Clean restore

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi folks, is there a way to back up an iPad so that folders and the way you arranged icons are retained, but no junk data that's hidden in the background don't migrate over to a recovery?

There are some crashes that I've experienced with some apps, so I tried the known way of backing up and recovering my iPad thinking it would resolve the issue. But even after a fresh recovery, the crashes still happen. This made me wonder if some corrupted data gets backed up and restored.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by memotry View Post

...so I tried the known way of backing up and recovering my iPad ...

You tried the ONLY way of backing up and recovering your iPad.

The next step is just to restore it and then re-do everything from scratch. You can re-download all Apps you've already paid for ... but yes, it'll take time and bandwidth (but much quicker if you sync'ed with a computer via iTunes... they'll still be there.)

If you think it's something corrupted (including in your back-up file) then that's really your only option.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

You tried the ONLY way of backing up and recovering your iPad.

The next step is just to restore it and then re-do everything from scratch. You can re-download all Apps you've already paid for ... but yes, it'll take time and bandwidth (but much quicker if you sync'ed with a computer via iTunes... they'll still be there.)

If you think it's something corrupted (including in your back-up file) then that's really your only option.

Rats. I was desperately trying to avoid that start-from-scratch route since it involves 200 some apps in quite a lot of folders. I foresee using an entire sick day(s) to get my iPad back to just the way I want it. Thanks for the tip.