Viacom deal brings MTV, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon shows to Amazon Prime

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Amazon, a company run by grownups, takes the time to negotiate content deals and make everyone happy with those deals. Only then do they roll out a product or service offering that content. Google doesn't seem to grasp the concept of negotiation or deal-making (other than negotiating pay-for-placement rates in their search results.)

Netflix has a horrendous business model for their internet content service. They don't have many of the latest movies and TV shows, some of their content is still in SD resolution, their service gets interrupted periodically, movies and TV shows appear and disappear as they constantly struggle to re-negotiate deals, etc. etc. They aimed straight down at the lowest common denominator, and they nailed it.

But hey, it's cheap! Poor quality at a low price? Yes sir, that's our middle name. But is that a good 21st century internet entertainment delivery business model? I don't think so. And, to make things worse, Netflix doesn't offer any unique benefit. Any other content-deal-middleman company can do what Netflix does, if they can negotiate deals and set up a big fat server farm.

Mediocre quality at a low price. It works for Budweiser, but will it work for Netflix in the long run?

I don't think so. Maybe Amazon *should* buy them and whip them into shape.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Strangers with Candy is one of the best comedy shows ever! Just the fact that it was one of the first shows not to include an idiotic laugh track telling the audience when they were supposed to laugh caught my attention. I also like the politically incorrect humor in a world filled with so much drearily unfunny "family friendly" crap.

So many great lines.

Jerri Blank: I'm not adopted and I'm not an Indian. It's just a coincidence that I have a love of gambling and booze and a knack for catching syphilis.

Jerri Blank: Orlando, you can't be a pilgrim. The pilgrims had snowy white skin to match their pure Christian souls. They didn't sacrifice coconuts to their monkey gods.

Jerri Blank: Hey Stew, you seen my mother?

Stew: Which one? The real one, the dead one, or the one I'm having sex with?

Jerri Blank: I like the pole and the hole.

Jerri Blank: Hello. I'm Jerry Blank. 32 years ago I dropped out of High School and ran away from home. Oh, I made a lot of friends... did a lot of time. I was a boozer, a user and a loser. I stole the TV. - Did some more time. But now I'm back in school. And though the faces may have changed, the hassles are just the same.

Jerri Blank: "Dear Diary, I'm sorry for all those hateful racist things I said about you. Everything's changed; I'm in love... something you would never understand you dirty, dirty, dirty Jew diary. Just kidding, just kidding. Jerri Blank."

[Talking to a tree she has just planted]

Jerri Blank: You know, you and me have got a lot in common, we both have thick leathery bark, we both have initials carved into our trunks, and we're both setting down new roots.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I bet that most of the people who keep talking about that free prime shipping live in a state where they don't pay tax on their Amazon purchases. Enjoy it while you can, because things are changing and you will pretty soon have to pay your fair share in accordance with the law.

As for MTV, Comedy Central and NIckelodeon, Blah! Color me unimpressed. One is no longer a music channel and they now make crappy reality shows starring a bunch of retards and ugly women who look like whores. Their prime demographic is now dumb people. One is a channel for small kids, and the last one is supposed to be a comedy channel, which airs some unfunny political shows made for ignorant liberals. South Park is alright though.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

You know, if Amazon really wants this video service to compete with iTunes (and looking at the fact at they make money off content, not devices), they really need to come out with an iOS client. I'm really surprised that they haven't yet, and the question for me is why not?

Probably because Apple would take a 30% cut of every sale. That's why Amazon won't do it.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    rbelsrbels Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Probably because Apple would take a 30% cut of every sale. That's why Amazon won't do it.

You have made a very good point.

Yes, even I too feel its Apple's 30% cut that is keeping Amazon out of ATV. For all those commenters who have never used VOD, Amazon Prime offers free as well as paid content. This is true even to Prime members. Not all the videos are free there. If Amazon were to provide only free content on ATV, they cant make money out of selling paid stuff based on user's tastes. At the same time, if they have to provide paid content, it has to pass through Apple's payment gateway, giving them 30% cut and leaving peanuts (or may even be peanut skin) for Amazon. Now, having Netflix and HuluPlus on ATV makes sense, because they do not have any pay per view content there.

So, its not Amazon but I would really like Apple to open its doors to Amazon content to be made available on ATV and fight on a level playing field. iTunes content price is way above others' offer. I have Roku and stream Amazon content through that service. Amazon Instant Video UI is good (not as bad as one of fanboy's comments here) and the free contents are also good and in addition to what Netflix does not have. $79 Prime membership for free content plus 2 day shipping is just too good, those who bashed it here do not know how to buy online.

And someday I would really like to see some live channels as well there on ATV. Some of the news podcasts are too stale. I really like the stability of the ATV device compared to Roku, but the restrictions are too bad.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    These media companies are comical when it comes to their anti-piracy efforts when at the same time they allow Amazon to stream their content for next to nothing in these "all you can eat" models. The reality is that they have no clue what they are doing.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rBels View Post

You have made a very good point.

Yes, even I too feel its Apple's 30% cut that is keeping Amazon out of ATV. For all those commenters who have never used VOD, Amazon Prime offers free as well as paid content. This is true even to Prime members. Not all the videos are free there. If Amazon were to provide only free content on ATV, they cant make money out of selling paid stuff based on user's tastes. At the same time, if they have to provide paid content, it has to pass through Apple's payment gateway, giving them 30% cut and leaving peanuts (or may even be peanut skin) for Amazon. Now, having Netflix and HuluPlus on ATV makes sense, because they do not have any pay per view content there.

So, its not Amazon but I would really like Apple to open its doors to Amazon content to be made available on ATV and fight on a level playing field. iTunes content price is way above others' offer. I have Roku and stream Amazon content through that service. Amazon Instant Video UI is good (not as bad as one of fanboy's comments here) and the free contents are also good and in addition to what Netflix does not have. $79 Prime membership for free content plus 2 day shipping is just too good, those who bashed it here do not know how to buy online.

And someday I would really like to see some live channels as well there on ATV. Some of the news podcasts are too stale. I really like the stability of the ATV device compared to Roku, but the restrictions are too bad.

And the media industry wonders who is driving the profit / revenue out of the industry? Its bottom feeders like Amazon that are practically giving it away. Yet they don't want to play ball with Apple as Apple has too much control? Control of what? Like actually making you money?????
  • Reply 28 of 30
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Amazon, a company run by grownups, takes the time to negotiate content deals and make everyone happy with those deals. Only then do they roll out a product or service offering that content. Google doesn't seem to grasp the concept of negotiation or deal-making (other than negotiating pay-for-placement rates in their search results.)

Did you actually look at what's available? Although there are some gems here and there, Amazon's Prime Eligible contents aren't much better than Netflix. From what I can tell, a bit worse actually.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by williamh View Post

I jailbroke my Gen1 AppleTV and the performance was too bad. I ought to do it on my current AppleTV and see how it is. The other thing is that, at least on ATV gen1, the XBMC and other apps were kindof quirky and while I could deal with it, my non-technical wife had little tolerance for crap.

It has change a lot and the performance is not a problem. I have 3 of them all jailbroken my wife who is not technical loves it.