CD tray slipping out on icebook

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey-

I don't know if this is a huge problem or not, but I really don't want to snap my CD tray off by accident.

I carry my 12" ibook in a backpack with a special padded pocket. It seems pretty secure. But occasionally, I'll pull the ibook out and the CD-tray will slip open as the side of the computer lifts away from the bottom of the backpack. I store it drive-side-down because I have an uninformed paranoia about getting junk in the exposed ports or bending some component of the female end of a port. But better that then snapping my CD-drive off as I pull out the computer.

When the computer is sitting flat and open on a table or something, pushing the tray in after switching discs sometimes takes a couple nudges to get whatever latch it is that holds the tray in to hook in.

I would really rather not get my drive replaced - it seems like the kind of thing that could be fixed with a little screw-tightening or something. Anyone had any similar problems? What did you do to fix it?

thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Look into it, it may be nothing serious, but you really should have Apple adress ANY potential problem BEFORE your warrantee expires.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    if it's that close to latching, but not quite, you could just try flexing the frame a bit and see if that pops it back into place. (note: do any flexing with the lcd open, and don't flex the lcd part)

it sounds like it's just a hair off of where it should be. try getting in there with a small screwdriver and take a look at the latching mechanism, that might give you more of a clue as to what else needs to be done.

-alcimedes
  • Reply 3 of 5
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I have the same problem. I just handle the iBook carefully and have a case that stores it sideways. It was priced cheap because it was made cheap. Sometimes instead of ejecting the drive goes click click click and I have to push it to make it eject.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    My problem is even worse. After dropping my iBook at JFK last December the CD tray won't close at all. I still haven't had a chance to drop by an Apple tech to have a look at it.

I'm wondering whether anybody has tried to install a slot-load optical drive (like the ones used in the TiBook) in the iBook. IMHO, that would be much cooler than the flimsy tray mechanism. I'd probably pay $200 for a slot-load DVD drive for my iBook. I wonder whether MCE has explored the possibility.

Escher

[ 07-31-2002: Message edited by: Escher ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 5
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    lol, check xlr8yourmac.com

if anyone's done it, it will be posted over there.