Rumor: iPad 3 to be announced on March 7

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spinboy887 View Post

It's like having some beautiful device from the future but with the audio quality of a 1962 transistor radio. Yes headphones yes Bluetooth blah blah, I'm talking about the major omission of all designs of iPads: stereo speakers for our movies, iTunes, spotify, pandora, gmusic, directv, youtube, ad infintum.

Makes no sense. So you'd have to have FOUR speakers in it.

Two on the bottom for portrait view.

Two on a single side for landscape. Oops! There are buttons in the way, so that can't work!
  • Reply 42 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Two on a single side for landscape. Oops! There are buttons in the way, so that can't work!

8 speakers; as people can hold it any way they like.

Edit, good thing it only has one screen. Duh
  • Reply 43 of 58
    Love my IPad 2 and use it for 90% of the time compared to my Mac. Even my 18 month old son can switch it on, unlock it!!

He loves the interactive iBooks, but I've noticed they can take quite a few seconds to load up and sometimes crashes. I put his down to ram and bugs.

The biggest issue is the screen quality. Using a iPhone 4S everyday you soon realise the iPad needs a screen upgrade. Most probably order one but not tell the wife. I will argue the screen will be better for my son's health once it arrives!!

I think think this rumor is probably right and makes sense.
  • Reply 44 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimbo1234 View Post

Using a iPhone 4S everyday you soon realise the iPad needs a screen upgrade.

I hear that more often, but what kind of apps are people using that results to this statement? I use the iPhone4 and 1G iPad, and have absolutely no trouble 'adjusting' or actually seeing a big difference. (don't like the glossy reflectiveness, but that's a different issue) I use the iPad mainly for mail, web and photo's. You?

Oh, welcome to the forum.
  • Reply 45 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I hear that more often, but what kind of apps are people using that results to this statement? I use the iPhone4 and 1G iPad, and have absolutely no trouble 'adjusting' or actually seeing a big difference. (don't like the glossy reflectiveness, but that's a different issue) I use the iPad mainly for mail, web and photo's. You?

Oh, welcome to the forum.

Thanks! Been viewing for quite a few years.

Back to your question... iBooks would benefit immensley. Less strain on your eyes.

Also web browsing
  • Reply 46 of 58
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimbo1234 View Post

Thanks! Been viewing for quite a few years.

Back to your question... iBooks would benefit immensley. Less strain on your eyes.

Also web browsing

Which resolution would you like to see? I recently got to play with the new upcoming 10" Prime 2 from Asus with a full HD 1080P screen. It was absolutely gorgeous, if I could have Had it right there and then I would have bought. Unfortunately I have to wait till March before they release it. I really hope the Apple 3 has 1080p or higher because that is defiantly the future.

Why doesn't my Macbook have a 1080P, why are the tablets getting the better screen tech?
  • Reply 47 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Why doesn't my Macbook have a 1080P, why are the tablets getting the better screen tech?

Ditto ! This question baffles me aswell. One of the most talked about and one of the best looking Notebook and it still does not have a FULL HD screen, really baffles me. iPad to have full HD screen but still Macbook Pro cannot have a 1080P screen !! It just doesn't make any sense to me !!
  • Reply 48 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by augustya View Post

Ditto ! This question baffles me aswell. One of the most talked about and one of the best looking Notebook and it still does not have a FULL HD screen, really baffles me. iPad to have full HD screen but still Macbook Pro cannot have a 1080P screen !! It just doesn't make any sense to me !!

All Mac displays exceed the resolution in the iPad.
  • Reply 49 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

All Mac displays exceed the resolution in the iPad.

Huh ?? But None of the Macbook Pro have a Full HD screen !! They are not 1080P !
  • Reply 50 of 58
    Quote:

Huh ?? But None of the Macbook Pro have a Full HD screen !! They are not 1080P !

1) That's axiomatically wrong.

2) So what if it's not 1080p like an HDTV it's a computer. I certainly don't want a higher pixel density that makes all the elements so small they are unusable. I don't shop by spec list market jargon, I shop with my real world use in mind.

3) The only screen tech that the iPad is getting that is better than the MBPs are the IPS panels. Now the 11" MBA is certainly a candidate for the IPS panel but as you go to 13" and higher it becomes harder to implement and still maintain a good battery life. Even the 11" MBA is less than the half the iPad in usage time.

4) There is plenty of anecdotal evidence that the MBPs will get both low-energy IPS panels and double resolution displays with the next revamp. This would be the same as Apple's Retina Display doubling of the pixels.
  • Reply 51 of 58
    Quote:

1) That's axiomatically wrong.

2) So what if it's not 1080p like an HDTV it's a computer. I certainly don't want a higher pixel density that makes all the elements so small they are unusable. I don't shop by spec list market jargon, I shop with my real world use in mind.

3) The only screen tech that the iPad is getting that is better than the MBPs are the IPS panels. Now the 11" MBA is certainly a candidate for the IPS panel but as you go to 13" and higher it becomes harder to implement and still maintain a good battery life. Even the 11" MBA is less than the half the iPad in usage time.

So you are saying the only reason why the iPad's gonna have a Full HD screen is because of the IPS Displays ? is that what you are saying ? FYI...Sony Vaio has come with a Full HD screen 1080p and it does not uses a IPS Display panel.

Quote:

4) There is plenty of anecdotal evidence that the MBPs will get both low-energy IPS panels and double resolution displays with the next revamp. This would be the same as Apple's Retina Display doubling of the pixels.

Hmmm...That would be interesting. A IPS Display in Macbook Pro and Macbook Air. Even I would like to see that. Think the IPS displays are just world class :-)
  • Reply 52 of 58
    Quote:

So you are saying the only reason why the iPad's gonna have a Full HD screen is because of the IPS Displays ? is that what you are saying ? FYI...Sony Vaio has come with a Full HD screen 1080p and it does not uses a IPS Display panel.

BTW what is MBA and MBP ?

1) MBP means MacBook Pro and MBA means MacBook Air. Also, ACD means Apple Cinema Display, ATD means Apple Thunderbolt Display, TB means Thunderbolt, FW means FireWire, and USB means Universal Serial Bus. Through the last one in to cover all bases, plus people know what USB is but not typically what it stands for.

2) I said the only tech that the iPad has over the Mac notebooks is the display panel technology. I made no statement that resolution is tied to the panel tech. Here is some more info on LCDs: 3) Your focus on this marketing term is pointless. I don't care that the 15" MBP has 1680x1050 resolution. That doesn't affect the quality of the video.

4) You also need to understand that most 1080p content doesn't fit into the 16:9 aspect ratio of your HDTV. If you are getting 1080p from your cable/sat or internet feed you are getting crap that is probably no better than 720p. You need to understand how codecs work. The H.264 and AAC or AC3 codecs are lossy codecs. The best quality will be had from Blu-ray discs, which is pointless in so many ways for an 11" to 17" notebook, much less a tablet.

5) Again, Apple will move the tech of their notebooks as the tech allows and not because a few misguided users think that 1920x1080 is the only way to watch a movie even if it was shot with an 1:2.35 aspect ratio that still creates letterboxing and requires video scaling.

Quote:

Hmmm...That would be interesting. A IPS Display in Macbook Pro and Macbook Air. Even I would like to see that. Think the IPS displays are just world class :-)

It looks to be getting close. The Mac notebooks are the last hold out in the Mac line. I'm guessing they will do it for the entire MBP line at once, perhaps leaving the MBAs out as those right now seem like the low-end Macs, but I can't rule out they add it to them too. Perhaps economics of scale will be favourable here.

Also note that gong with 4x as many pixels in the iPhone 4 over the 3GS still put the pixel count lower than that on the iPad. The same situation happens on the iPad over the Macs. The current iPad has 786,432 pixels but will have 3,145,728 with display doubling. The current 13", 15" and 17" MBPs have 1,024,000, 1,296,000 and 2,304,000 pixels, respectively. But you double the resolution you get 4x as many pixels bringing the numbers up to 4,096,000, 5,184,000, and 9,216,000 pixels. That starts to get costly in terms of GPU power, frame rates, and power usage so it's no wonder why the iPhone and iPod Touch got the Retina Display first, then will come the iPad, followed by the Macs. It's an issue of scaling in two planes.
  • Reply 53 of 58
    Quote:

You're joking, right?

Quote:

Wh?at? No, one of the primary concerns with the increase in iPad resolution is the display quality may fall from IPS status. I don't see Apple compromising that, but that's me.

What we NEED are IPS displays in the laptops.
  • Reply 54 of 58
    Quote:

1) MBP means MacBook Pro and MBA means MacBook Air. Also, ACD means Apple Cinema Display, ATD means Apple Thunderbolt Display, TB means Thunderbolt, FW means FireWire, and USB means Universal Serial Bus. Through the last one in to cover all bases, plus people know what USB is but not typically what it stands for.

2) I said the only tech that the iPad has over the Mac notebooks is the display panel technology. I made no statement that resolution is tied to the panel tech. Here is some more info on LCDs: 3) Your focus on this marketing term is pointless. I don't care that the 15" MBP has 1680x1050 resolution. That doesn't affect the quality of the video.

4) You also need to understand that most 1080p content doesn't fit into the 16:9 aspect ratio of your HDTV. If you are getting 1080p from your cable/sat or internet feed you are getting crap that is probably no better than 720p. You need to understand how codecs work. The H.264 and AAC or AC3 codecs are lossy codecs. The best quality will be had from Blu-ray discs, which is pointless in so many ways for an 11" to 17" notebook, much less a tablet.

5) Again, Apple will move the tech of their notebooks as the tech allows and not because a few misguided users think that 1920x1080 is the only way to watch a movie even if it was shot with an 1:2.35 aspect ratio that still creates letterboxing and requires video scaling.

Welp, that about sums it up. And don't forget that TV pixels are rectangular, and computer screens are square, which also complicate things when trying to compare. Then there's the viewing distance one should take into account, and all of a sudden sheer spec sheets aren't all that comparable.
  • Reply 55 of 58
    Are we excluding the MBP 17 because it's 16:10 ??

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs-17inch.html
  • Reply 56 of 58
    Sooo looking forward to using Siri on my iPad3 to browse the internet. Think of it, full screen web browser not at your finger tips but at the simple commands of your voice.

Finally.... as a developer I would love to call up Siri via an API for my apps.

chat soon

appSavy.
  • Reply 57 of 58
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appSavy View Post

Sooo looking forward to using Siri on my iPad3 to browse the internet. Think of it, full screen web browser not at your finger tips but at the simple commands of your voice.

Finally.... as a developer I would love to call up Siri via an API for my apps.

chat soon

appSavy.

I just can't get myself to use speech recognition no matter how good it is. I don't what it is, maybe it's all the strange looks I get in public. It's bad enough that my face is constantly buried in my iPad that I think if I started talking to myself my wife would finally think that I lost it and have me committed. Maybe it's just that I'm so used to getting ordered around by a woman that it is just to hard for me to tell one what to do, even if she isn't real.
  • Reply 58 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What a polite moderator.

Two on one short edge. One on other short edge. One speaker is in common to each pair.

Hold in landscape and you have two speakers on sides, at either top or bottom.

Hold in portrait and you have two speakers on either bottom or top edges.

The pair that's on is determined by how you're holding it.