Help your ripped- off UK cousins

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I live in scotland but am coming over in September/October to do the whole Theme Park scene. Due to the ridiculous pricing over here I'm thinking of buying an iBook while I'm over. We'll be staying in Kissimmee so my questions are

1. Where is the best place near there to buy Apple stuff and

2. Has anyone done this and what are the pitfalls?

Thanks and looking forward to some decent prices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    dna mandna man Posts: 6member
    I can't give you any information on the area you are going to but I can tell you that if you buy an iBook or PowerBook in the USA you will be covered by an Apple international warranty. I have done this many times now with no problems at all.

The power supply will work BOTH in the USA and in Bonnie Scotland but you will need a 2 pin shaver adaptor to add to the PSU when you get back to Scotland.

One word of caution, officially you should 'declare' your expesive purchase and the customs and excise at GLA (if you are leaving from there) are a bit more aware of tourist bringing stuff back in general (at this time of year) that they shouldn't. What I would do is to take a CD burned with pre-dated hols files or similar that you can show customs and excise if need be to 'prove' your iBook came from the UK. iBook boxes BTW in your suitcase will be a dead give-away but you can send them back via the US postal service if you wish to keep them. It will only cost you a few dollars.

Getting back to the where to buy it Qs, I guess check for a local Apple Store near you (good to visit anyway) or a CompUSA or Microcenter (all can be found on the web). I can't think of any more just now but I will add some more if they come to mind. Some of our US cousins might help you out in the meantime.

One other note is that you should NOT buy AppleCare in the US since it will be NAmerica only. Wait until you get back to Scotland. Also, you should think about other goodies out there such as FW drives, digital cameras etc Many manufacturers have dual 110-240VAC PSU units and are covered by international warranty. Software too is much cheaper out there. I try to buy most of my Mac stuff when in the USA. Saves you a bundle!!!

Have a good holiday and happy shopping
  • Reply 2 of 3
    dmgeistdmgeist Posts: 153member
    While in orlando, Kissimme. Go to the Florida mall (most maps have directions ) The Comp Usa store is right across the street ( its were I got my Ibook)

Have fun....
  • Reply 3 of 3
    dna mandna man Posts: 6member
    [quote]Originally posted by jimdad:

<strong>I live in scotland but am coming over in September/October to do the whole Theme Park scene. Due to the ridiculous pricing over here I'm thinking of buying an iBook while I'm over. We'll be staying in Kissimmee so my questions are

1. Where is the best place near there to buy Apple stuff and

2. Has anyone done this and what are the pitfalls?

Thanks and looking forward to some decent prices.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I just remember that if you are in Full time education, you will get a discount. Doesn;t matter if you are in the UK. They accept it too. Which is nice

:cool: