Apple attacks Motorola's efforts to block iPhone 4S using standards patents, asks for huge damages

Comments

• Reply 21 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

If it were up to me, any anti-Apple trolls would not be allowed on this forum and any violators would be banned for life (one strike and you're out!). Hell, if it were up to me, people would not be allowed to access this forum, unless they were on a Mac or iOS device.

Which is why it isn't up to you. Purposely trolling anti-Apple rhetoric has no place here, but to suggest only Apple computers (rather, I assume you'd ban anything as long as it didn't report itself as the Safari browser) is nonsensical.

Quote:

I believe that they should be confronted head on and killed as quickly as possible

In some cases, I agree. In others, we should let them talk themselves to death and bury them in their own confusion.
  • Reply 22 of 212
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Why is Apple filing in California over problems in Germany? Makes as much sense as filing in Spain over problems in China.

I'm no legal expert, but I kinda doubt CA courts have the jurisdiction.

The lawsuit involves three US companies over matters that have implications both in the US and abroad. Further the contract at issue was likely signed in the US. As such, jurisdiction is proper in any US Court. Apple picked the one in California, as that is the jurisdiction most favorable to it. If Apple wins a judgement, foreign courts through reciprocity agreements will have to honor the judgement.
  • Reply 23 of 212
    Quote:

If it were up to me, any anti-Apple trolls would not be allowed on this forum and any violators would be banned for life (one strike and you're out!). Hell, if it were up to me, people would not be allowed to access this forum, unless they were on a Mac or iOS device. I don't come here for discussions with anti-Apple people, as I am not interested in anything that these people have to say. I am only interested in speaking with fellow Apple users. But that of course is not up to me, so all I can do as a user is to forcibly knock down any ignorant comments which anti-Apple people spew from their mouths. As opposed to what some other people might believe, I don't believe that ignoring ignorance is the best method for dealing with trolls. I believe that they should be confronted head on and killed as quickly as possible

I like your style!!!!

And totally agree!!! I deal with enough anti apple loser geeks like Joe Wilcox over at Betanews... I sure as hell don't want to here!!!!
  • Reply 24 of 212
    Quote:

And I find your ignorance of the law and your lack of understanding of the facts behind the case to be most entertaining.

Motorola has no case here. They are a company on the verge of suicide and desperate people resort to desperate measures, no matter how pathetic and laughable those measures might be.

I agree. Motorola is going to be taken to the woodshed here; first by Apple and then by the U.S. government who will tie up Moto's management with anti-trust actions for the next five years or more. The final outcome may mean GooMoto TV related patents may have to be delicately enforced going forward because Uncle Sam will have their eye on GooMoto.

Quote:

As I've always written in the past, Apple should step up their legal efforts even more and deliver the final blow to their enemies, fatally wounding them and erasing their presence completely from the tech world.

It does seem as if Apple's long term strategy is to wear down their copy-happy competitors with a steady drip-drip-drip of suits. Either the competition will change their ways, or go nuts, like GooMoto, and do something really stupid.

By the time Goggle gets what they overpaid for, it will be worth even less than it does today.
  • Reply 25 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Another clueless troll in training.

And it boggles the mind how ridiculously stupid these Apple haters can be.
  • Reply 26 of 212
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Which is why it isn't up to you. Purposely trolling anti-Apple rhetoric has no place here, but to suggest only Apple computers (rather, I assume you'd ban anything as long as it didn't report itself as the Safari browser) is nonsensical.

That would be bad for me, in that case! I'm on Safari right now on a Mac, but I don't use Safari on my iPad. iOS doesn't allow multiple users yet, so I let my girlfriend exclusively use Safari on the iPad, while I use other browsers.

I never gave any thought as to how something like that could be implemented. Instead of checking for a particular browser, surely websites know which OS a user is using.

But anyhow, I'm not attempting to tell anybody how to run things. As I wrote, it's not up to me. The day that I make my own personal website, only Mac and iOS people will be allowed to access it.
  • Reply 27 of 212
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Everyone just needs a hug. If we did more hugging in business we wouldn't have these problems. Come to reasonable cross licensing agreements and move on please.
  • Reply 28 of 212
    Quote:

Why is Apple filing in California over problems in Germany? Makes as much sense as filing in Spain over problems in China.

"I'm no legal expert ...." How true! So, now, why do you have an opinion?

See paragraphs 4, 5, and 6 of Apple's complaint.

The next time you comment on legal matters, please certify that you have completed a law degree and have expertise in the issues of Federal jurisdiction law.
  • Reply 29 of 212
    Quote:

The contract between Motorola and Qualcomm is probably in California law
  • Reply 30 of 212
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This doesn't seem very fair, reasonable, and non-discrimatory on Motorola's part. Sounds to me like Apple has a strong case here.

I think Apple has a strong case as well.....Moto must be trying to group to come up with a response,
  • Reply 31 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Everyone just needs a hug. If we did more hugging in business we wouldn't have these problems. Come to reasonable cross licensing agreements and move on please.

Hugging is great but not when one of the parties has a knife and sticks it right between your shouderblades as Herr Schmidt did.
  • Reply 32 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I agree. Motorola is going to be taken to the woodshed here; first by Apple and then by the U.S. government who will tie up Moto's management with anti-trust actions for the next five years or more. The final outcome may mean GooMoto TV related patents may have to be delicately enforced going forward because Uncle Sam will have their eye on GooMoto.

It does seem as if Apple's long term strategy is to wear down their copy-happy competitors with a steady drip-drip-drip of suits. Either the competition will change their ways, or go nuts, like GooMoto, and do something really stupid.

By the time Goggle gets what they overpaid for, it will be worth even less than it does today.

Just look at what that idiot Larry page did in his probably biggest stupidest mistake of his so far gifted career!!! He bought a dying company, Motorolla, for 12 BILLION dollars!!

Hahahahaba!!!!!!

What kind of an idiot would pay that much for a company which had posted several quarters of losses in the millions hoping that their patents would somehow return more value than having thy much cash on hand.!!!

Now if that is not a sign of desperation then I dunno what is!

Props to Moto Mobility boss... I think Sanjay Gupta... For dooping a deserving asshole (Larry page) into writing a check that big!!!
  • Reply 33 of 212
    Hey Google! How do you like those Apples now?
  • Reply 34 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CarlosViscarra View Post

I like your style!!!!

And totally agree!!! I deal with enough anti apple loser geeks like Joe Wilcox over at Betanews... I sure as hell don't want to here!!!!

Thanks!

I've never heard of that guy or that site before, but it sounds like I'm not missing out on anything much if it's infested with anti-Apple people.
  • Reply 35 of 212
    Quote:

Please go and look up how many employees Foxconn employs and if you are capable of processing that information, you will find out that the suicide rate is extremely low. And while you're at it, you might also attempt to educate yourself and find out which other companies use Foxconn as a contractor.:

Actually the suicide rate at Foxconn is lower per thousand that it is in the U.S.

I suspect it is because the Foxconn workers live better and earn more than they did prior to being employed there. It's repetitious and boring work inside an air-conditioned well-lit facility. Compare that to back-breaking boring work in a steamy rice paddy for less money and you can see why the suicide rate is so low.

In addition to lowly factory workers, Foxconn employes thousands of engineers. Recently Foxconn expanded their factory size and set out to hire 10,000 industrial engineers. Do you have any idea how long any American factory would take to hire that may professionals? Months! Foxconn did it in a few weeks - hired and on-the-job.
  • Reply 36 of 212
    Quote:

That would be bad for me, in that case! I'm on Safari right now on a Mac, but I don't use Safari on my iPad. iOS doesn't allow multiple users yet, so I let my girlfriend exclusively use Safari on the iPad, while I use other browsers.

I never gave any thought as to how something like that could be implemented. Instead of checking for a particular browser, surely websites know which OS a user is using.

But anyhow, I'm not attempting to tell anybody how to run things. As I wrote, it's not up to me. The day that I make my own personal website, only Mac and iOS people will be allowed to access it.

Please be sure to give me that link!!!
  • Reply 37 of 212
    Quote:

If it were up to me, any anti-Apple trolls would not be allowed on this forum and any violators would be banned for life (one strike and you're out!). Hell, if it were up to me, people would not be allowed to access this forum, unless they were on a Mac or iOS device. I don't come here for discussions with anti-Apple people, as I am not interested in anything that these people have to say. I am only interested in speaking with fellow Apple users. But that of course is not up to me, so all I can do as a user is to forcibly knock down any ignorant comments which anti-Apple people spew from their mouths. As opposed to what some other people might believe, I don't believe that ignoring ignorance is the best method for dealing with trolls. I believe that they should be confronted head on and killed as quickly as possible

Unfortunately, that's exactly want the troll wants. They get a rise out of the responses. Not allowing other into a forum is also ignorant and is censorship to other ideas. The best and only way IMO is to use the ignore feature and you'll never even see those people again on you screen. If more people did just that the trolls wouldn't have a reason to come into this forum.
  • Reply 38 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CarlosViscarra View Post

Please be sure to give me that link!!!

Oh, I didn't really have an Apple site in mind, I was just thinking about a personal website.

However, if I ever did make an Apple site, there wouldn't be a lot of traffic coming there, because my policy would be so strict that even many Apple users would not be allowed. Only the most hardcore would be able to gain access. I obviously wouldn't be doing it for any financial gain, as I am a person of principle, and such things as web traffic or visitor stats is something that would be of little concern to me.

All Fandroids around the world can relax though, because I am not a web programmer, and I don't have any plans for making any sites anytime soon.
  • Reply 39 of 212
    In the back room at Google:

Okay... if you carry the two and subtract 5 and then multiple it by 7 and then add 4... hmmm... "Hello, Motorola, we've just been crunching the numbers and we've decided that it will cost us less if we just pay you the $2.5 billion and back out of the deal. Oh... and good luck with that thing you have going with Apple. Bye."
  • Reply 40 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Grouty2 View Post

If I understand this correctly this is about contracts between American companies (Motorola, Qualcomm and Apple) where one company (Motorola) is trying to rescind parts of a contract it signed with a second company (Qualcomm) as it applies to a third party (Apple).

Of course you are correct that a Californian court would have no jurisdiction over legal processes in another country. I think they can tell an American company that it is breaching a contract signed in America. Like you I'm no expert though. Perhaps there are real lawyers on here that might offer an opinion?

While you are right in saying a California court has no jurisdiction outside the U,S,, part of Apple's suit here is to stop GooMoto from suing on this matter anywhere else in the world, forcing GooMoto to drop their German suit.

IIn addition, if Apple wins this, and I think they likely will, I want to see the video of the Apple truck pulling up to Moto so they can shovel it full of money.