen nanos with video have been insanely useful. They've flown on kites at 100 ft...

So easy to strap two or three on the body of a rocket - light - and VERY durable
  • Reply 6 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Craziness. What's the point? Everyone uses these as watches. Even Apple acknowledged that. You can't use a camcorder when you're using it like that, much less NORMALLY. How would you even hold it?

Easy to visualize the right sort of wristband, probably already in the works if this is true. The wrist makes a good steady cam as well.

But more useful mounted elsewhere, you're right about that.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

So easy to strap two or three on the body of a rocket - light - and VERY durable

Hadn't got that far, as I'm more of a blimp kind of guy. Durable for sure.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Evidence that Apple has been exploring the possibility of returning camera functionality to iPod nano isn't new and dates back to last April when the same publication published photos of a prototype iPod nano casing with space reserved for rear-mounted camera but no clip.

So they were wrong last year- and now they're showing the same pictures this year? Ok....

I'm indifferent to a speaker or a camera (moreso the camera). If either are there- cool. But if not, thats fine too.

Just give me my nano I can use as a watch, and have it feed notifications via Bluetooth to it, access certain apps (pandora, tunein radio, etc.) via bluetooth and improve battery life, and I'll buy it day one. Until then, it just plays music. My phone does that (and running- a $10 arm band is better than a $129 nano).
  • Reply 9 of 38
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    I'd rather have the Nano turn into a SmartWatch with wireless headphones like this from Sony... http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/prod...#view=overview
  • Reply 10 of 38
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    what's even more amazing is the diagram shows a speaker in the clip part. that's crazy. if apple can pull all these features off.....better than bread
  • Reply 11 of 38
    I call BS on this. Many reasons - camera on clip would be useless, whether clipped to your pocket or used as a wristwatch. Also, is that an SD card slot? Definitely not an Apple product. I suspect this is a Chinese knock-off you'll get for $9 online.

My 2 cents.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rangerdavid View Post

Also, is that an SD card slot? Definitely not an Apple product. I suspect this is a Chinese knock-off you'll get for $9 online.

Have? you ever seen an iPod nano? That's a Dock Connector. We've seen old prototype parts with camcorder holes in them. It's not a knockoff.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    I'd like to see a camera on my earphones, magsafe charger, mouse, keyboard and of course my apple remote.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    Hmmm...

Replace kite with remote toy helicopter and you have a poor man's

surveillance camera.

Man, I think it's time for McGyver revival.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

My 5th gen nanos with video have been insanely useful. They've flown on kites at 100 ft., been mounted on bumpers, put on poles to look at bees' nests and high-up cactus flowers, and I have plans for more mounting schemes than I have time for. They still record for 1 1/2 hours after two years of more or less steady use, maybe a few times a week. Fantastic devices, with the proviso that the viewing screen be only so big. The iPhone and the touch are about right.

A wearable, square version would be far more useful. Easier to mount, so I hope this one is true. Been waitin' for it.

Apple knows we're headed toward wearable from portable.

• Reply 15 of 38
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Quote:

I call BS on this. ... Also, is that an SD card slot? Definitely not an Apple product. I suspect this is a Chinese knock-off you'll get for $9 online. My 2 cents.

Ah... been around Apple products much? That's the slot for the standard 30-pin dock connector.

Way to waste 2 cents...
  • Reply 16 of 38
    Quote:

Have? you ever seen an iPod nano? That's a Dock Connector. We've seen old prototype parts with camcorder holes in them. It's not a knockoff.

Ooops. You are correct. Still, I doubt the veracity of this.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    Quote:

Ooops. You are correct. Still, I doubt the veracity of this.

Yep, still could be a knock-off, or -up, way too soon to get excited. I've been burned before on this one.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    I know this only matters to very few, but after a couple of instances locally where joggers were killed by hit and run drivers, it would be nice to have some technology in the Nano that might capture a sudden jarring movement and transmit geo info and a picture to a preset address.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    Quote:

I just want Bluetooth 4.0 and the ability to act as a notification screen. Granted, I already have one of the current ones and won't be upgrading, but to see that be available to others would be neat.

Um ... James Bond wristwatch facetime?!?!

• Reply 20 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

Hmmm...

Replace kite with remote toy helicopter and you have a poor man's

surveillance camera.

Man, I think it's time for McGyver revival.

Been thinking about it. It weighs 35.7 grams or 1.26 oz.. A mount might weigh an ounce, or 28 grams. Nobody ever talks about total payload on those helis, yet. I'd rather not mess with a single camera, though, and set up a left and right for 3D. Might as well go for up to date, or the future. Total weight would be under four ounces.

Lemme know if you find a good one, would you?