Apple now worth more than Google and Microsoft combined [u]

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Wow. Well I didn't realize that had already been achieved. So Apple getting there is not a fantasy.

The trillion dollar valuation for PetroChina was a bit of a bogus number (not unlike Cisco's famed half trillion valuation at one point). It was soon after their IPO (in 2007, I think), with very little public float, and the stock markets in China being on a truly bubble-ish tear plus huge demand for the stock made the price soar. It didn't last long.

Their valuation today is the upper $200B range, far less than that of Apple.

The question really is whether Aaple could be the world's first sustainably trillion dollar market cap company.
  • Reply 182 of 190
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Worst case scenario with options: They expire. You lose 2%.

Worst case without options: Apple goes under $350 and you lose mega percent.

It's exactly that kind of "analysis" which is useless. Actually, the BEST case if I did a put option is that I lose 2%. Best case if I don't is that the stock continues to increase and I reap all the profit.

Worst case for me is if the stock goes under my purchase price. That's as close to improbable as you can get.

Everything in between is gravy.
  • Reply 183 of 190
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palomine View Post

. . . What a story! Now we have a new category killer iTV, a new iPad 3, new iPhone soon, and a stockholders meeting coming up with a lot of buzz surrounding it. Most valuable company in the world. Patents filing. Wow.

I knew they were going to make it big but this is more than I expected of them.

The poor analysts are lost on their raft in the ocean, they just crossed the bow of the queen Mary II. I think they've finally noticed how big Apple is.

This is a memorable metaphor, all the moreso because the proportions seem exactly right.
  • Reply 184 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Please don't dispense dodgy tax advice. If a substantial chunk of Apple's cash is held in low tax environments abroad -- as it most likely is -- the company and its shareholders will incur a massive tax bill if they bing it back to the US to pay their dividends.

Independent of that, you do realize that dividends are paid from after-tax income for corporations, right?

I'm sure Apple isn't looking for tax advice from me or you, but if the company is going to use the cash for anything, dividends or any other purpose, then it may have to be at least partially repatriated. But from all the information I have picked up, they would not have to repatriate cash to pay any kind of modest dividend.
  • Reply 185 of 190
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

You are pursuing a risky strategy.

I was going to say LONG GONE.
  • Reply 186 of 190
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

You mean a dividend? It should lower their effective tax rate, and it benefits the stockholder's bottom lines positively.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Please don't dispense dodgy tax advice. If a substantial chunk of Apple's cash is held in low tax environments abroad -- as it most likely is -- the company and its shareholders will incur a massive tax bill if they bing it back to the US to pay their dividends.

Independent of that, you do realize that dividends are paid from after-tax income for corporations, right?

You beat me to it. I was going to make both points.

It amazes me how often people with no clue how finance works insist on offering advice. I wonder if they spend their time looking over brain surgeon's shoulders and offer advice on how to do that, too.
  • Reply 187 of 190
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I'm sure Apple isn't looking for tax advice from me or you, but if the company is going to use the cash for anything, dividends or any other purpose, then it may have to be at least partially repatriated. But from all the information I have picked up, they would not have to repatriate cash to pay any kind of modest dividend.

Really? Wu is suggesting a dividend that would cost $70-80 B. They don't have anything close to that in the U.S. Most of their money is overseas.

What 'information that you've picked up' says otherwise?
  • Reply 188 of 190
    Yeah..I knew it...great invest
  • Reply 189 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldMacGuy View Post

100%? Put in a stop-loss order, please. No tree grows to the sky.

Timing is everything. Too much upside left and as we all know AAPL Stock can get battered around for a period each Quarter as it builds momentum to skyrocket up, which could make it hit one of those Stop Orders, and cost you a lot of upside. Nothing is ever "risk-free" in risky assets, but right now, even with EU issues and all that garb looming, that can batter the Market around, I personally took off my Stop Orders on AAPL as every time I have them, they engage and it costs me lots of $$$$ in the long run. Going Long means you do have to have a pretty strong stomach sometimes, though, but if the fundamentals say they will (and they do), usually in the end it will hopefully pay off greatly.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by glui2001 View Post

Crap sold at $454!

Now why would you do that?!

I was just talking to my friend today about this. Sometimes, in the Market, you concentrate too much on "What other people are doing". If you treat a Stock as what it is: A possession of yours that you buy with the intent to watch grow and usually sell to someone else when you feel it hits your peak levels of confidence-evaluation, you can have a more rationale level of when to Sell (and Buy). For example, I don't look at Apple as "what is it worth today to this Market". I look at it as "What do I think it's worth, what would I sell it for"? Just like if I was selling a car. I at this time wouldn't Sell Apple for lower than mid $600's, and that's just now (I too have to be instilled confidence by Apple, of course, as they continue to do that, I raise my "Stock Worth".

When Apple popped to $450's, it was great, but still ways to go to get even near fair valuation. And I don't sense any worrisome activities occurring at the very least throughout 2012 (more like 2014). Of course, the game is how much you can stomach the inevitable manipulation and stories to not convince you to dump it for irrationally cheap levels.
  • Reply 190 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post

Timing is everything. Too much upside left and as we all know AAPL Stock can get battered around for a period each Quarter as it builds momentum to skyrocket up, which could make it hit one of those Stop Orders, and cost you a lot of upside. Nothing is ever "risk-free" in risky assets, but right now, even with EU issues and all that garb looming, that can batter the Market around, I personally took off my Stop Orders on AAPL as every time I have them, they engage and it costs me lots of $$$$ in the long run. Going Long means you do have to have a pretty strong stomach sometimes, though, but if the fundamentals say they will (and they do), usually in the end it will hopefully pay off greatly.

Now why would you do that?!

I was just talking to my friend today about this. Sometimes, in the Market, you concentrate too much on "What other people are doing". If you treat a Stock as what it is: A possession of yours that you buy with the intent to watch grow and usually sell to someone else when you feel it hits your peak levels of confidence-evaluation, you can have a more rationale level of when to Sell (and Buy). For example, I don't look at Apple as "what is it worth today to this Market". I look at it as "What do I think it's worth, what would I sell it for"? Just like if I was selling a car. I at this time wouldn't Sell Apple for lower than mid $600's, and that's just now (I too have to be instilled confidence by Apple, of course, as they continue to do that, I raise my "Stock Worth".

When Apple popped to $450's, it was great, but still ways to go to get even near fair valuation. And I don't sense any worrisome activities occurring at the very least throughout 2012 (more like 2014). Of course, the game is how much you can stomach the inevitable manipulation and stories to not convince you to dump it for irrationally cheap levels.

Now that is some solid reasoning. It explains what I am doing, and even though it causes a bit of tension, I am not selling Apple until it gets to something close to fair value. An amount which I perceive to be going up a lot faster than the stock price. When I picked this stock in 2001 I expected it to be the next Microsoft. It has gone way past that. Triple that. Yet where is the stock profit? It seems Apple is actually TOO BIG to be fairly priced! Now that's a apple needs its own exchange !