Crashing I-Pads/or Kindles etc

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
General question. First I don't own any of the "flash memory"-type toys of today. I do have a Droid however. I am trying to make a smart choice. My primary purpose and use of the new toys of today is so that I can put in the trunk of my Harley electra glide classic. I travel extensively and often as a Patriot Guard Rider and would like to have a larger screen and more capability then what my Droid can offer. However, I know I can't put a traditional laptop on the bike because of the vibration, bumps, and such; however I don't know how these types of toys will do in that same environmental pradicament. I don't have a problem with my Droid except the SD card will skip and loose connection to music. When I plug in my GPS, using auxilary wiring to the speaker system the Droid automatically starts the SD music. Although frustrating, I put up with it because I need the GPS, I also like the music. I am considering getting one of the new toys and going to a "dumb" phone, so to speak and putting the monthly charge into the new toy. I go into a lot of back country towns which most likely would not have wifi capability so I need to be able to stay connected.

Now, with all that explained, I was concerned about the I-Pad or Kindles crashing on a motorcycle...hear of it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bigeasy View Post

General question. First I don't own any of the "flash memory"-type toys of today. I do have a Droid however. I am trying to make a smart choice. My primary purpose and use of the new toys of today is so that I can put in the trunk of my Harley electra glide classic. I travel extensively and often as a Patriot Guard Rider and would like to have a larger screen and more capability then what my Droid can offer. However, I know I can't put a traditional laptop on the bike because of the vibration, bumps, and such; however I don't know how these types of toys will do in that same environmental pradicament. I don't have a problem with my Droid except the SD card will skip and loose connection to music. When I plug in my GPS, using auxilary wiring to the speaker system the Droid automatically starts the SD music. Although frustrating, I put up with it because I need the GPS, I also like the music. I am considering getting one of the new toys and going to a "dumb" phone, so to speak and putting the monthly charge into the new toy. I go into a lot of back country towns which most likely would not have wifi capability so I need to be able to stay connected.

Now, with all that explained, I was concerned about the I-Pad or Kindles crashing on a motorcycle...hear of it?

Hmmm it really depends on what you want to pay. If you need a ruggedized tablet or "toy" as you put it, Motorolla makes one called the ET1. It can easily handle the road Hunter S. Thompson style. It will run you 1000 bucks which seems to be the theme for anything that can handle a 3 meter drop. Me personally I would get the Samsung Galaxy 7.7 tablet. It's perfect for taveling, gets great battery life, the GPS antenna is one of the best I've seen and it has 3G capabilities. Now that is just my suggestion and if you want a iPad that is also an excellent choice but I told you about the Galaxy do to you already owning a Android device, your Droid.

If you want LTE for your new "toy" , then you can't go wrong with a Motorolla Xoom from Verizon. They're built like tanks, fast, attractive and thin but a little on the heavy side.The Motorolla wifi version can be had for about 350 to 400 bucks but then you'll need your Droid to get on the internet.

There are many options, your best bet is just to read reviews, check out your local computer store and continue what you have been doing, asking questions in forums. I gave you my two cents, I think my options could easily handle your voyages and make you very happy but it's your decision.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    You don't have to pay a double premium for something that's "pre-ruggedized". Whatever you get, you can ruggedize it externally. there are cases for iPad that can fully support a ten foot drop. Vibration won't cause any issues for anything that has internal memory. Avoid anything that has an expansion card for the exact reason you're mentioning about your droid.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Thank you for your input. I will definately look into these. I need i-net capability while I am on the road. I do a lot of patriot guard missions and things get updated a lot while on the road. Being on a motorcycle, it stays in the trunk so viewing is not going to happen. Plus the GPS is a big deal.

That's the problem with the Droid, the screen and formats of programs aren't always compatible and it is very hard to see. Some programs don't expand, like FB, which is also where a lot of updates are.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I know my very young grandchildren (6 and under) have an I-pad with a serious looking cover for "drop" downs... lol........... so that is what I had planned to get to protect what ever I do end up with. Thank you for your input.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    tinman0tinman0 Posts: 168member
    Well, if a laptop doesn't survive the way you ride a bike - nothing will!

Think you just need to buy some decent protective cases for whatever you buy.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

The iPhone 4S and iPad 2 3G+WiFi should meet your needs.

My iPhone going back 3 models has always handled a lot of bumpiness in my pocket or in the car when attached to a phone holder. Because there is no SD card slot, and it's based on flash memory, there's no "skipping" or "crashing" related to movement.

You may want to research accessories specifically for using the iPhone with motorcycle helments, it's a huge area with many options and I believe satisfactory choices eg. Bluetooth for calls AND music.

As for the iPad, again, no movement-related issues whether you are not using it. Probably the Otterbox would be a good case when it's jiggling around in your bike but again it shouldn't crash, music shouldn't come on suddenly (you can lock the volume controls [mute]). The sleep button may be somewhat sensitive but again suitable cases or what not should eliminate any issues of the sleep button turning on or off.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Thank you for your input. I will definately look into these. I need i-net capability while I am on the road. I do a lot of patriot guard missions and things get updated a lot while on the road. Being on a motorcycle, it stays in the trunk so viewing is not going to happen. Plus the GPS is a big deal.

That's the problem with the Droid, the screen and formats of programs aren't always compatible and it is very hard to see. Some programs don't expand, like FB, which is also where a lot of updates are.

Again, iPhone 4S and iPad 3G+WiFi is probably going to meet your needs nicely. Between the two it sounds like you'll have access to almost everything you need. Assuming where you're travelling mostly has 3G and at least, worst case scenario, Edge.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I would also add that going the iPhone/iPad route gives you access to a ton of motorcycle specific accessories and software.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I would also add that going the iPhone/iPad route gives you access to a ton of motorcycle specific accessories and software.

Yeah, there are some intense debates and reviews of those kind of motorcycle accessories, as you would imagine all things bike-related.

Me? I'm just a dumb "cager". I put my iPhone on the phone-suction-cup-holder thing and connect my old iPod mini in disk mode to the USB socket in the radio-thingymajig.