More reliable sources say no Apple event scheduled for February

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A well respected journalist is citing his sources Thursday in pouring cold water on rumors that Apple has scheduled any formal event for this month.

"This is not going to happen, according to my sources," wrote the Loop's Jim Dalrymple. "Apple will not hold an event in February, unusual or otherwise. That’s it."

Dalrymple was responding to claims published earlier in the day by the Japanese Apple blog Macotakara stating that Apple would hold a "strange" event in February ahead of a special event to launch the third-generation iPad in early March.

Over the last couple of years, Dalrymple has accurately debunked a number of rumors (1, 2, 3) pertaining to when Apple plans to hold its events and what they'll reveal.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Old saying in the press business "one piece of information = one news" ; "declaring the previous piece of information as false = another news" !
  • Reply 2 of 20
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    So it wasn't to be 'strange' news only 'unusual' now? That's news of a sort!
  • Reply 3 of 20
    I'm selling my iPad today. Could wait, but I hardly use it anymore. I need a retina display to make me imagine it's useful again. Until then, MBA like always.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Ugh, I'm jonesing. I've got the money and am just waiting on a refresh to buy an iMac. Am the only one to be disappointed because of my expectation for an announcement about the iMac? Answer: probably.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

I'm selling my iPad today. Could wait, but I hardly use it anymore. I need a retina display to make me imagine it's useful again.

• Reply 6 of 20
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

I'm selling my iPad today. Could wait, but I hardly use it anymore. I need a retina display to make me imagine it's useful again. Until then, MBA like always.

Probably a good idea, especially if iPad 2s are going to remain at a lower price. Most don't read AI etc. so you are ahead of the game ...
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Probably a good idea, especially if iPad 2s are going to remain at a lower price. Most don't read AI etc. so you are ahead of the game ...

Yeah, I've just sold iPad2 as well. Gonna have to go back to my iPad1 for a few weeks till iPad3 comes out!
  • Reply 8 of 20
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I just heard from my even more reliable source that Apple will hold an event in February. However, I have yet to heard from my even morer reliable source if this is correct.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Apple does has an event in February and I am invited.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    I am starting to question the value of AppleInsider. This is the second article today from the infamous rumor mill. However not even one article regarding all the issues that are being experienced by those who have installed Lion 10.7.3. What is the intention or purpose if AI. Fluff or relevant information.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

I am starting to question the value of AppleInsider. This is the second article today from the infamous rumor mill. However not even one article regarding all the issues that are being experienced by those who have installed Lion 10.7.3. What is the intention or purpose if AI. Fluff or relevant information.

I read the first two sentences of this post, but when I realized it wasn't about an iPhone 7 rumor I lost interest.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

I am starting to question the value of AppleInsider. This is the second article today from the infamous rumor mill.

Yes, it's a rumor site. That's what we do.

Quote:

However not even one article regarding all the issues that are being experienced by those who have installed Lion 10.7.3.

Because it's fewer than the number of people who "experienced" Antennagate.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    [QUOTE=Tallest Skil;2036773]Yes, it's a rumor site. That's what we do.

Fair enough. Oh by the way, there is a rumor that people are having issues with 10.7.3.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    They're trying to avoid iPad2's momentum from slowing like what iPhone4 did. Doesn't matter, any informed customer will not be buying iPad2 right now.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

They're trying to avoid iPad2's momentum from slowing like what iPhone4 did. Doesn't matter, any informed customer will not be buying iPad2 right now.

Fewer than 1% of their customers would be "informed" then. No one cares about the rumors. Even people who know about the next one and what it will potentially have will buy an iPad whenever they feel like it. Only the select few won't.

Now. Four months ago. The day before launch. It doesn't matter; only WE hold off our purchases. Only WE deny ourselves stuff because of the promise of something better.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    I sold my iPad 2 three hours ago, had 10 responses to the ad in one day, and sold it to the guy that sent me the first email. Still seems to be some demand.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Fewer than 1% of their customers would be "informed" then. No one cares about the rumors. Even people who know about the next one and what it will potentially have will buy an iPad whenever they feel like it. Only the select few won't.

Now. Four months ago. The day before launch. It doesn't matter; only WE hold off our purchases. Only WE deny ourselves stuff because of the promise of something better.

iPhone 4 sales figures for 2011 Q2-3 disagree with your assertion. There was a steep decline in sales between May and October, which only spiked slightly as people who needed a new phone immediately decided to pull the trigger and get a 4 after it became clear Apple wouldn't release an update until the fall.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Quote:

I sold my iPad 2 three hours ago, had 10 responses to the ad in one day, and sold it to the guy that sent me the first email. Still seems to be some demand.

How much did you sell it for? That may have had something to with the "demand."
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Perhaps an Apple SuperBowl ad will be the Feb event? Wait and see.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

Perhaps an Apple SuperBowl ad will be the Feb event? Wait and see.

Apple, probably not. Samsung? Apparently have something 'earth-shattering' or whatever.