What should I do with my new ibook?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I got my ibook yesterday and I'm soooo happy.

The problem is that now I'm lost. Heck, I'm an MCP and I'm lost with OSX. I need your help.

1) How do I move my address book and email from outlook (not express) to, say, mail? I'm getting Office X so should I wait and use Entourage instead?

2) I removed OS9 by trashing the system folder and the applications folder. Is that it?

3) How do I use the unix stuff in OSX?

4) Anything I should definately download? I think I got most of the security patches and ITunes 3.

5) Anything cool I can do with the ibook?

Another question, I used OS 8 before and the list of applications was under the apple menu. Where are they now?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    spotbugspotbug Posts: 361member
    [quote]Originally posted by gear02:

<strong>I got my ibook yesterday and I'm soooo happy.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I got mine last Friday. Fun, huh?

[quote]<strong>I'm getting Office X so should I wait and use Entourage instead?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Wait for Entourage. I have it. It's better than Mail.

[quote]<strong>2) I removed OS9 by trashing the system folder and the applications folder. Is that it?</strong><hr></blockquote>

That should do it.

[quote]<strong>3) How do I use the unix stuff in OSX?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Launch Terminal (in the "Utilities" folder in the "Applications" folder). There's your command line. Go to it.

[quote]<strong>5) Anything cool I can do with the ibook?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Airport.

[quote]<strong>Another question, I used OS 8 before and the list of applications was under the apple menu. Where are they now?</strong><hr></blockquote>

In the "Applications" folder.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    gear02gear02 Posts: 12member
    [quote]Originally posted by spotbug:

<strong>

In the "Applications" folder.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Wait...so there's no run menu?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    allinoneallinone Posts: 279member

I got my ibook yesterday and I'm soooo happy.

The problem is that now I'm lost. Heck, I'm an MCP and I'm lost with OSX. I need your help.

<hr></blockquote>

<strong>

2) I removed OS9 by trashing the system folder and the applications folder. Is that it?

</strong>

Yup. But why? If it don't use it it's not in your way. And you may wish you had it to run applications under Classic.

<strong>

3) How do I use the unix stuff in OSX?

</strong>

Applications/Utilities/Terminal

<strong>

4) Anything I should definately download? I think I got most of the security patches and ITunes 3.

</strong>

Depends what you want to do.

Here's some downloadable apps to get you started:

Graphic Converter (shareware graphics editor)

BBEdit Lite (free version of the awesome text editor)

AIM (until you can get iChat)

Cocoa eFax (shareware Fax software)

TinkerTool (exposes hidden OSX preferences)

Fetch (shareware FTP client)

Limewire (shareware Gnutella client)

Palm Desktop (free contact/note/calendar manager)

search for any of these applications and read reviews at versiontracker.com or macupdate.com

<strong>

Another question, I used OS 8 before and the list of applications was under the apple menu. Where are they now?

</strong>

Actually there were just aliases in the old Apple Menu most likely. The applications were in the Applications directory. Under OSX they are in the Applications directory too. Any that you use frequently can be dropped into the dock, or in you tool bar.

Hope this helps.

[ 07-30-2002: Message edited by: AllInOne ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 5
    gear02gear02 Posts: 12member
    [quote]Originally posted by AllInOne:

<strong>

[qb]

</strong>

Yup. But why? If it don't use it it's not in your way. And you may wish you had it to run applications under Classic.

<hr></blockquote>

Are there a lot of applications that don't run in OSX?

Oh and one more question. What software out there are PC and MAC compatible and are on the same disk?

[ 07-30-2002: Message edited by: gear02 ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 5
    allinoneallinone Posts: 279member

<strong>

Are there a lot of applications that don't run in OSX?

Oh and one more question. What software out there are PC and MAC compatible and are on the same disk?

[ 07-30-2002: Message edited by: gear02 ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Only a few thousand.

The question is: are they ones you care about. They tend to be older ones, from small, defunct houses or ones that have moved away from the Mac.

QuarkXpress would probably be the biggest one. It runs fine for me in classic (I am only an occasional user) so it's not a big deal, but if it were one of my core tools I would probably still be working in MacOS 9.