Samsung Galaxy Note Super Bowl ad takes more jabs at Apple users

Comments

• Reply 221 of 349
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [Greg] View Post

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that "the next big thing is already here" is referring to a product that will be released in two weeks?

In the US
  • Reply 222 of 349
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Keda View Post

The focus of Samsung's commercial seems totally off. Their ads depict iPhone users who become envious of the Samsung phone and make a switch. So, the ads are clearly targeted at people who are considering or currently use an iPhone.

[...]

They better depict unicorns if they wanna make it more realistic!
  • Reply 223 of 349
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [Greg] View Post

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that "the next big thing is already here" is referring to a product that will be released in two weeks?

Yes.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy.../dp/B0061YRDX6
  • Reply 224 of 349
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    The Galaxy Note will outlast any phone out on the market in terms of battery life.
  • Reply 225 of 349
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

The Galaxy Note will outlast any phone out on the market in terms of battery life.

Of course it will. When you give absolutely no consideration to the size of your device, it's easy to make a battery large enough to last longer than any other.
  • Reply 226 of 349
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

It's funny, Sammy didn't have a shot of someone holding the phone to his/her head. That would have looked ridiculous. They should have made it just a tablet and not a phone.

One girl walked into my class the other day talking on one of these and I had to do a double take because it was half as big as her head and too huge for a girl to be holding. The way she was holding it was really awkward because instead of holding it in her palm and gripping with her fingers, she held it from the bottom with her four fingers supporting the back and her thumb gripping the front, sort of like how you would hold a small book up to read.
  • Reply 227 of 349
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Sorry but Samsung came out with voice recognition first, in both feature phone AND smartphone.

1) Samsung did not the first VoRec. They might have had it before Apple but that's not the same thing as being first.

2) Being first and being good are not the same thing. Apple's Siri is the first intelligent software assistant a that does a good job of integrating with the OS, apps, a server backend, 3rd-party systems, with VoRec (Nuance) and natural language UI (original Siri software). I'm not familiar with Samsung having all these things as well as Apple.
  • Reply 228 of 349
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

It has a stylus? Like my PalmPilot? How nostalgic!

Don't be juvenile. Have you actually read any of the previous posts?

The stylus is a multi-pressure point stylus for specific apps that come with the Note, or, it can be used in place of your finger in the other regular apps should you want to use it. At CES they had character and architectural artists using the stylus to do renderings of people and buildings, and they can get a large amount of brush strokes out of it, pressure points, etc... basically it's like a pen tablet for a computer, and the results were very good. It is not like a Palm Pilot.

The Note will appeal to a niche audience that have a specific need for something with a good ability to draw/note on the screen. Construction, Realty, Artists, etc. It's not going to be for everyone. If anything, the 5.3" screen and so-so battery life will cause people to shy away from it much more than the stylus, which once again, never even has to be used if you don't want it.

For the record, I know people who use bluetooth keyboard to enter texts on their iPhones when they're at home, too. OMG... bluetooth... how 2008!
  • Reply 229 of 349
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

In the US

Which is where the Super Bowl and this commercial were focused. So it could really help for the product to be, you know, AVAILABLE if they say it's here now. Most people are not going to import it from other countries just to use it.
  • Reply 230 of 349
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_Note

"Galaxy Notes will be available in the US February 19, 2012 from AT&T."

The amazon link you provided is for the unlocked version sold thru amazon by another group.

As an aside about the stylus, I could see a stylus being useful on the iPad for occasional specific uses, like turning knobs in synthesizers, but that is b/c some of them feel a bit unresponsive to the fingertip mashing down. There are people who make specialized styluses (stylii?) for that purpose, but it hardly needs to be included with every iPad. If it suits your specific needs, buy and use one. If not, no biggie. Can these apps on the Note that the stylus is included for be used w/a finger as well or are they stylus only?
  • Reply 231 of 349
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greg30127 View Post

...basically it's like a pen tablet for a computer...

But in your hand, so... a Palm Pilot, then.

Quote:

The Note will appeal to a niche audience that have a specific need for something with a good ability to draw/note on the screen. Construction, Realty, Artists, etc. It's not going to be for everyone.

Then maybe Samsung shouldn't have shown a commercial with EVERYONE having one. They probably should have shown architects, realtors, and artists using this monstrosity if that was their intended audience like you've said instead of every man on the street using it to circle people in photographs and write "Dude!" beside the circle as though we couldn't figure out the context of the image and its intended message on our own.

Quote:

For the record, I know people who use bluetooth keyboard to enter texts on their iPhones when they're at home, too. OMG... bluetooth... how 2008!

What does this have to do with anything?
  • Reply 232 of 349
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Whoops. Something strange happened here. It overwrote my original comment...

Anyway, the best line in the thing was, "Whoa, it has a pen?"

Steve Jobs was right. "Who wants a stylus?" No one. People want pens.

Your comment is an nothing more than a logical fallacy of Common Practice. You are simply incorrect. I would LOVE to have true stylus input using the equivalent of a Wacom stylus. Would I use it all the time? No. But I would use it for inputting Japanese kana and kanji as well as mathematical formulas. Don't forget using it to input written notes.

Of course all of those uses I mentioned above would require true handwriting recognition similar to what is found in Windows 7 and not found in iOS or OS X (the reason I still use Windows 7 alongside OS X).

People state that no one would use stylus input...that statement is based on either a lie or misinformation.
  • Reply 233 of 349
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

One girl walked into my class the other day talking on one of these and I had to do a double take because it was half as big as her head and too huge for a girl to be holding. The way she was holding it was really awkward because instead of holding it in her palm and gripping with her fingers, she held it from the bottom with her four fingers supporting the back and her thumb gripping the front, sort of like how you would hold a small book up to read.

The Note isn't available yet. She was most likely holding the Samsung Galaxy "Player". It's very similar looking to the Note, but it's about twice as thick as the Note is going to be.
  • Reply 234 of 349
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_Note

"Galaxy Notes will be available in the US February 19, 2012 from AT&T."

The amazon link you provided is for the unlocked version sold thru amazon by another group.

I know. It's here, AT&T backwardness notwithstanding. It's been available in Europe for months now, too.
  • Reply 235 of 349
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

People state that no one would use stylus input...that statement is based on either a lie or misinformation.

IT'S A PHONE. If people wanted styli, the second iPhone would have come with one. Every other phone on the planet would be shipping with one. If people wanted styli, people would actually be USING them, since they continue to exist for modern devices.

They don't. Wonder why.
  • Reply 236 of 349
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

You don't understand. A stylus is old tech, and the screen is too big and too small. Is that too hard to get?

Look - if a stylus was any good, Apple would have one. And if the screen size was any good, Apple would have one.

You can't argue with that logic.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

IT'S A PHONE. If people wanted styli, the second iPhone would have come with one. Every other phone on the planet would be shipping with one. If people wanted styli, people would actually be USING them, since they continue to exist for modern devices.

They don't. Wonder why.

Does it sting when your sincere comment is preempted by a Poe?

I like this "ZZZ I am", kind of reminds me of ConradJoe, who used to drive a good parody around here...
  • Reply 237 of 349
    The strange reaction to this phone is really odd.

Just because you don't need a stylus on a phone, doesn't mean there's no one out there who wouldn't like to have one, and it doesn't mean it's a stupid device to make available in a lineup. I personally know several people who use iPhones who almost never actually make voice calls on them, but instead simply use them for texting and apps... should I go up to them and say, "It's a PHONE!" (?).

I don't have a specific need for the Samsung Note. I won't be buying one. But I'm not going to trash it just because I don't need it. Others will want one or even need the specific features it has to offer. More power to them. Variety is good.
  • Reply 238 of 349
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

As someone who owns an iPhone 4S but doesn't harbor the late Steve Jobs' ill will toward Android (I bought a Nexus One in January 2010 and still have it), the Samsung ad fell flat to me. A stylus isn't that attractive. Plus, you don't tend to get new customers by insulting the very people you seek to attract.

I've heard comparisons to the Mac vs. PC commercials, but I disagree. The Mac vs. PC ads were comparing the two PRODUCTS, not customers. It was telling Windows CUSTOMERS that it was OK to like the Mac. The Samsung ads are essentially telling Apple customers that they are idiots, which doesn't tend to endear them to people. Rightly or wrongly, most people don't like being told they are fanboys or idiots.

I completely agree with this sentiment. If/when I ever decide to jump the Apple ship to another phone manufacturer, it will NOT be Samsung; in fact, I bought a blue-ray player last weekend and specifically avoided the Samsung model.
  • Reply 239 of 349
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greg30127 View Post

Just because you don't need a stylus on a phone, doesn't mean there's no one out there who wouldn't like to have one, and it doesn't mean it's a stupid device to make available in a lineup. I personally know several people who use iPhones who almost never actually make voice calls on them, but instead simply use them for texting and apps... should I go up to them and say, "It's a PHONE!" (?).

I don't have a specific need for the Samsung Note. I won't be buying one. But I'm not going to trash it just because I don't need it. Others will want one or even need the specific features it has to offer. More power to them. Variety is good.

I agree with your overall point but that first sentence (bolded) isn't a valid argument. Surely there are fringe cases for usages that would seem crazy if added. I do think there is a large market for a proper digitiser on a capacitance touchscreen.

Surely we'll hear a lot of people pooh-poohing Jobs and Apple if they add this to the upcoming iPad but this is something that wasn't even an option until recently and it still won't be the primary method for input, which is more inline with Jobs comment. Anyone that argues differently will need to show that Jobs thinks people can paint just as effectively, if not better, with their fingers on a capacitance touchscreen than on a touchscreen with a digitiser and stylus. Jobs never said nor implied such a comment and it's ridiculous to think that he felt that way.

As previously pointed out this wouldn't make as much sense on the iPhone than on the iPad and wouldn't be very useful on the iPad with a 132 PPI. For these reasons I wouldn't be surprised to see a digitiser on the iPad 3 with the proper iOS APIs to go along with it. Will Samsung have beaten Apple to market with a capacitence touchscreen + digitiser the way LG beat the iPhone to market with the Prada with a capacitance touchscreen? Sure, but a 12.62"sq display v. a 45.19"sq display should make the iPad significantly better for the majority — and that's without considering Apple's level of refinement for these tasks — the way the iPhone's multi-touch capacitance touchscreen, OS and UI where worlds apart from the Prada with the single-touch capacitance touchscreen, and poor OS and UI.
  • Reply 240 of 349
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Does it sting when your sincere comment is preempted by a Poe?

No, it just shows how horribly, horribly wrong the idea itself i.

Quote:

I like this "ZZZ I am", kind of reminds me of ConradJoe, who used to drive a good parody around here...

He IS ConradJoe. He made a new account.