Debug photos rumored to come from quad-core Apple iPad 3 with global LTE

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

A series of largely unverified photos published Wednesday claim to provide evidence that Apple's third-generation iPad will sport a quad-core processor and global 4G LTE connectivity options.

The photos published by BGR are said to show debug data from a development tool called iBoot taken by "a source claiming to be in possession of an iPad 3 prototype." The publication provided no further information on the source or the source's credibility.

Nevertheless, the debug info in the photos make reference to the same J1 and J2 (iPad3,1 and iPad3,2) code-names for the new iPad first reported by DigiTimes in November. However, the latest report claims these models are distinguished only by their wireless capabilities, with one sporting just WiFi and the other adding "embedded GSM/CDMA/LTE" for all global carriers.

DigiTimes had originally reported that the two code-names were references to two completely distinct iPads of different sizes and including different technologies.

Separately, the debug photos also make reference to a so-called A6 processor with quad-cores carrying model number S5L8945X. Apple's existing iPad 2 includes a dual-core A5 processor model S5L8940X while the original model included a single-core A4 chip with model number S5L8930X.

While BGR has a respectable track record predicting announcements tied to Apple's retail stores and iPhone carrier partners, the site's future looking Apple hardware predictions from alleged Apple sources have often fallen short of the mark.

For instance, last year alone the site reported that Apple was preparing to introduce iPhones and iPads that removed the home button. It also claimed that early 2011 MacBook Pros would feature larger trackpads and integrated Flash memory boot drives, and that Apple had seeded T-Mobile iPhone prototypes.

Those reports followed a mid-2010 claim from the publication that Apple was preparing for the imminent launch of its iTunes cloud service, which didn't actually materialize until well over a year later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    only thing that interests me is who is going to make the chip

samsung or tsmc
  • Reply 2 of 23
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    talk to me when it has been 100% vetted that these are legit photos from a prototype that is the final version in production or about to start production
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Oh please,

For one there is no standard on LTE frequency, let alone enough of a roll out worldwide to want this, theres what 5000 LTE frequencies now?

Also, the CMDA in the 4S is only used on Verizon/Sprint in the US, and not anywhere else on our planet,
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

talk to me when it has been 100% vetted that these are legit photos from a prototype that is the final version in production or about to start production

You mean launch day? I think Apple already has that covered...
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Fake project. Leak identified. Purge.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    jonoromjonorom Posts: 293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

samsung or tsmc

I thought the new Samsung fab in Texas was slated to make the A6.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Fake project. Leak identified. Purge.

When shall we start calling them BIR (Boy Idiot Report)?
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Nothing surprising...

It would be bigger rumor if they had evidence that the next iPad did NOT have a quad-core processor and LTE support. This is where the industry is moving and the next logical step for Apple.

Now if they had a rumor that it would have USB & Thunderbolt ports, that would be something.

Or a user replaceable battery...
  • Reply 9 of 23
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Hmm... photos of debug screen, but no photos of the iPad prototype itself? Uh-huh.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Therbo View Post

Oh please,

For one there is no standard on LTE frequency, let alone enough of a roll out worldwide to want this, theres what 5000 LTE frequencies now?

Also, the CMDA in the 4S is only used on Verizon/Sprint in the US, and not anywhere else on our planet,

There are different versions of CDMA in use in China - a market Apple would love to sell more iPhones and iPads to.

And yes, there are different frequencies that LTE can be transmitted on, but creating a communications chip that can transmit/receive on different frequencies is not hard, it is handling all the other parts of the protocol that are difficult - framing, error correction, compression, interfacing with antennas, call setup and tear down, etc.

A new iPad is the perfect platform for Apple to start rolling out LTE products.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The screens don't look hi-def, unless maybe it boots in to low res to start?
  • Reply 12 of 23
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The screens don't look hi-def, unless maybe it boots in to low res to start?

Those are pictures of a Mac OS X desktop which is, reportedly, running a development tool for iOS (could easily be faked in TextEdit). Not the iPad itself.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

Nothing surprising...

It would be bigger rumor if they had evidence that the next iPad did NOT have a quad-core processor and LTE support. This is where the industry is moving and the next logical step for Apple.

Now if they had a rumor that it would have USB & Thunderbolt ports, that would be something.

Or a user replaceable battery...

And we need quad-core. I mean, look - it goes to 11! That must be better, right?
  • Reply 14 of 23
    S5L8945X? Wouldn't that be more of an updated A5?

S5L8930X - A4

S5L8940X -A5

S5L8950X - would be A6???
  • Reply 15 of 23
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    update to iPad 3 with a quad core is meaningless if they still support iPad 1.

no different than the iPhone 3GS still being supported. the faster proc is not really a big deal.

LTE - 4G, keep it. these carriers with their pricing is a joke. so i can reach my download limit faster now... no thank you.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

samsung or tsmc

Well over a year ago it was rumored that Apple was using 80% of Samsungs chip making capacity, with the obvious surge in production numbers they likely are stressing Samsungs capacity. Plus there is the CYA aspect of having production capacity elsewhere on the planet.

The only wrinkle here is how Samsungs new Texas plant is filling the void. They may now have the capacity and geographic spread to make one vendor feasable. What is certain now is that Apple being the largest consumer of semiconductors in the world now will impact its supply chain. Vendors don't expand factories to keep up with Apple they build whole new facilities.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I hope they get retina displays before release...
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

S5L8945X? Wouldn't that be more of an updated A5?

S5L8930X - A4

S5L8940X -A5

S5L8950X - would be A6???

Good eye! And a good point. Assuming it's quad-core and you're right, it's probably based on the Cortex A9 CPU and SGX543MP GPU like the Apple A5. Which means next year is when there will be a new architecture.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

I hope they get retina displays before release...

These are screenshots of a Mac running OS X. These are NOT screenshots of an iPad.

• Reply 20 of 23
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Sick of all this BS.

Articles about a rumored product being confirmed by an undisclosed and unverified source.

Self appointed experts talking out of their ass about things they have absolutely no factual information on.