Chinese 'iPad' trademark owner looking to block sales of Apple's iPad globally

Comments

• Reply 81 of 205
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walletinspector View Post

Ã*Pad - problem solved.

Nice! (Of course, a high resolution screen would have helped in seeing just what you did there.)
  • Reply 82 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Secular Investor View Post

I wonder if Proview can really persuade China to block exports of iPads and thereby throw out of work hundreds of thousands of Chinese workers who make iPads?

Do you really think Apple has the right to cancel its contract with Foxcon due to an export ban? Seems pretty far fetched to me.

Something like "If Apple steals IP and gets in trouble, Apple can simply cancel this contract." Huh?
  • Reply 83 of 205
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

The Chinese only own a miniscule portion of our debt - in the single digits.

On the other hand, does China really want to tell leading businesses around the world that their manufacturing lines are so vulnerable that a baseless IP suit can hold their entire product lines hostage? Some companies are already looking to take manufacturing out of China, due to cost, environmental and IP concerns. If China blocks the export of iPads made in China, the backlash by both consumers and international companies would be *enormous*.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Don't forget any references of the iPad name in the OS or firmware...or business and legal documents, etc.

It doesn't matter. China can not stop Apple from manufacturing a product in China for export solely because they do not believe that Apple has the rights to the name in China. It doesn't matter if the product and the box and the documentation say 'iPad'. China can only prevent its sale in China, not elsewhere.
  • Reply 84 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by decsramble View Post

China would be nuts to agree to that. An export ban on iPads would hurt Apple but it would terrify every company that uses China for manufacturing.

Only the companies who steal Chinese IP need be worried.
  • Reply 85 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

Dear China,

we'll just default on our debt and destroy your economy, MAD still exists, but it's economy-based now!

If companies like Apple stop manufacturing in China there will not be an economy to destroy.
  • Reply 86 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walletinspector View Post

Ã*Pad - problem solved.

Actually, it would have been interesting if Apple had employed a tactic such as this in the original naming convention for its products while maintaining ownership of the current names to cover possible naming knock-offs.

Does anyone remember PR1ME? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Computer)
  • Reply 87 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The problem with this scenario is that Proview (or the Chinese government) do not have the right to block Apple's manufacture and export of the product.

My guess is that you know little or nothing about Chinese law.
  • Reply 88 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Only the companies who steal Chinese IP need be worried.

Such a Tekstudian remark, must be you under that mask, Tekstud!

Okay, so Apple needn't be worried then!
  • Reply 89 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Market_Player View Post

No as much as the world hates you yanks already though for putting your noses where they have no business.

It's interesting that none of you non-yanks mind the billions of dollars [literally] in financial aid that comes out of the US every year. Hell, if all that economic aid that the US has passed out out every year for the just past few decades was actually repaid with proper interest, then there wouldn't be a US deficit (yes, even with rampant corruption, bloat and excess in government spending). I don't hear any cries of "no, no, no, we don't want your money, just keep it for yourselves" - no, it's hands out 24/7. How about every time there's a natural disaster, who's on the scene first? Agencies/organizations from the US. And what do the "yanks" get for offering (and executing) more assistance than everyone else in the world combined - they get labeled as "busy bodies sticking their nose in everyone else's business". The US has made some whopper mistakes in sending troops to various places, but how many of those were unilaterally-US? How many times did the US go in somewhere without the cooperation of forces from other nations (pitiful as they might have been)?

No, the US has done what no other nation has managed so far. Despite massive mistakes along the way, and massive problems yet to be tackled, the US is still the best option out there. Perfect? Not by a long shot, but frankly, better than any other option we have out here. People still immigrate to the US in droves every year - even though "the world hates those yanks". The ones that can't immigrate, simply emulate as best as they can. Why? Because even with the problems, it's just better in the US - better than the alternatives. Because the only people who "hate" the US, are the governments and organizations with a vested interest in the status-quo in their respective countries, as well as the ignorant pawns that have been duped into towing the party line and spout the anti-US rhetoric (even though it hurts them in the long run to do so, but such is the price of ignorance). So much venom constantly spit on the US, and interestingly enough, so much of it by anonymous voices on a globally-unifying medium (the 'internet') that wouldn't even exist were it not for the efforts initiated and largely executed by the US (look up ARPANET).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Market_Player View Post

USA and China have a love hate relationship; face it you are both fucked without each other.

And what do you think will happen to the global economy without the US & China both as significant players? (Hint: Welcome back to a pre-industrial world, mate.)
  • Reply 90 of 205
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

It's not like a swimming pool isn't essentially a larger version of a bath tub anyway, ...

No... It Isn't, as one is used for bathing/cleaning one's body and other for swimming/fitness.

Strawman Much?
  • Reply 91 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Everyone knows China is a corrupt country, but it's only a tad more so than the USA.

Justify this - there is no widespread conception that the United States has a corrupt legal system. However, there IS the widespread belief that China's legal system is corrupt. Most of the commenters on the board have tacitly agreed with the underlying assumption that China has a corrupt legal system in their posts.

By and large, there is no large scale bribery of the judicial system in the US.
  • Reply 92 of 205
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Go ahead and block all exports of the iPad! That will be a real genius move! Personally, it wouldn't affect me much. I'd just use my iPad 2 for a bit longer, I don't mind that too much as the iPad 2 is still awesome.

If a ban actually happened, then Apple needs to reconsider doing business in that corrupt, communist mafia country. China is currently one of the worst countries in the world and they usually side with evil when it comes to most situations.

Foxconn will have to fire a half million Chinese workers, because there will be no products for them to make. Let them starve! Fuck 'em! Foxconn can set up their main operations in another country.

As for the name, it doesn't matter if Apple calls it the CrapPad! It will still sell like hotcakes and people will be lining up to buy them all over the world.
  • Reply 93 of 205
    Quote:

It doesn't matter. China can not stop Apple from manufacturing a product in China for export solely because they do not believe that Apple has the rights to the name in China. It doesn't matter if the product and the box and the documentation say 'iPad'. China can only prevent its sale in China, not elsewhere.

Unless, of course, they pressure Foxconn to stop manufacture as well - which is within the realm of possibility (but unlikely for the many reasons previously cited by others).
  • Reply 94 of 205
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Do you really think Apple has the right to cancel its contract with Foxcon due to an export ban? Seems pretty far fetched to me.

Something like "If Apple steals IP and gets in trouble, Apple can simply cancel this contract." Huh?

No need. Apple pays Foxconn for every unit shipped. If Foxconn can't ship any units, Apple doesn't have to pay. No need for Apple to cancel its contract.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Actually, it would have been interesting if Apple had employed a tactic such as this in the original naming convention for its products while maintaining ownership of the current names to cover possible naming knock-offs.

Does anyone remember PR1ME? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Computer)

I used a Prime for solving x-ray crystal structures many years ago.

Quote:

My guess is that you know little or nothing about Chinese law.

[insult removed]

The difference is that I'm right and you're not.
  • Reply 95 of 205
    Fascinating. I'd like to see China try to enforce a global ban on Apple iPad sales, just because some company I've never heard of disputes ownership of the iPad name in China. I didn't know the Chinese could globally own any particular sequence of LATIN characters. How does that even work? Can I claim to own some squiggles that happen to form some Chinese characters and enforce it world wide?
  • Reply 96 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

No... It Isn't, as one is used for bathing/cleaning one's body and other for swimming/fitness.

Strawman Much?

Make a call with your iPad. Do it.

Type with ten fingers on your iPhone. Do it.

Come off it. You can't possibly have missed what he was saying.
  • Reply 97 of 205
    Quote:

You do realize that China is a Communist country and if they choose to stop the exports of ANYTHING they can and no one can do anything about it. Sure they can move manufacturing to other countries but that would take years, would not happen over night. Many here fail to understand that this case isnt "business" oriented, it is "Nationalism" oriented. Here comes the big bad American Apple trying to bully its way around (Like America does) throw money at everything and do what it wants with impunity. Even if Apple is 100% in the rights here, it is perception and "saving face" that is ruling the day on this one. If the Chinese government at all feels Apple is attempting to bully or disrespect them, they will halt shipments immediately, the old fashion "Chinese safety inspection" that lasts for years of cargo ships with Apple products on them.
  • Reply 98 of 205
    So development of these can run rampant...

...but when Apple outright purchases the trademark name this company can renege on that agreement and get the okay to block exports?
  • Reply 99 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parksgm View Post

Justify this - there is no widespread conception that the United States has a corrupt legal system. However, there IS the widespread belief that China's legal system is corrupt. Most of the commenters on the board have tacitly agreed with the underlying assumption that China has a corrupt legal system in their posts.

By and large, there is no large scale bribery of the judicial system in the US.

I meant that both countries are corrupt in the sense of being anti-democratic and being ruled by an elite group that the laws don't apply to (among other things).

I think the onus is on you to prove that there is rampant corruption in the Chinese judicial system and that judges are regularly "bought off." Merely saying (paraphrased), "everyone here agrees with me" (about that) is not the same as proving your point. I could easily do the same.

I mostly only wanted to point out that the original statement was (IMO of course), borderline racist and had "a tone" that was hardly different from making jokes about "darkies" or whatever. It came across as a mean spirited dig at an entire culture and race for no reason other than pure nastiness.

I didn't *report* the post as offensive or racist as I know these things can be open to (some) interpretation, but it seemed to me like a pretty disgusting kind of remark to make.
  • Reply 100 of 205
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

You do realize that China is a Communist country and if they choose to stop the exports of ANYTHING they can and no one can do anything about it.

You keep thinking that.

Quote:

Here comes the big bad American Apple trying to bully its way around (Like America does) throw money at everything and do what it wants with impunity.

Throwing money even at *GASP* the legal right to the trademarked name!