Retailer slashes iPad 2 price by $70 ahead of 'iPad 3'

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Meijer, a regional big-box retailer in the U.S., has slashed the in-store price of the 16GB iPad 2 with Wi-Fi by $70, even as Apple's third-generation tablet is expected to hit the market within weeks.

The chain announced the sale in its for the week of February 12 - 18, noting that it runs only while supplies last and does not include rain checks or substitutions. A separate listing on the company's website lists the $429 price as lasting until Feb. 25 and notes that the iPad 2 deal is only available in stores.

The Smart Cover iPad 2 accessory is also on sale for $35, $5 off Apple's price. In addition, Meijer is offering a free $15 iTunes gift card with the purchase of an 8GB iPod touch for $195 this week.

Meijer is a Michigan-based supermarket chain that has been credited with popularizing the "supercenter" retail concept. The bulk of the company's stores are in Michigan, though it also has locations in several other surrounding states.

The $70 off sale is one of the steepest discounts for the iPad 2 since the device was released last March. For instance, Best Buy offered $45 off all iPad 2 models last year ahead of the Black Friday retail frenzy. Apple itself offered between $41 and $61 off during its own Black Friday promotion.

Given that recent reports have pegged the first week in March as the likely time frame for the launch of the third-generation iPad, Meijer's deal could be viewed as an effort to clear out inventory before the new devices arrive.

Apple's next tablet is widely expected to have a high-resolution Retina Display with double the pixel density as the current model, as well as a significantly faster A6 processor. Some reports have also suggested that Apple could make the jump to 4G with the release of an LTE-capable iPad next month.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    You might also add a better camera and Siri Assistant software capability built in. If you are going to upgrade over iPad2, give it a good kick start... plus there is also perhaps a double life battery involved. The graphics support will be maybe 20 times better that iPad.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    Makes sense. They are not an authorized reseller so they can't return anything that doesn't sell even if Authorized sellers can. So they have to make sure that they sell their stock out. And once the iPad 3 is announced, forget selling those iPad 2s.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    Apple is DOOM!
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relefunt View Post

Apple is DOOM!

I always considered Apple more Quake IIish.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    I've been seeing a lot of discounts on iPod Touches, too. It makes me wonder if that is also going to be updated soon. Maybe it's going to get Siri support?
  • Reply 6 of 33
    Only 70$ if you want a cheap iPad 2 just wait 2-3 monthsnthey will be on easy new for 200-300$...
  • Reply 7 of 33
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

And once the iPad 3 is announced, forget selling those iPad 2s.

I disagree with that. Even today in 2012, 4% of all iPhones sold are the ancient iPhone 3G model!

This is no Android tablet that we're talking about here. Of course, most people are going to want to get the newest iPad, which is the iPad 3 when it gets released, but there will still be many people who will be more than happy to get their paws on an iPad 2. The iPad 2 is currently the best tablet on the planet and when the iPad 3 is released, the iPad 2 will become the second best tablet on the planet.

And for those people who can't afford an iPad 3, people who have perhaps been considering one of those bargain bin, junky Android tablets, a cheaper iPad 2 will be a perfect solution.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Holy crappioli, it's twue, it's twue! lol

iPad 2 is dead -- long live iPad 3!

God bless ye, Walt Mossberg ....
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Meijer, a regional big-box retailer in the U.S., has slashed the in-store price of the 16GB iPad 2 with Wi-Fi by $70, even as Apple's third-generation tablet is expected to hit the market within weeks.

Inventory clearance? I don't understand. The iPad sells as quick as Apple can make them.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShAdOwXPR View Post

Only 70$ if you want a cheap iPad 2 just wait 2-3 monthsnthey will be on easy new for 200-300$...

Nah man. Just the cost of parts in an iPad 2 is considerable. Nobody will be selling any brand new iPad 2's for that cheap. And nobody needs to.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Inventory clearance? I don't understand. The iPad sells as quick as Apple can make them.

I am not surprised.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Just to prove how well Apple products retain their value compared to other products, just go to Gazelle and see how much they offer somebody for a used iPad 2. The answer is $270 for the 16GB, $499 iPad WIFI model. How much does Gazelle offer somebody who paid $595 for a Motorola Xoom 32 GB WIFI?

$95
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Sold mine 400$ used this week! Bring it on Apple!

http:/Carlo.me/ipad2
  • Reply 14 of 33
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Just to prove how well Apple products retain their value compared to other products, just go to Gazelle and see how much they offer somebody for a used iPad 2. The answer is $270 for the 16GB, $499 iPad WIFI model. How much does Gazelle offer somebody who paid $595 for a Motorola Xoom 32 GB WIFI?

$95

Note that retail price (at least for the iPad) is much higher. The cheapest price for a new iPad 2 on eBay is $465 - and they go up quickly from there. The cheapest USED one is $375 plus shipping (not counting the broken ones). Heck, the cheapest first generation iPad is $300 used (not counting the broken ones).
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Note that retail price (at least for the iPad) is much higher. The cheapest price for a new iPad 2 on eBay is $465 - and they go up quickly from there. The cheapest USED one is $375 plus shipping (not counting the broken ones). Heck, the cheapest first generation iPad is $300 used (not counting the broken ones).

That's true. Somebody looking to sell their iPad 2 can do a lot better than selling it on a site like Gazelle. Ebay or Craigslist will net somebody a higher price.

I was originally thinking about selling my iPad 2 before I picked up the iPad 3, but I've now decided to keep it instead. A person can never have too many iPads! As a matter of fact, I wouldn't mind having three iPads. They would work nicely together with my music setup.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    I've been convinced that keeping the 16GB WiFi-only iPad 2 at the $399 price point makes sense.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShAdOwXPR View Post

Only 70$ if you want a cheap iPad 2 just wait 2-3 months n they will be on easy new for 200-300$...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The iPad 3 will be available at the old iPad 2 prices, so the current inventories need to be dumped at a discount, or suffer a more deeper discount in a couple of weeks. If Apple keeps the iPad 2 around at a lower price than currently then the old stock will be worth even less. Better to sell it at $70 off now than $150 off in March.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsismx View Post

i've been convinced that keeping the 16gb wifi-only ipad 2 at the $399 price point makes sense.

$299...
  • Reply 19 of 33
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

$299...

agreed, $299 would be perfect to disrupt the Amazon Kindle Fire.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Nah man. Just the cost of parts in an iPad 2 is considerable. Nobody will be selling any brand new iPad 2's for that cheap. And nobody needs to.

Wrong. When the iPad 2 first went on sale, you could pick up 64gig iPad 1's for 349 from AT&T. I know because I have one. My wife uses it on trips instead of her laptop. And to be honest, the 2 wasn't such a huge improvement over the original, so if the 3 is as big an upgrade as its supposed to be, expect similar if not deeper discounts on existing stock once it's released.