Apple reportedly squeezing supplier to stop building MacBook Air clones from Asus

Comments

• Reply 121 of 165
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

define 'run' and show me where os x is running on ARM? i ain't talking about Darwin or IOS.

2014 before any 64bit ARM chips (probably at best)

any porting of a full blown os like 7/8 or os x would be only for 'neato' factor. even if it was done and available now the performance would soon have you not using the device. Can anyone say 'Atom'??

Darwin isn't OS X but Mac OS X and iOS are both OS X. See that banner in the back right from Apple's own event.
  • Reply 122 of 165
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Israel is technically a Parliamentary democracy. You might be one of those misguided leftists who hate Israel for whatever reason, but that doesn't change what they are.

Don't try to pigeon-hole me into left and right, as you always try to do to everyone to dismiss them. Again, this isn't the place for it, but Israel is not a democracy, no matter how much they keep parroting the phrase 'greatest/only democracy in the Middle-East' along with their US based apologists and Lobby groups. Israel can call itself whatever it wants, but democracy has certain requirements, and it is missing many, many ingredients to fulfil that requirement, in terms of how most human being define democracy here on planet earth. Again, you don't strike me as an open-minded or objective enough individual to honestly look into the situation to re-evaluate your views, so I don't expect you to. Suffice to say you parroting that Israel is a vibrant democracy is akin to those parroting about how Apple abuses Chinese workers (who you decry)- it's shallow mainstream media blabber whose truth is utterly superficial for anyone who has cared enough to do some research.
  • Reply 123 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Darwin isn't OS X but Mac OS X and iOS are both OS X. See that banner in the back right from Apple's own event.

if that is so then why can't i run apps written for os x on the ipad? and vice versa?

you can't. os x is not ios. they are related no doubt about that but one does not = the other
  • Reply 124 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post

It took me more than a few seconds to see the three chilling letters that must have caused Intel executives to lose sleep that night. That is hilarious.

Intel? lose SLEEP over that? Stop it.
  • Reply 125 of 165
    Quote:

define 'run'

"Operate as it would on a standard desktop", I imagine.

Quote:

and show me where os x is running on ARM?

An intern leaked that there's an internal build of OS X running on ARM.

"That's not proof!"

It is when OS X ran on both PowerPC and Intel chips from version 10.0a to 10.5.8.

We know that Apple has a contingency. We know that the only other architecture out there is ARM.

Unless Apple has their own quantum fab center. Which, given their money, is truly not nonsensically outlandish.

Quote:

2014 before any 64bit ARM chips (probably at best)

That sounds quite realistic.

Quote:

even if it was done and available now the performance would soon have you not using the device. Can anyone say 'Atom'??

Right; exactly. Even the best ARM*chip really isn't powerful enough right now for all of OS X, and the architecture itself currently lacks many features that X86 affords and with which we really couldn't do without.

But in the future? A future where Intel can't deliver on PPW or reasonable release dates? Who knows.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Intel? lose SLEEP over that? Stop it.

I know a guy at Intel. Chip fab division. He says they're genuinely concerned about ARM. It's sometimes a 'scramble around to make stuff better' level of concern.
  • Reply 126 of 165
    Quote:

if that is so then why can't i run apps written for os x on the ipad? and vice versa?

you can't. os x is not ios. they are related no doubt about that but one does not = the other

You're asking why you can't run Mac OS apps on iOS. You really should know why. It's the same reason that iOS for iPad apps don't run on iOS for iPhone/Touch or iOS for AppleTV. For starters they have different UIs. One uses Aqua, two use CocoaTouch, and one uses BackRow.

You never wondered by an almost standard build of Tiger wouldn't let you access Finder or run all your apps on the original AppleTV? You just assumed it was something other than their Mac OS foundation? Perhaps you thought it was Linux because most of their iPods use Linux. Do you not wonder why Android apps won't automatically run on Ubuntu or the iPod Classic?
    Are you going to now claim I photoshopped these images, went back in time 5 years and put them online just to prove a point? Not that I wouldn't do that but if I had a time machine I would go back in time to invest in companies.
  • Reply 127 of 165
    Quote:

?iOS for AppleTV? ?uses BackRow.

What? Is that what they call it? I thought it was LowTide?

And here I went sending Tim Cook an e-mail using "LowTide" and "HighTide" as UI differentiators?
  • Reply 128 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I know a guy at Intel. Chip fab division. He says they're genuinely concerned about ARM. It's sometimes a 'scramble around to make stuff better' level of concern.

Don't misconstrue my point. Intel is concerned about ARM but not because of some stunt supposedly pulled by Apple about one line of PCs, they are still small in Intel's big picture. Intel is primarily concerned about never cracking the booming smartphone and embedded devices market and Windows making the big leap to ARM this year.

Intel does have an ARM license though. Be funny if at some point they use it.
  • Reply 129 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Don't misconstrue my point. Intel is concerned about ARM but not because of some stunt supposedly pulled by Apple about one line of PCs

That? that was a joke. Guess I should have put a wink or something by it.
  • Reply 130 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What? Is that what they call it? I thought it was LowTide?

And here I went sending Tim Cook an e-mail using "LowTide" and "HighTide" as UI differentiators?

"Lowtide is the application running on the AppleTV. It is essentially a rewrite of the "BackRow" Application from the previous generation AppleTV to adopt the standards that Apple set for the iOS Platform. BackRow shares it's roots with the Mac "FrontRow" application, a system that provides the "ten-foot UI" that is expected from TV Set-top Boxes. This interface handles all user interaction, video playback, streaming, etc. It has been shown to run on other iOS hardware such as the iPod Touch."

I know it as BackRow but have no idea what Apple calls it internally. Since it's an appliance with no 3rd-party app support there are a lot of aspects that simply aren't well known.
  • Reply 131 of 165
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conwaycf View Post

With better patent law and enforcement, we would have had flying cars by now. And force fields that repel rain.

Well...here are flying cars...

https://www.google.com/search?aq=f&s...&q=flying+cars

Sorry can't find anything on a force field to repel rain!
  • Reply 132 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Oooohh..... this could serious attract antitrust scrutiny -- if true.

The have a MANUFACTURER making their product. They are basically BORROWING all the manufacturing processes that Apple perfected and giving the benefits of their R&D to a rival company.

Anti-Trust is about the marketplace.

Asus or anyone else is free to assemble at another plant.

>> The argument that Apple is too MUCH of the marketplace, is another story -- but the Tablet is too new a platform to bother implementing anti-trust. If it's a mature platform, and Apple is at 85% -- then remedies should be taken.

>> But your point misses the mark.
  • Reply 133 of 165
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    The design is Apple property. Obviously Apple didn't get so rich by letting people build Apple designed products and sell it under other brand names.
  • Reply 134 of 165
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

Asus or anyone else is free to assemble at another plant.

How are they free to... other than they are in China and basiclally slavery, theft etc is legal there...
  • Reply 135 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

How are they free to... other than they are in China and basiclally slavery, theft etc is legal there...

I'm trying to think of a way your post could be more wrong? it isn't coming to me?
  • Reply 136 of 165
    I have never seen so much whining on a forum other than of a losing sports team!!! Seriously Apple squeezing a supplier to stop making Asus Zenbooks? This is extremely pathetic by Apple as a whole. It seems like that any company who produces a silver notebook/ultrabook with black keys is copying!! Every other article is about Apple suing and pretty much losing now. Now I'm not a Apple hater and own a few of their products. But unlike many people on this site, I don't want to butt%#&* their products. And stop acting like Apple has never copied other companies patents. Apple should start putting efforts into updating that boring and played out iOS. Stop being a bunch of crybabies, it's just a product!!
  • Reply 137 of 165
    Cool! Let's run down the checklist.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbeez17 View Post

I have never seen so much whining on a forum other than of a losing sports team!!!

Sports reference, so…

√ Apple can't compete on a level playing field.

Quote:

This is extremely pathetic by Apple as a whole.

Within the context, I believe this one applies:

√ Patents shouldn't be allowed. They interfere with competition.

Quote:

It seems like that any company who produces a silver notebook/ultrabook with black keys is copying!!

Right, so there's this one…

√ Apple is afraid of any real competition.

Quote:

Every other article is about Apple suing and pretty much losing now.

Haven't really been seeing those…

Quote:

Now I'm not a Apple hater and own a few of their products.

Ah, the obligatory "I own Apple products, so despite my obviously trollish comments, I can't be attacked because I said I own Apple products."

It's like calling BASE! in Tag…

Quote:

But unlike many people on this site, I don't want to butt%#&* their products.

Tough one, but I'm going to go with a modified version of…

√ Apple fanboys are too stupid to know Android is better.

Quote:

And stop acting like Apple has never copied other companies patents.

And moving right down the line…

√ Apple copied everything from Android, so how dare they sue?

Quote:

Apple should start putting efforts into updating that boring and played out iOS.

This just writes itself…

√ Apple needs to innovate not litigate.

Quote:

Stop being a bunch of crybabies, it's just a product!!

Come clean now. You saw the checklist in the other thread and decided to write a post that fit the bill for every single point, didn't you? That's a good one. You got me. Ha ha. Well played.
  • Reply 138 of 165
    LOL Nicely done TS.
  • Reply 139 of 165
    Quote:

What I don't get is why Apple isn't all up in Intel's business for creating the MBA clone reference models.

I think Intel only specified the minimum dimensions and specifications for an Ultrabook. It was Asus that took it upon themselves to create the MacBook Air clone.

I really don't like the Asus Ultrabooks. For me there is something of a technology "uncanny valley". The Asus Ultrabooks are obviously trying to clone a MacBook Air... but the don't quite make it. The end result is something that looks worse than if Asus came up with their own design, or at least attempted to put their own spin on it.

To me the best looking Ultrabook that came out of CES was one that doesn't even look like a MacBook Air, the Lenovo IdeaPad U310/U410.

I actually think Apple should flatten the next MacBook Pro to look more like an U410 rather than a MacBook Air.

Something like...

• Reply 140 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

I think Intel only specified the minimum dimensions and specifications for an Ultrabook. It was Asus that took it upon themselves to create the MacBook Air clone.

I really don't like the Asus Ultrabooks. For me there is something of a technology "uncanny valley". The Asus Ultrabooks are obviously trying to clone a MacBook Air... but the don't quite make it. The end result is something that looks worse than if Asus came up with their own design, or at least attempted to put their own spin on it.

To me the best looking Ultrabook that came out of CES was one that doesn't even look like a MacBook Air, the Lenovo IdeaPad U310/U410.

<images>

I actually think Apple should flatten the next MacBook Pro to look more like an U410 rather than a MacBook Air.

Something like...

<image>

I think those are ugly. The ports and the fan vents. It's really an ugly MBP clone. I'm surprised they are even Ultrabooks since they have the internal space to use more than a CULV Core-i5/i7.

I think the best looking and built (as in I watched videos of them being handled to gauge rigidity and display hinge) are the Samsung models.

I assume you've seen my predilections on the next MBP design so i won't repeat them all again. I will say that I am leaning toward the Ethernet port still remaining but not n the aesthetically unpleasing way with the Lenovo machines above. That's one reason I think that a tapered design is important. Keep that ethernet port in the back where it's still thick enough and then taper forward to reduce bulk and weight.