Doubts cast on likelihood of quad-core A6 CPU in third-gen iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

A new report has countered rumors that the processor expected to power Apple's third-generation iPad will be a quad-core model, noting instead that the chip will still be dual-core, though with a "significantly more powerful" graphics processor.

The Verge reported on Wednesday that its sources had indicated the A6 CPU the so-called "iPad 3" is likely to sport "will not be a quad-core chip." Report author Joshua Topolsky said the tip was surprising, as he had previously heard that it would have a quad-core CPU.

The tipsters did, however, note that the next iPad will have a double-resolution as expected that will be "nearly physically identical" to the iPad 2. They also said the A6 would include a vastly more powerful GPU.

Talk surrounding the third-generation iPad was stirred up on Wednesday with the discovery of a back panel purportedly for the as-yet-unannounced device. The component appeared to show that Apple's next tablet will feature a larger battery, new LCD display and a different camera.

Topolsky's claim that Apple would continue to use a dual-core chip in its A6 processor directly contradicts a report from BGR> from last week that included photos allegedly of debug data from an "iPad 3 prototype." At the time, the publication, which has a shaky track record with hardware predictions, said the photos showed an A6 processor with quad-cores carrying a model number of S5L8945X. But, Topolsky's record isn't perfect either, as he was the original source of a rumor last year that claimed the "iPhone 5" would be tapered and feature a multi-touch home button.

Meanwhile, BGR is not alone in anticipating a quad-core A6, as Bloomberg said last month that the next iPad would contain a quad-core processor, LTE functionality and a high-resolution Retina Display. A Korean newspaper also reported last October that Samsung was expected to manufacture a quad-core A6 processor.

For its part, Apple does appear to be making preparations for quad-core A-series chips in the future, as evidence of quad-core ARM CPU support was found in its Xcode developer tool last September.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Here we go again.

As long as we got +50% in CPU performance I'm happy quad or not.
  • Reply 2 of 63
    Hmm...

The place that said the "iPhone 5" was CERTAIN to happen in October and CERTAIN to have a tapered design says that there won't be a quad-core chip... despite Apple's own OS showing otherwise.

Yeah, I believe them.
  • Reply 3 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hmm...

The place that said the "iPhone 5" was CERTAIN to happen in October and CERTAIN to have a tapered design says that there won't be a quad-core chip... despite Apple's own OS showing otherwise.

Yeah, I believe them.

They're counting on human short-term memory issues.
  • Reply 4 of 63
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hmm...

Yeah, I believe them.

Quad-core Cortex-A9 seems most likely even outside what BGR reported.
  • Reply 5 of 63
    Well I waited on iPad 3 to upgrade because I was expecting quadcore/retina/LTE/4m camera

I will be ok with a dual core cortex 15 but not a dual core cortex 9. LTE must happend for me since 3G is to slow for me. Retina is pretty much confirm now and the camera could be a crappy 2m but it's not a deal breaker.

Quadcore cortex 9 or dual core cortex 15 & LTE are deal breakers for me...
  • Reply 6 of 63
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShAdOwXPR View Post

Well I waited on iPad 3 to upgrade because I was expecting quadcore/retina/LTE/4m camera

I will be ok with a dual core cortex 15 but not a dual core cortex 9. LTE must happend for me since 3G is to slow for me. Retina is pretty much confirm now and the camera could be a crappy 2m but it's not a deal breaker.

Those are odd "requirements". You don't seem be concerned with a particular app not running fast enough, but with specifically having certain spec list features you can check off. Can you shed some light on that?

As for LTE I think you'lre going be disappointed. While the iPad has beaten the iPhone to market with certain HW, like the CPU, I don't think it's ever beaten the iPhone to market with the broadband chips.
  • Reply 7 of 63
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    iPad 3 looks slightly longer and narrower - maybe a bigger 10.1" screen?
  • Reply 8 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

iPad 3 looks slightly longer and narrower - maybe a bigger 10.1" screen?

No. Filler.
  • Reply 9 of 63
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShAdOwXPR View Post

Enjoy waiting on the iPad 4 then. And if the iPad 4 doesn't meet your demands, then there's always the iPad 5 What's another year or two or three to wait around? It's not like time is precious or anything.

In the meantime, I'm still enjoying my current iPad just about every day and I'll most likely be getting the new one too, if I like it.
  • Reply 10 of 63
    No quad-core iPad will cause quad-core Android tablets to catch up...

/s

• Reply 11 of 63
    I'm just going to convince myself as of now that its going to be a faster dual core..that way if its not its going to be oh so sweet if they anounce a quad core instead... the retina display is somewhat 100% official but I have a big feeling there's not going to be 4G.. ouch
  • Reply 12 of 63
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    I'm hoping for quad-core, but what really matters will be the screen resolution. Give me something closer to a retina display and I'll be thrilled. And upgrading.
  • Reply 13 of 63
    Consumers and nerds alike usually salivate over specs...to a point of obsession.

What if more internal iOS stuff got off-loaded to the GPU with OpenCL? That beefier GPU doesn't need to sit around idle. Perhaps they can realize large performance gains and keep the same usage time with the larger battery. Remember 4x the pixels of a retina display are going to use more energy too.

Basically, I'm just gonna say that Apple knows better than you and if you don't buy an iPad 3 just because they didn't have a processor you wanted, you're silly.
  • Reply 14 of 63
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    If Apple sticks to what i assume they will, they will just be introducing a better processor, which would most likely be a quad core A9, i SEVERELY doubt we'll see a Cortex A15 dual core, which would put it on the very bleeding edge.

Seeing as how Apple likes to refresh GPUs every 2 years so far, i think we'll be seeing the same GPU even if it the iPad 2 gets a Retina Display, just like they reused the SGX535 for the iPhone 4 when it has a retina display.
  • Reply 15 of 63
    We all know what's going to happen. The iPad 3 is going to be announced and then the whining will commence, no matter what new, great features it has. These same old, tired people will whine about something that is of little consequence to the majority of normal humans and they'll predict it to be a flop, just like with all of the iPhones and iPads that came before it. Some will still call it a toy, others will whine about some miniscule feature that it doesn't have, and people all around the world will be buying them up by the tens of millions, while iPads are on their way to replacing traditional PC's for the common person.

The iPad 3 will sell like crazy, it'll be hard to get when it is released and it will generate record profits for Apple. That's what will happen.
  • Reply 16 of 63
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Enjoy waiting on the iPad 4 then. And if the iPad 4 doesn't meet your demands, then there's always the iPad 5 What's another year or two or three to wait around? It's not like time is precious or anything.

In the meantime, I'm still enjoying my current iPad just about every day and I'll most likely be getting the new one too, if I like it.

I'll be purchasing some Galaxy Tabs first.

(I need something to throw at the smug Samsung Galaxy phone owners pestering us while we sit in line for the iPad 3)
  • Reply 17 of 63
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    ...oh, and I hope it has a stylus.

That's all that ANYBODY should need.
  • Reply 18 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

As long as it has a stylus.

That's all that's important.

Luckily for those people, there's the Samsung Galaxy Note!

But what the hell is it really? It's too damn big to be a phone. I wouldn't want to be holding that thing up to my head. And it's too damn small to be a tablet. And that wonderful device runs Android, are you sold on it yet? As for me, I think that I'll pass.
  • Reply 19 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Those are odd "requirements". You don't seem be concerned with a particular app not running fast enough, but with specifically having certain spec list features you can check off. Can you shed some light on that?

As for LTE I think you'lre going be disappointed. While the iPad has beaten the iPhone to market with certain HW, like the CPU, I don't think it's ever beaten the iPhone to market with the broadband chips.

Well my original iPad I showing it's age, I want tablet upgrade that will last me a few years. Quadcore or dual core cortex 15 plus LTE will give me that.
  • Reply 20 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

A crappy camera I can live with (AR apps look horrible with iPad 2 crappy camera) but processing power and LTE for a tablet I expect to last me the next 2 years is really a must for me.