Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Hmmm....

A lot of interesting dates coming up:
    • Feb 23 Shareholders Meeting

• Feb 24 Steve's Birthday

• Feb XX 25::1 Stock Split

• Mar 07 iPad 3 Announce/Preorder, ATV3 Announce/Available

• Mar 23 iPad 3 Availability

...That clears the way for announcement of the really interesting stuff...

I see what you did there.

I'm thinking we'll first get 1080p video from the iTS.

Then we'll get updated iPods with the Touch getting the same basic HW as the iPhone 4S.

Then we'll get an updated AppleTV with 1080p (wishful thinking: hopefully an SDK and App Store).

Then we'll get the iPad 3 with Retina Display but no capacity increase.
  • Reply 22 of 58
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

Hmmm....

A lot of interesting dates coming up:
    • Feb 23 Shareholders Meeting

• Feb 24 Steve's Birthday

• Feb XX 25::1 Stock Split

• Mar 07 iPad 3 Announce/Preorder, ATV3 Announce/Available

• Mar 23 iPad 3 Availability

...That clears the way for announcement of the really interesting stuff...

I was thinking about Steve's birthday as well.

Surely they're not going to let that slide without something occurring...
  • Reply 23 of 58
    Beware the Ides of March ....
  • Reply 24 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

In a way iPad 2 was like a 1S. If Apple sticks to two year cycles for major advancements then this would be the year. For me the combination of retina and a processor powerful enough to drive it is a major upgrade.

So does that make the iPad 3 like the iPad 1? In the sense that it will be revolutionary again?
  • Reply 25 of 58
    Quote:

That remains to be seen. I don't see iPad as a place to do a one to one mapping of programs like those. The more likely course of action would be analogs that offer a different approach. In any event there is no sign yet that Apple will address the biggest issue with respect to these sorts of programs which is free RAM. I could see Apple doubling RAM in iPad 3 but still not provide the user RAM needed. Retina will eat RAM as will related app stored bit maps for the display.

So what I'm saying is that there is not any certainty that iPad 3 will have the resources to run something like Aperture. Image processing requires lots of RAM.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Don't discount FCPX or Aperture. I don't think you can exclude apps for the iPad that work in tandem with the Mac apps over WiFi or USB. It's certainly a complex undertaking but I can see how having video and images sent from a Mac to an iPad for editing could be useful for a touchscreen. The Mac would be picking up the processing, not the iPad.

If you mean a standalone app then that will become more feasible with each new generation. We've already seen iMovie for iPhone and image editing built into iOS 5.0 Photos app.

A couple of things:

1) Avid Studio on the iPad is quite a nice app

Avid Studio

It gives iTunes on the iPad some competition and has a companion app on Windows (only)

2) Apple, likely, needs to enhance their entry iPad and Mac offering for Video Editing

3) Apple could introduce the Entry Mac app for Video Editing above on Windows.

4) RAM is important, but so are codecs and GPU processing...

5) You need not accomplish the entire editing task on the iPad -- rather do a light or first cut on the iPad -- then later more robust editing on the Mac -- for later, higher-quality viewing...

Here's an interesting example of editing on 2 levels:

Michael Cioni talks 4K workflow and FCP proxies for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

A good view! They were filming in Europe, transcoded into 2 codecs -- 1 for robust editing and the other for quick turnaround.

They used FCP7 to edit daily rushes and sent them to the US as iTunes Podcasts. At the same time, they were doing more robust editing using FCP7, Adobe.. and delivered these via mail -- because of size and timing.

If the iPad 3 were to natively support more codecs, AVCHD for example, it could do the First Cut editing say of a news or other event for turnaround in minutes -- and the same media could be processed an a more robust editor like FCP X on a more powerful Mac.

6) There is likely something that Apple could do, say FCP X Entry for both the Mac and iPad -- that is somewhere between iMovie and FCP X.

• Reply 26 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I see what you did there.

I'm thinking we'll first get 1080p video from the iTS.

Then we'll get updated iPods with the Touch getting the same basic HW as the iPhone 4S.

Then we'll get an updated AppleTV with 1080p (wishful thinking: hopefully an SDK and App Store).

Then we'll get the iPad 3 with Retina Display but no capacity increase.

You may be right about the iTunes stuff -- I swear that early one recent morning that some of my iTunes Videos showed up in the cloud on iTunes match???
  • Reply 27 of 58
    Quote:

For me the combination of retina and a processor powerful enough to drive it is a major upgrade.

Not for the shallow media types. But that's a good thing, since it will lower expectations.
  • Reply 28 of 58
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I buy it.

The rumor, that is. I won't be getting an iPad.

Announcement on the 7th, preorders that day, iPad 2 drops to $399, release second week of April.

Why not, cause it won't be called the iPad 4?
  • Reply 29 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Why not, cause it won't be called the iPad 4?

You need to get over that.
  • Reply 30 of 58
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    perhaps that retina display will be an upgrade option

i'd like to see iPad 3 processor, graphics with ipad2 display and better battery life

unless the retina display uses less battery

also with iTunes match, iCloud etc what storage is really needed

i will get my wife an iPad 3 or mb air 11,

what amount of storage???

32 or 64 (i'm assuming the entry level is still 16 but could be higher)
  • Reply 31 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

... Guys we're finally at the level were mobile versions of FCPX and Aperture are possible.

I think this is just hyperbole.

I use my iPad for writing and it can barely handle a book length document in memory while it tries to draw it on the screen, or figure out where in the document the cursor is. It sometimes takes 10 or fifteen minutes to sync the thing when you have programs with lots of large files.

There are many more optimisations of the system software (and probably at least a couple of processor generations), before we get to the kind of performance you'd see on a desktop certainly.
  • Reply 32 of 58
    Quote:

You may be right about the iTunes stuff -- I swear that early one recent morning that some of my iTunes Videos showed up in the cloud on iTunes match???

I assume you must refer to *movies*, as TV episodes purchased are all ready available for download (and AppleTV streaming) in Purchased.

If so, that's awesome.
  • Reply 33 of 58
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I think this is just hyperbole.

I use my iPad for writing and it can barely handle a book length document in memory while it tries to draw it on the screen, or figure out where in the document the cursor is. It sometimes takes 10 or fifteen minutes to sync the thing when you have programs with lots of large files.

There are many more optimisations of the system software (and probably at least a couple of processor generations), before we get to the kind of performance you'd see on a desktop certainly.

I wouldn't be completely dismissive. When you compare the performance of these machines to the recommended requirements when FCP first arrived I don't think we're too far off. If we get a GPU that has to support 2048x1536 that's pretty impressive.

The biggest longterm issue seems to be RAM. I don't see Apple adding RAM at the risk of unneeded power consumption and component cost when it's not needed. But even that isn't as much of an issue as it is with on-board NAND flash compared to a HDD reading and writing to the storage. I think there are a lot of optimizations that can be had just like they did with iMovie for iPhone. I was impressed at how fast it was for the file sizes I was editing.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

perhaps that retina display will be an upgrade option.

I know that most don't think that's a possibility but I've my concerns. We're talking about a 10" IPS display at 2048x1536 resolution with a new backlight.

It seems hard to fathom that it will be 1) within the same cost parameter as the current display tech (or cancel out the cost from lowered prices on one or more other techs), 2) be able to be made in enough quantity to sell to about 8M(?) people per month, and 3) still be within 10 hours or more for reading to video playback.

I hope that it all lines up but I have doubts. It seems to me that Apple could control the future of this market and make more money by offering this option either only on the higher-end the way the aluminium MacBook was only for the high-end at first.
  • Reply 35 of 58
    This is now becoming like a pendulum sometimes it swings in the favour of, that it will not be bulky as it is gonna use the IGZO display developed by sharp which doesn?t require a Dual LED lighting, and sometimes it says it will require a Dual LED Light hence the bigger battery. Though everyone is talking about Display Panels being developed by Sharp. On the other hand there is this another Rumour Mill in South Korea which says that the workers in the LG Display Plant in Seoul are working overtime to be able to cope-up with the timely supply of the Display Panels for the iPad-3.

God knows what?s gonna happen !! Steve in the heaven would be chuckling on how things are moving ! Especially with the Rumours reaching such a unprecedented new heights !!
  • Reply 36 of 58
    "Citing a "reliable source," Apple blog iMore on Monday claimed that the much anticipated iPad 3 announcement will take place on Wednesday, March 7, which jibes with a previous report from All Things D that said an iPad event was being scheduled for the first week in March."

Why is it that no one ever cites an unreliable source?
  • Reply 37 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bwana_Dik View Post

Why is it that no one ever cites an unreliable source?

Sure they do but they call them by name: DigiTimes.
  • Reply 38 of 58
    The retinal is cool but for the iPad to really break through, apple must put stereo speakers. The design might even call for three speakers so that both portrait and landscape would present stereo. I'd rather have stereo speakers than a lighter and thinner iPad 3 or later.

It's like having some beautiful device from the future but with the audio quality of a 1962 transistor radio. Yes headphones yes Bluetooth blah blah, I'm talking about the major omission of all designs of iPads: stereo speakers for our movies, iTunes, spotify, pandora, gmusic, directv, youtube, ad infintum.
  • Reply 39 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Rumored specs are certainly better than my iPad 2

Guys we're finally at the level were mobile versions of FCPX and Aperture are possible.

Indeed we are. I think Aperture certainly is a viable option; it could make changes to photo's that are exported to the iPad in Preview mode and be applied to RAW files once synched back to your Mac. I wouldn't know if something like that would fly for FCP, as I think video's would create much larger previews and you would be working on many clips at the same time. As Solipsism already mentioned Apple will need to balance the power consumption and the amount of RAM.

I would love an Aperture app, especially now that the Eye-Fi cards can connect directly an iPad, without the need for a Wireless Network. Link

If there isn't going to be an Aperture app with the release of the new iPad I think I'll get a MBA 13'' inspire of the glossy screen which I don't like...
  • Reply 40 of 58
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I was thinking about Steve's birthday as well.

Surely they're not going to let that slide without something occurring...

Apple Inc. won't celebrate Mr. Steve Jobs birthdate, not out of disrespect, but because they wish to follow Steve Jobs wishes to remain private... IMO.