My iTunes won't burn a CD...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I use OS 9.2.2 with all the latest firmware for my iTunes 2. The strange thing is that iTunes recognizes my external Que!Fire CD burner and when I boot up, I even get the prompt to "prepare" my CD for iTunes audio burning.

But when I go to actually burn the thing, iTunes acts like it's burning the CD, but the burner just sits there with nothing spinning inside. So, halfway through the first song, I just abort the process because it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Am I being impatient, or is iTunes doing something wrong?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    [quote]Originally posted by Gandalf the Semi-Coherent:

<strong>I use OS 9.2.2 with all the latest firmware for my iTunes 2. The strange thing is that iTunes recognizes my external Que!Fire CD burner and when I boot up, I even get the prompt to "prepare" my CD for iTunes audio burning.

But when I go to actually burn the thing, iTunes acts like it's burning the CD, but the burner just sits there with nothing spinning inside. So, halfway through the first song, I just abort the process because it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Am I being impatient, or is iTunes doing something wrong?</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you're burning MP3s into an audio CD that will be compatible with generic CD Players, then iTunes needs to re-encode the files to AIFF, the format that Audio CDs use. This may be what its doing while nothing is moving in the drive. After the encoding is finished, it will burn the CD. I think this is what you're experiencing
  • Reply 2 of 3
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I don't have too much experience with external burners, but I have oticed that sometimes iTunes is funny about burning. What I do to get around problems like the one you are describing is, don't put the cd in first. In iTunes hit Burn CD and let it ask you for a disc first. Then put the CD-R in, this way it won't ask you if you'd like to prepare it. Also, remember that it has to initialize the tracks first and conveert them, like Agent Cooper said. My guess is to try it that way and be patient. Hope it works.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    [quote]Originally posted by Agent Cooper:

<strong>If you're burning MP3s into an audio CD that will be compatible with generic CD Players, then iTunes needs to re-encode the files to AIFF, the format that Audio CDs use. This may be what its doing while nothing is moving in the drive. After the encoding is finished, it will burn the CD. I think this is what you're experiencing.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It was. Thanks. I let the process play out like you suggested, and it worked perfectly.

I gotta be more patient in the future.