Samsung Galaxy Note Super Bowl ad takes more jabs at Apple users

Comments

• Reply 101 of 349
    Agreed! Who does use a stylus anymore? Wern't those on early palm pilots in the late 1990's? I honestly think android has the ugliest GUI

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Whoops. Something strange happened here. It overwrote my original comment...

Anyway, the best line in the thing was, "Whoa, it has a pen?"

Steve Jobs was right. "Who wants a stylus?" No one. People want pens.

• Reply 102 of 349
    inappropriate post removed
  • Reply 103 of 349
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

As someone who owns an iPhone 4S but doesn't harbor the late Steve Jobs' ill will toward Android (I bought a Nexus One in January 2010 and still have it), the Samsung ad fell flat to me. A stylus isn't that attractive. Plus, you don't tend to get new customers by insulting the very people you seek to attract.

I've heard comparisons to the Mac vs. PC commercials, but I disagree. The Mac vs. PC ads were comparing the two PRODUCTS, not customers. It was telling Windows CUSTOMERS that it was OK to like the Mac. The Samsung ads are essentially telling Apple customers that they are idiots, which doesn't tend to endear them to people. Rightly or wrongly, most people don't like being told they are fanboys or idiots.

I guess it takes one to know one.
  • Reply 104 of 349
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

The reason we used pencils and pens isn't because fingers weren't as good. We used pens and pencils because neither ink nor graphite comes out of our finger tips to write on dead trees.

No. There are finger paints, after all.

We write with pens because they are more precise. I don't know if you've ever attempted to "write" anything with your finger on an iPad, but it is exceedingly difficult.

On another note, the Mac vs. PC ads were just as smug and stupid. I'm glad they're over and don't specifically like the Samsung ads either. When Apple or Samsung/whoever go for an "emotional" angle they are reaching for the masses, who generally don't do research and just buy whatever crap catches their eye (yes, Apple absolutely does this too.) I feel like the Fantards (Apple or Android) make up an extremely small subset of the mobile market, and even that subset seems to be less concerned with performance and perhaps just swayed by a different sort of emotional manipulation. Anyway, the informed buyer is an outlier, was all I'd meant to suggest.

I feel like the stylus would be good for writing Cantonese/Mandarin specifically, and that isn't necessarily a small demographic, although there are input methods that are more efficient than "writing" them with a fat feckless finger OR marginally more precise stylus/"pen."
  • Reply 105 of 349
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

inappropriate post removed

Understood.
  • Reply 106 of 349
    I'm curious. What makes having a stylus so '90s? What about pen and pencil? Or mouse and keyboard? Hey, what's the point of having any of those now that we've touchscreens? Our fingers work great for writing, right?

The Galaxy Note runs Android with the inherent multitouch support. The stylus is a precision tool for writing and drawing for apps that supports it. I would be interested in such a device for work. Plus, the stylus is stored on the device such that you can't even tell there's a stylus hiding inside. http://www.samsung.com/global/micros...html?type=find

The article claims that, "Setting itself apart from Apple's handset and tablet offerings, the Note utilizes a stylus as its main form input instead of the finger-based scheme made popular by the original iPhone." Your fingers are still the primary input; it's running Android for gd sake. The stylus allows you the option of precision writing/drawing when necessary. FYI: It's almost impossible to take engineering notes with a keyboard. You'll need to use your fingers or a stylus to do some drawings.
  • Reply 108 of 349
    Why is everyone here so butthurt? Not even sure why this news was posted here.

It's an incredibly successful phone. Get over it. 700,000 sold just in South Korea and it just launched there recently.

Spec-wise it's also the best phone on the market.
  • Reply 109 of 349
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Palalune View Post

http://www.titleofsite.com/2012/01/samsung-vs-baristas/

Shamesung FTL

Such a reputable source.
  • Reply 110 of 349
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Of the 99 posts in this thread alone, 15 are from AbsoluteDesignz.

iPhone defense squad. I wonder if he gets paid.

Too bad everyone in this thread isn't even open minded enough to try this device. It's had amazing reviews, battery life is incredible, and it's ridiculously fast (4G and benchmarks).

It's only too big if you're wearing your little sister's pants
  • Reply 111 of 349
    Is the author of this article a little butthurt or just plain stupid?

"...the Note utilizes a stylus as its main form input instead of the finger-based scheme made popular by the original iPhone."

ROFL - that's a straight out lie!!

And as if iphone was the first touch phone damn sheister.
  • Reply 112 of 349
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amoled View Post

Is the author of this article a little butthurt or just plain stupid?

"...the Note utilizes a stylus as its main form input instead of the finger-based scheme made popular by the original iPhone."

ROFL - that's a straight out lie!!

And as if iphone was the first touch phone damn sheister.

Keep in mind the author of the article has never touched the device. Also it's on Apple Insider, of course it will be simply wrong.

And yes, we know the iphone wasn't the first touch screen phone. At least I sure hope most of them know
  • Reply 113 of 349
    I thought it was a good ad, but the product doesn't appeal to me. It seems like a pretty good device for using as a mini tablet at home, but too big for a phone or portable device.
  • Reply 114 of 349
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    If Apple wanted to hit back in a negative way, all they'd have to do is show musicians creating music on iOS devices, something which Android just can't do due to inherent lag because of the way Android works.

If Apple wanted to stoop so low, which I highly doubt.

ZDnet has already described the ad as "lame" when describing the Best Buy ad as the best of the Super Bowl tech commercials.
  • Reply 115 of 349
    I did not wait in line when 4S or iPad2 launched in India, I walked in and walked out with the purchase.. Soooooooooo I am thinking the ad is not targeting me.. Looks like the PC vs MAC all over again.. Will apple retaliate with its own ad mocking Samsung.. I think not, it will be admitting that Samsung is a threat and surely it is not considering the sales that Apple has reported. I guess Interesting times ahead..
  • Reply 116 of 349
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

If Apple wanted to hit back in a negative way, all they'd have to do is show musicians creating music on iOS devices, something which Android just can't do due to inherent lag because of the way Android works.

If Apple wanted to stoop so low, which I doubt they would.

Implying real musicians make music on an iphone

Implying any of that BS can't be done on any Android

Implying this device has lag.

Implying Apple has made tons of attack ads before

Oh you.
  • Reply 117 of 349
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

ZDnet has already described the ad as "lame" when describing the Best Buy ad as the best of the Super Bowl tech commercials.

link? It says nothing about the Note on their website. All I can see are the articles criticizing Apple for being greedy with iBooks
  • Reply 118 of 349
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

Implying real musicians make music on an iphone

Implying any of that BS can't be done on any Android

Implying this device has lag.

Implying Apple has made tons of attack ads before

Oh you.

Yawn!

Educate yourself.
  • Reply 119 of 349
    Wow, that was $10.5M well spent!

Stylus (pen)? A bunch of people singing and dancing for a reason that gets lost pretty quickly? A conclusion that admits the ad was "over the top"?

Who hired the ad agency and did (s)he know they were obvious Apple fanboys?

How embarrassing!
  • Reply 120 of 349
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

link? It says nothing about the Note on their website. All I can see are the articles criticizing Apple for being greedy with iBooks

Yeah it's there, but look who the author is

"Jason O'Grady is a journalist and author specializing in mobile technology. He has published six books on Apple...."